Anther antenna help request thread...

Sentry

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Huntington WV
Greetings. Need some advice -

I have been doing prep work for digital OTA and borrowed some equipment while my buddy was moving. He has a Samsung SIR-TS360 DirecTV that I was using for the tuner. Antenna is a new Radio Shack 80 inch VU-90XR catalog #15-2152.

My antennaweb.org information is attached in a jpeg image. (My address is not accurate on ANY internet map including this and I always have to tweak it)

I could get all the networks (3, 8, 11, 13 for me) in digital but they were very weak and I had to move the antenna around each time.

Plan to get a HDTV soon and want to get antenna right for digital only before weather changes for the worse.

So the question is which antenna for digital for my location (I know it is the same as analog but I'm only looking for digital signal if that helps or makes it less complicated.) If I need an amp I need advice and a recommendation on that too.

I have tried to read other posts so I don't waste your time... Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• antennaweb.JPG
    antennaweb.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 268
A lot of factors can affect your reception. If you are looking for an antenna just for digital reception you may want to consider a UHF only antenna. It looks like all of the digital stations in your market are UHF. The last information I could find didn't show WOWK as being up to full power yet. If you were able to get a weak signal for the stations you wanted with the VU90 I would upgrade to a more powerful UHF antenna. Then try to get it as high as possible. An amplifier would help, but you need to maximize your signal with a higher gain antenna and possibly height before that.

Sentry said:
Okay, thanks techpuppy.

After techpuppy's post, I got on Solid Signal's website for a UHF only and they sent me a personal recommendation of the Terrestrial Digital DB4 UHF HDTV Antenna (DB4) and to get it as high as possible. http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?CAT=&PROD=TD-DB4#MORE

Any other ideas would be appreciated!
I recentley tried the DB4 and the Channel master 4221. They're very similar. I found the CM better. If you can't find a local retailer you can get the CM4221 at crutchfield. It's cheaper then the DB4 and they have a 30 day return (they even pay for return shipping!) policy. In the end I chose a directional antenna. My towers are all within 3 degress.

teamerickson said:
Won't he only get one channel is he uses a UHF antenna?

In his market the digital stations are all UHF. Everything's between 15 and 47. WOWK hasn't gone on the air with their digital signal according to what I could find, but when they do their rf channel will be 47. Some of the analog stations are VHF.

You have digitals out of Charleston and Huntington as well as Portsmouth OH, but your location appears to be in a hole. Moving around you with the antennaweb map east about a mile all the stations suddenly become yellow.

Get that antenna HIGH UP there and you just might strike HD.

I'd go for a CM4228 with a Winegard 269 preamp, or an Antennas Direct 91XG with same preamp. Mount a 40' telescopic mast on top of the house and stick that baby WAAAAY up there!

If you get signal, add a rotator for Charleston (East) or Portsmouth (NW).

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, Charleston WOWK is out there, my boss and some other people have it. I will just need to get my antenna UP HIGH. Not worried about Portsmouth so no rotator needed.

Get that antenna HIGH UP there and you just might strike HD.

I'd go for a CM4228 with a Winegard 269 preamp, or an Antennas Direct 91XG with same preamp. Mount a 40' telescopic mast on top of the house and stick that baby WAAAAY up there! (NW).

I live about 30 miles west of Sacramento and am using an Antennas Direct 91XG UHF Antenna (91XG) with a rotor (because I had hoped to get San Francisco as well). Using the PA-16 UHF Antenna Pre-Amp, I receive the networks at 98-100% signal strength. But I can't get San Francisco (UHF) because of the coastal hills.

Certainly higher is better. I am at 20 feet and do get some other UHFs .... Been a great antenna!

Okay, thanks techpuppy.

After techpuppy's post, I got on Solid Signal's website for a UHF only and they sent me a personal recommendation of the Terrestrial Digital DB4 UHF HDTV Antenna (DB4) and to get it as high as possible. http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?CAT=&PROD=TD-DB4#MORE

Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Solid signal is pushing the antennas direct antennas to boost that brand's sales.

cm4221 $25
db-4 $60
$35 difference.

cm4228 $46
db-8 $100
$54 dollar difference.

Is it worth it?

Solid signal is pushing the antennas direct antennas to boost that brand's sales.

cm4221 $25
db-4 $60
$35 difference.

cm4228 $46
db-8 $100
$54 dollar difference.

Is it worth it?

That is a great question, and I would like to know if there is a difference! For example:

CM 4248 - $59
91XG - $79

The 91 XG appears to have more elements with greater gain ( 10.8 dB Avg. vs 16.7 dB max), but no data is given for true comparison.

Last edited:
the 91xg is more like the european antennas by blake and triax

the cm4248 and 91xg are not a good comparison in my mind.

I installed the 91 xg at my home a few weeks ago and am pleased with the performance.

the 91xg should easily out perform the cm 4248 and prefer the design of the 91xg over the bow ties. the cm4228 is a powerful uhf antenna but is overweight and handles multipath poorly.

antennas direct publishes their gain figures in dbi ...to me thats cheating pulling a fast one but at the same time not lying.

dbi=dbd+2.14

16.whatever-2.14= 14.whatever in dbd which most reputable antenna companies publish

the computer simulation looks promising...but who knows what to really believe. dont see many lawsuits over antennas out there

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

Last edited:
the 91xg is more like the european antennas by blake and triax

the cm4248 and 91xg are not a good comparison in my mind.

I installed the 91 xg at my home a few weeks ago and am pleased with the performance.

the 91xg should easily out perform the cm 4248 and prefer the design of the 91xg over the bow ties. the cm4228 is a powerful uhf antenna but is overweight and handles multipath poorly.

antennas direct publishes their gain figures in dbi ...to me thats cheating pulling a fast one but at the same time not lying.

dbi=dbd+2.14

16.whatever-2.14= 14.whatever in dbd which most reputable antenna companies publish

the computer simulation looks promising...but who knows what to really believe. dont see many lawsuits over antennas out there

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

Rick,

This was very helpful - especially the referenced website!

I am very happy with my 91xg and feel like I made a good decision now! I don't have to worry much about weather in Northern Cal.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts