Any CES E* news on new HD channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I read where someone is actually claiming that D* is helping fund the channels' transition to HD! Have no idea if its true, but I certainly cant imagine it would be true! That would be the dumbest move a company could make IMO. ...

Especially since they aren't even carrying the HD channels that are available now.
I'd mark it up to someone mis-reading a mis-informed post in a forum.

Voom does not allow that. It's all or nothing.

All negotitions are about leverage and I don't see VOOM as having mch of that. If SIH really wanted to drop some of these channels i think that they could. Right now each side needs the other but if there were more alternatives i could see several VOOM channels going away.

Well there is not allot to be added due to not that many National Networks have launched their HD version of their channel. So there is just not a lot too add right now so it's a wait and see on the network end.

As everyone inferred, Echostar at this point is the HD leader. However, if DirecTV is able to bring more HD programming online as they say they will then Echostar must reciprocate or they will not have a tourniquet big enough to stop the HD subscriber hemorrhaging. Perhaps they will finally forgo some of the usless Voom channels in order to free up bandwidth. Alas, only time will tell.

No matter what happens, when my contract with E* expires I will remember being LIED to when they said back in JUNE of 2006 that the HD RSN's would be on by the fall. Then 3 weeks into football season they said they would be on "very soon".

Now they are saying it is due to lack of content.

Blatant lying is a quick way to lose customer support.

Yeah overall I like Voom due to they have HD Content that you can see any where else. Overall Voom should not be a issue when it comes to adding more HD Channels. Before anyone can add them everyone will half to wait for the network to launch their HD version of their channel. So overall bandwidth should not be a issue it's just right now there is not allot of new ""National HD Channels"" to add right now.

No but Time Warner and NBC Universal (who own Sci-Fi channel) did announce the Sci-Fi HD channel. So much for your 'Hot Air". :haha

http://www.syfyportal.com/news423124.html
Like I said Hot Air!!

NBC Universal didn't say when their channels will launch, but their announcement comes less than 24 hours after DirecTV officials told attendees of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas that they had set up HD carriage agreements with 60 cable networks, according to TV Week. DirecTV is looking to up that number to 100 by the end of 2007, according to reports.

What's hot air? The date? Well of course they don't have a exact date untill D* does since D* is the only provider going to add the channel this year. But as the report say's they are going to launch Sci-Fi HD and since you stated they did not I just thought you would like to see where they did.

A question I'd like to know is, if any of these HD channels including SCI-FI are going LIVE before DISH gets their new bird up. What difference does it make if D* puts up 100 HDs this year (which they won't) if DISH matches them and still has VOOM?
DISH will definitely juggle some things around to get a big draw like SCI-FI HD in a timely manner. We may see some PPVs disappear or a number of other ways to add a HD channel or two if they need to.

The funny thing is Universal HD was created so that it could air programs from SciFI, USA and Bravo in HD and so that Universal did not need to launch 3 seperate HD channels.

D* won't have exclusive rights to the SciFi HD. Just because they claim they will have it this year doesn't mean they will be the sole provider. E* would have to carry it also. Otherwise they should just throw in the towel. It won't take me long to jump ship if they don't. Unless Universal HD starts airing this year's content from SciFi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)