Any chance the new Hopper UI is going to be native 1080p?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

imperium19

Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
South FL
It's a huge pet peeve of mine that all the Dish boxes just convert between 720p and 1080i. If I had the choice I'd love having the channel's native resolution, but I'd also be perfectly happy with the picture being upconverted to 1080p.

With the exception of some PPV's, the channels broadcast their HD in 720p or 1080i. Plus I don't think Dish has the bandwidth available it up convert the signals to 10801p. They are still not supplying all the rsn's HD games or at least have them 24/7.

It was posted just days ago that Dish tested native resolution with users (testers) in the past and people didn't like the delay/flicker that it creates.

The picture is still converted somewhere to the TV's native resolution. My receiver outputs 1080i but 1080p is the TV's native resolution, so the TV converts it. Same with 720p TVs - if you set the receiver to 720p, some stations come through untouched but NBC and CBS, for example, are converted from 1080i to 720p (by the receiver).

Direct's HR series have 'native resolution' and some report using it, but for the most part I suspect most don't for the very reason Dish rejected it. It slows down channel changes and flickers as the resolution resets.

When you use it, somewhere along the line something has to convert it to whatever the native resolution of the TV is because that is all the TV shows. ie; if the TV is a 1080p tv everything you see will be at 1080p either because the signal coming to it is 1080p or the TV scales and covert as needed.

My problem is that, if the channel broadcasts at 720p, and the receiver outputs at 1080i, and the tv is native 1080p, that's one too many times being converted. You shouldn't have to interlace a progressive scan picture before upscaling it back to higher quality progressive scan. It's just inefficient, and it has to result in a loss of picture quality.

Yeah, it's not perfect. As I posted above, Dish tried it (and Time Warner still offers it) but rejected it based on feedback. I don't see the harm in them allowing it as an option though but by default, only allow one resolution. If someone wants add'l resolutions, make it extra steps to enable it and even throw up a warning about what they'll see by doing it.

Oddly, All of my tvs present the input resolution, unless directed otherwise.
Hopper 1080i, tv 10180i
BluRay 1080p, tv 1080p
Those concerned with 3rd conversion at tv level should have tv not converting.?.?

Oddly, All of my tvs present the input resolution, unless directed otherwise.
Hopper 1080i, tv 10180i
BluRay 1080p, tv 1080p
Those concerned with 3rd conversion at tv level should have tv not converting.?.?
How are you getting that info, by pressing "Info" or something on the TV ? I just happened to do this earlier today and my 1080p TV showed "1080i" as the info. I suspect it's telling what is being supplied, not what it's outputting.

How are you getting that info, by pressing "Info" or something on the TV ? I just happened to do this earlier today and my 1080p TV showed "1080i" as the info. I suspect it's telling what is being supplied, not what it's outputting.
My tvs show input resolution on power up...
I can verify pass-through resolution by connecting computer to tv via hdmi.
As I change the computer output resolution, it changes on the tv...
Computer set to 1920x1080 fills screen.
Computer set at 800x600 yields a small frame-boxed picture, until stretched (upscaled) to fit.

No
My tvs show input resolution on power up...
I can verify pass-through resolution by connecting computer to tv via hdmi.
As I change the computer output resolution, it changes on the tv...
Computer set to 1920x1080 fills screen.
Computer set at 800x600 yields a small frame-boxed picture, until stretched (upscaled) to fit.
Because your are seeing a frame boxed resolution it shows your TV is still displaying native 1080p resolution and your smaller resolution just fits inside of it.

Your TV is a fixed resolution device and can only display that resolution, but will accept various resolutions as inputs.

1. Receiver's output resolution is important: this means whatever resolution a given channel is broadcasting needs to stay that way. There is s list available online that tells you what every single hd channel is currently using. Some are 720p but more are 1080i. Both hd, but not the same format.

2. Scaling is a difficult process and should not be done more than once. Scaling can be done externally to a tv but is best left to the tv to perform. So, if a channel is broadcasting in 720p AND the receiver is set to hdtv 720p, then that particular channel will be received by the tv in its pure/native format. All the television has to do is scale the incoming signal to its own native resolution.

3. My plasma is 768p native (Pioneer). When I watch ESPN, I set the hdtv setting on the receiver to 720p because that's what ESPN uses. Next, my tv scales it (so, scaling happens only once) to 768p and VOILA! the picture is crisp. If I go back and change the receiver output to 1080i on the same channel, then the crappy scaler on the dish receiver scales the 720p channel to 1080i (making it not as clear/crisp) and then the awesome scaler in my tv has to rescale (that's two scalings = bad) the already messed up 1080i signal to 768p. Believe me, I've tested every channel and it's always the same. 720p channels look great when the receiver just outputs 720p through to the tv and vice versa. Dish understands this issue but voted in favor of just keeping one setting for all channels, unless you go into settings and change it for your current show. They are supporting the 'regular' customer who just wants to flip through channels without the unfortunate flicker that results from tvs receiving one or another format in the process.

If you're a videophile like me just take an extra step. Pause your show/game, look on the master list for the channel's native output resolution and set the receiver to match it. You will definitely be pleased.

Cheers!

1. Receiver's output resolution is important: this means whatever resolution a given channel is broadcasting needs to stay that way. There is s list available online that tells you what every single hd channel is currently using. Some are 720p but more are 1080i. Both hd, but not the same format.
Do you have a link to the HD channel list that is currently in use?

I set my hopper to 720p and then feed it to my google revue unit that is set to 1080p. My picture is always 1080p now and it looks great to both tvs( in my living room and computer room ) that I feed it to using my hdmi splitter.

I keep my Hoppers at 1080i since I think that more stations transmit that format than 720p. ABC and some of their affiliates like ESPN and Fox were 720p the last time I looked. NBC, CBS, and most of the cable channels I watch are all 1080i. One thing I liked about D*s boxes was their native capability although they recommended that subs not use it because it took a second or so extra when changing channels if a format switch was involved, and my boxes were already slow, painfully at times. That was the primary reason I switched providers. I agree that too many switches spoil the picture and would rather rely on the electronics in my TV sets to do all of the scaling.

Menu
System Setup
HDTV Setup
Choose 720p/1080i

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts