Any advantage to having Joeys connected to the internet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gislands

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
California
Hi all,
I had a follow up question to my earlier one about splitters... is there any real advantage to having the Joey's connected to the internet either via ethernet or a wifi adapter? I don't really watch any on demand stuff. So I am guessing not. Do things load any quicker as far as the guide and how the guide is downloaded to the Joeys? Just curious. It is fascinating how the Joeys can pull so much stuff through the coax with the Hopper, like the guide info, dvr info and OTA dongle signals.
Thanks,
G Islands

If you have your Hopper connected to the internet all you have to do is turn on bridging on the Hopper and your Joeys are connected as well.

Okay, not that it's a big deal but I went to order the UFC ppv for this weekend and tried to do it from the Joey in the garage and it said it had to be connected to the internet or something. Not that it's a big deal I just ordered off their website. I should also check my internet connection on the Hopper and see if bridging is turned out. Thanks for the info.

Yes, your Joeys would have to be bridged in order for you to order VODs, PPVs, etc. from them.
To enable bridging go to your Hopper and follow these steps.
Press Menu on your remote, then select Settings.
Here Select Network Setup and then Broadband.
Here click on Network Details and then Bridging.
Select Enable and then Save then Save again.

It should be good to go from there. If you have any questions regarding this, feel free to let me know.

I just tried it and couldn't find the bridging option. I just realized I do not have the Dish Hopper Internet Connector. I need this correct? I have the Hopper with Sling currently.

Is your Hopper connected to the internet, either by Ethernet or Wireless? If not you need to connect by either method. A HIC is not necessary. Since wireless is built in to the HWS I'd try that first. If your Hopper is located near your router connect using a Cat 5 ethernet cable (preferred).

I just realized I was looking for bridging on the Joey not the Hopper, that is why I could not find bridging... thanks.

And if you have more than one Hopper, enable bridging on ONLY ONE!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Navychop, I have two Hoppers and two Joeys. Why are you suggesting to only to enable bridging only on one Hopper?

On a side note, up to a few upgrades ago, my Hopper would not let me enable bridging.

And if you have more than one Hopper, enable bridging on ONLY ONE!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

One Hopper connected will bring internet to all devices, bridged, including the second Hopper... and that second Hopper shouldn't be connected at all...

Reactions: ChadT41
One Hopper connected will bring internet to all devices, bridged, including the second Hopper... and that second Hopper shouldn't be connected at all...
And a second Hopper connected to the internet will cause all kinds of grief (assuming bridging is enabled). Been there and done that.

Once I enable bridging on the Hopper, I don't suppose I can use the Ethernet port on the Joey to provide a network connection for a Media PC (at the Joey location)?

(that would be really cool)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)