The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I asked a Dish retention rep, what's going to happen if HBO/CINEMAX come back to Dish, because I am not sure I want to continue pay for HBO/Cinemax, he said (and of course take it for what its worth) that all subs will be given a choice should they want it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

? Not following that. If they return anyone can decide as at any point and as with any add on to keep or not. As an example if/when Voom HD (4K?) comes back I'll make my decision about it then...........

Point of pride moment. I can truthfully say that I have never watched a single episode of any of those.
I saw some Mythbusters back in the day, but wasn't a regular show that I watched. Otherwise, I'm in the same boat. Never watched any of those.

Couple of things, first a question: We subscribe to Amazon Prime, and we are looking to add HBO specifically to watch all of GOT before it starts back up again. Are there any advantages to getting HBO via our Amazon Prime sub vs. the standalone HBO Now service? I assume the cost is the same. FWIW, our value for HBO is GOT, Barry, and the back catalog (before HBO left Dish we'd watched Band of Brothers and the Pacific series, started to watch Deadwood and would like to watch all of that before the new movie comes out, etc. - they do have a very nice catalog of quality programs.) We RARELY watched HBO live, since most of it was old movies (not "good old" like 40s film noir, but old like Barbershop 2.)

We may be non typical. We have a higher end Dish programming package (though we only watch a VERY small subset of those channels, we need that level (AT200 I believe) to get some of the channels we need, including sports) and we also sub to Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. We probably watch Netflix the most often of the streaming services, very nice diversity of movies and shows and docs. Prime has some nice orginals like Mrs Maisel (sp) and Jack Ryan and also some great old series (Man from UNCLE, Mission Impossible, Mr. Lucky, and on and on.) We use our Roku Ultra as our main portal into the streaming services though I really like being able to use Netflix through the Hopper interface (including searches) - easy in and out without needing to switch the sources on my AVR.

Reactions: joewhite57
If you use a Fire TV/Stick it would be a little advantage to get it through Amazon. If not I would say it doesn't matter and it looks like cost is now the same. We use Prime often along with Hulu, only because Hulu had a 99 cent a month deal for six months and I do like using the Fire TV Stick overall for other apps too so if I decide to subscribe again to HBO at some point it will likely be using Amazon. If DISH gets it back I'll get it from them IF i get it at all and likely only for a short periods of time for specific original shows or to re watch Deadwood etc.

So, just to confirm, it is possible to watch HBO channels live if you subscribe through Amazon Prime Channels? Does this work on all devices (e.g. Roku)?

So, just to confirm, it is possible to watch HBO channels live if you subscribe through Amazon Prime Channels? Does this work on all devices (e.g. Roku)?
That's a yes and no answer... Scripted series like GOT is pretty much live and follows eastern time. Non scripted like Real Time with Bill Maher come up somewhat later, sometimes the next day. When they had boxing, it could be a few days later. Bottom line, there are no channels like cable/satellite, you go directly to a specific porgram.

That's a yes and no answer... Scripted series like GOT is pretty much live and follows eastern time. Non scripted like Real Time with Bill Maher come up somewhat later, sometimes the next day. When they had boxing, it could be a few days later. Bottom line, there are no channels like cable/satellite, you go directly to a specific porgram.

OK. So, as soon as something like GOT starts on HBO-E it is available to watch on Amazon Prime Channel? I was aware of the Real Time delay already. Was really trying to understand when pre-recorded shows would be available and if there was a Watch Live option like described here that would stream what was currently on HBO-E:

Amazon.com Help: Watching Prime Video Channels

OK. So, as soon as something like GOT starts on HBO-E it is available to watch on Amazon Prime Channel? I was aware of the Real Time delay already. Was really trying to understand when pre-recorded shows would be available and if there was a Watch Live option like described here that would stream what was currently on HBO-E:

Amazon.com Help: Watching Prime Video Channels
I don't have access to HBO Now via Amazon, I have it directly from HBO. But, looking at my my HBO Now app and it should be exactly the same via Amazon, there is no Live button to be found. You have to find and select your program. You do have an opportunity to add to a 'My List' so that makes it easier find your regular programming.

I don't have access to HBO Now via Amazon, I have it directly from HBO. But, looking at my my HBO Now app and it should be exactly the same via Amazon, there is no Live button to be found. You have to find and select your program. You do have an opportunity to add to a 'My List' so that makes it easier find your regular programming.

Essentially that is what I was trying to determine, whether to get HBO via Now or Amazon.

Okay since there seems to be some confusion, if you sub to HBO through Amazon Prime Video you get to watch the live linear channels in the Prime Video app just as on cable/satellite with the Eastern feeds of all the channels + HBO West. However, you can also use your Prime Video credentials in the HBO Now app, so it's not either/or. If you sub with Prime Video (as I did) you get the best of both worlds, live AND on demand streaming.

Okay since there seems to be some confusion, if you sub to HBO through Amazon Prime Video you get to watch the live linear channels in the Prime Video app just as on cable/satellite with the Eastern feeds of all the channels + HBO West. However, you can also use your Prime Video credentials in the HBO Now app, so it's not either/or. If you sub with Prime Video (as I did) you get the best of both worlds, live AND on demand streaming.

Oh, cool! Thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: pattykay
One more question about the Amazon Prime HBO subscription. Can you watch older series, or older seasons of things like GOT? If so, wouldn't it make more sense to wait until the season finishes and then watch the whole season over the course of a week or whatever rather than pay for the subscription for the duration of the season. Personally I plan to wait Dish/HBO out. If and when it comes back I can then watch everything I've missed On Demand. If it doesn't come back I guess I'll look into other options.

I signed up for the Free Trial and the Watch Live seems to work great on my Roku. Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts