Any CES E* news on new HD channels

paychekkk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Scott or anyone else that attended CES. What is the status of the RSN's and INHD coming to Dish HD if ever. Any news at all on any new HD programming this next year. Last year at this time was good for E* HD, so far this years post CES looks real glooooooomy as far as any new HD channels go. On the other hand, every other commercial on tv I run into these day are the D* back to the future adds promising 100+ channels on HD soon. Hmmmmmm. Is Charlie slipping on his HD promise he made last year about making E* the best HD solution in the country or is last years pile of litigations eating his lunch.

Dish has 30 HD channels NOW!. D* promises 100 HD channels, but where are they. They do not even exist. When D* adds them, Dish probably will add them also.

Dish has 30 HD channels NOW!. D* promises 100 HD channels, but where are they. They do not even exist. When D* adds them, Dish probably will add them also.

Don't count on it...it's all about $$$ and E* seems to be very reluctant lately to do anything with additional HD offerings (see RSN's and INHD).

Don't count on it...it's all about $$$ and E* seems to be very reluctant lately to do anything with additional HD offerings (see RSN's and INHD).
It may be all about money, but in that case if they don't have RSN's in HD by the time my contract is up then I'll be switching over to cable or Direct TV. It works both ways!

Dish mentioned in their press conference that they have not lit up the RSN's in HD due to, "lack of content," and pricing conflicts.

I emailed ceo@E* last week about the RSN's and the new Versus HD channel and the representative responding basically said that dish has more HD channels right now than anyone else and they're happy with that.

I wouldn't expect any new HD channels for quite some time.

Thank you for asking Scott. When I saw the transcript of the press conference and it said, "Scott asked about the RSN's in HD" I knew it was you and was cheering you on.

Thank God someone was there to ask questions that E* customers want to know.

Echostar sure better release Dish Online in Feb 2007 as mentioned, or what's left of their credibility will be shot.
Just to be fair the February 15th date was never publicly stated by Echostar, that date was only stated on an internal company memo which I got a few copies of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well 1st 100 channels well right now I don't think there are 100 channels of ""National Networks"" that have their HD Channel up. So some of the channels Direct claims that they might have will half to get launched first. My guess is most of the HD Channels that will get launched will be just "Local Channels"" in HD is all. Anytime a National Channel gets launched like E! or Sci-Fi really any TV Provider will have a chance to add it to their lineup. But again that network must have it up and running 1st. So I think Dish will be fine and RSN's would be fine to add so we will half to wait and see and as far as INHD. I know at one time I read that they were having hard time finding HD Content to run on their second channel much less their primary channel. So I can see that about the RSN's that yes their will be some things in HD but most will be SD. Overall I would like to see some of the big "National Networks" added when they get their HD Channel up like a Sci-Fi would be a good one. Overall before anyone can get anything the Network must get their HD Channel up 1st so lets see which networks get their's up this year. Until then their's not allot of new HD Channels out their for anyone to add. Which for now still makes Dish the HD leader.

What are some the HD channels out there that "E" could be offering?

DTV (proposed) HD line-up. The channels include (most aren't available yet)
A&E
National Geographic
Bravo
NFL Network
Cartoon Network
SciFi Channel
CNN
Speed
Food Network
TBS
FX
The History Channel
HGTV
The Weather Channel
MTV
USA Network

Currently DirecTV has only 9 national HD channels, about 20 premium HD channels and about 20 regional sports channels so this new line-up of HD national channels will be well appreciated by all those HD subscribers

As a D* customer, I would be very happy with the HD channels E* customers have, esp the extra movie channel (Starz HD) and the recent adds (HGTV and Food). We get the occassional HD hockey game from Versus or one of the RSNs, but we don't have dedicated HD channels for these. Heck, they have to shut down TNT HD sometimes on Sundays in order to accommodate the NFL Sunday Ticket HD broadcasts. Its painfully clear that D* is suffering from a bandwidth issue. I suppose new birds going online this year should take care of that, but its all very muddy now.

Yeah Direct put things off and it shows in their programming and their hardware. They are playing catch up to Dish right now and like everyone has said there is very little new National HD Channels out their. Might be why Dish did not really say much about adding any new National HD Channels due to their is nothing out there right now. So why say anything until the networks get the channels up 1st.

There sure is a lot of E* bashing since D* makes a promise of more 100 HD channels. I expect a written apology come Jan 1 2008 when D* comes up WAY short.
Does D* have written contracts for all of these HD channels, even the ones that don't exist? How long will negotiations last? Is D* willing to pay what ever just to get the channels before next year? What will D*'s new HD pricing be (you didn't think they were going to add these HD channels for free, did you) ?

I wish all the "sky is falling" E* subs would move out of Charlie's house and realize that HD channels don't grow on trees, and start appreciating what they got.

Is D* willing to pay what ever just to get the channels before next year?

I read where someone is actually claiming that D* is helping fund the channels' transition to HD! Have no idea if its true, but I certainly cant imagine it would be true! That would be the dumbest move a company could make IMO. That would be like me helping fund a new Dow Chemical plastic production plant so that I can buy plastic resin from them.

I hope D* does get more HD, and better quality HD too, not HD Lite. I just wonder how many of these "100 national" channels will be PPV, or part time sports channels (NFL ST, CI, NBA, etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)