any Comcast deals in the Chicago area?

klen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 13, 2004
I used to be an E* customer, but my trees grew in and blocked one of their birds, and many of their best channels. As much as I dislike cable, it looks like my choices are between Comcast and Directv here in the Chicago area, and I am not even sure if I have a good view of D*'s birds. That's why voom was great for me.

So, until I get a very tall ladder and some very large gonads to go up my 60' trees with a chainsaw, it looks like I may be stuck with Comcast.

Anyone know of any good local deals with them, and how reliable are they?

Thanks.

-k

The best deal that I've heard of so far (and the one I signed up for) is the "dish buy back" deal. You get $25 off your monthly bill for 16 months. I got the digital silver package, HD dual tuner receiver for $5/month, DVR for $10/month, and a second SD receiver for another $5/month.

My total bill w/o tax is ~$63/month.

So far I'm really happy with the service. Be warned, however, for the HD Receiver there is a settings menu that can only be accessed while the receiver is powered off and then hitting the "menu" button on the remote. In this menu you can set the desired output resolution, native aspect ratio, and how the box will treat 4:3 signals (e.g. stretch it, leave it alone, or upconvert it to 480p, etc). The installer never bothered to talk about this menu to me......so when I first started watching I was thinking comcast was a sorry, sorry alternative to VOOM. Since finding and fixing this menu, however, I'm very pleased with the PQ. That, the HD-DVR function, the dual tuner, and the OnDemand features all have me pretty pleased with my new post-Voom choice.

You're not too far from me. (Wauconda) I called today, and they mentioned a similar deal. Rookie csr, so I might call back. She said that besides the locals, the only HD they have is ESPNHD and Discovery HD. Is that true?

-K

crspam said:
The best deal that I've heard of so far (and the one I signed up for) is the "dish buy back" deal. You get $25 off your monthly bill for 16 months. I got the digital silver package, HD dual tuner receiver for $5/month, DVR for $10/month, and a second SD receiver for another $5/month.

So far I'm really happy with the service. Be warned, however, for the HD Receiver there is a settings menu that can only be accessed while the receiver is powered off and then hitting the "menu" button on the remote. In this menu you can set the desired output resolution, native aspect ratio, and how the box will treat 4:3 signals (e.g. stretch it, leave it alone, or upconvert it to 480p, etc). The installer never bothered to talk about this menu to me......so when I first started watching I was thinking comcast was a sorry, sorry alternative to VOOM. Since finding and fixing this menu, however, I'm very pleased with the PQ. That, the HD-DVR function, the dual tuner, and the OnDemand features all have me pretty pleased with my new post-Voom choice.

klen said:
You're not too far from me. (Wauconda) I called today, and they mentioned a similar deal. Rookie csr, so I might call back. She said that besides the locals, the only HD they have is ESPNHD and Discovery HD. Is that true?

-K

No. From Comcast website:
173 ESPN HD

174 iN DEMAND HD 1

175 iN DEMAND HD 2

185 Showtime HD

186 HBO HD

187 WLS-DT (ABC)

188 WMAQ-DT (NBC)

189 WBBM-DT (CBS)

190 WFLD-DT (FOX)

191 WTTW-DT (PBS)

192 WGN-DT

195 Cinemax HD

196 STARZ! HD

205 Discovery HD Theater

Also, 200, CSN HD & now 204 TNT HD

Check out the website, sometime there are specials there. www.comcast.com

Sparkman said:
No. From Comcast website:
173 ESPN HD

174 iN DEMAND HD 1

175 iN DEMAND HD 2

185 Showtime HD

186 HBO HD

187 WLS-DT (ABC)

188 WMAQ-DT (NBC)

189 WBBM-DT (CBS)

190 WFLD-DT (FOX)

191 WTTW-DT (PBS)

192 WGN-DT

195 Cinemax HD

196 STARZ! HD

205 Discovery HD Theater

Also, 200, CSN HD & now 204 TNT HD

Check out the website, sometime there are specials there. www.comcast.com

OK, but besides locals, Indemand and premium packages (extra $), then that leaves TNTHD, which she said they don't have yet here, ESPNHD, and Discovery HD. Pretty much what I said. I like my HD, but I am not shelling out big bucks for channels that I don't have time to watch. voom was great because they had so much HD for such a reasonable price. I don't know what CSN HD is.

-k

klen said:
OK, but besides locals, Indemand and premium packages (extra $), then that leaves TNTHD, which she said they don't have yet here, ESPNHD, and Discovery HD. Pretty much what I said. I like my HD, but I am not shelling out big bucks for channels that I don't have time to watch. voom was great because they had so much HD for such a reasonable price. I don't know what CSN HD is.

-k

CSN is Comcast Sportsnet. And TNT went active on all Chicago Comcast systems yesterday on 204. If all Bulls, Cubs, Sox ( & Hawks if they ever come back) home games are not enough, then I don't what to say. I dropped E* to go with Comcast for just that reason. INHD has some good stuff, ESPN has lots of live sports. I kept E* HD but may drop that soon because all I get different with that is HDNet HDNet movies & I really don't watch those.

Sparkman said:
CSN is Comcast Sportsnet. And TNT went active on all Chicago Comcast systems yesterday on 204. If all Bulls, Cubs, Sox ( & Hawks if they ever come back) home games are not enough, then I don't what to say. I dropped E* to go with Comcast for just that reason. INHD has some good stuff, ESPN has lots of live sports. I kept E* HD but may drop that soon because all I get different with that is HDNet HDNet movies & I really don't watch those.

I didn't know that Comcast sportsnet was HD. THAT IS COOL. Probably tipped it in right there. My biggest gripe with Voom was no local sports, especially the Cubs last year, and the Bulls this year. I still don't know if I would get INHD here in Wauconda, but if I did, that would be a bonus.

Thanks for the info.

-k

klen said:
I didn't know that Comcast sportsnet was HD. THAT IS COOL. Probably tipped it in right there. My biggest gripe with Voom was no local sports, especially the Cubs last year, and the Bulls this year. I still don't know if I would get INHD here in Wauconda, but if I did, that would be a bonus.

Thanks for the info.

-k

You do get INHD there, chs 174 & 175 as listed in the guide.

Sparkman said:
You do get INHD there, chs 174 & 175 as listed in the guide.

That's where I got thrown off. Channels 174 & 175 are listed as INDEMAND HD channels. Basically pay-per-view channels with a DVR-type twist.

INHD is something completely different, full time channels- not pay per view-as their website shows:

http://www.inhd.com/indexFlash.jsp

Still looks like the way for me to go, at least for now, with the local sports in HD. Thanks again for all of the info.

-k

klen said:
That's where I got thrown off. Channels 174 & 175 are listed as INDEMAND HD channels. Basically pay-per-view channels with a DVR-type twist.

INHD is something completely different, full time channels- not pay per view-as their website shows:

http://www.inhd.com/indexFlash.jsp

Still looks like the way for me to go, at least for now, with the local sports in HD. Thanks again for all of the info.

-k

Believe me, INHD is what is on 174 & 175, not PPV, which is On Demand, not In Demand. These channels just shortened their name a long time ago to INHD, but Comcast still calls them In Demand HD. But they are not PPV channels.

Sparkman said:
Believe me, INHD is what is on 174 & 175, not PPV, which is On Demand, not In Demand. These channels just shortened their name a long time ago to INHD, but Comcast still calls them In Demand HD. But they are not PPV channels.

Hey, you had me sold on the local sports in HD. So they have ONDEMAND and INDEMAND? Very confusing, but since you have it, I'll take your word over a csr's word any day. I have come to appreciate Voom's csrs a lot more now. Thanks again for all of the info.

-k

I do hope it works out for you. Do you also have an OTA? One thing Comcast does not have yet is WPWR ch 50 in HD. There are also rumors flying around that WCIU
launch its HD coverage soon. Also, be prepared for pretty lousy PQ on the analog channels, especially if your TV is 36" or larger. All & all, I've been pretty happ with them, but if I have to watch somthing on the analog channels, sometimes I just go away from the big screen & watch on a smaller TV, it doesn't look quite so bad.
Good Luck

Sparkman said:
I do hope it works out for you. Do you also have an OTA? One thing Comcast does not have yet is WPWR ch 50 in HD. There are also rumors flying around that WCIU
launch its HD coverage soon. Also, be prepared for pretty lousy PQ on the analog channels, especially if your TV is 36" or larger. All & all, I've been pretty happ with them, but if I have to watch somthing on the analog channels, sometimes I just go away from the big screen & watch on a smaller TV, it doesn't look quite so bad.
Good Luck

I have a 10' Winegard OTA that Voom supplied me. I was thinking of taking it down, but I also have it hooked into my audio receiver. It helps a ton for bringing in Chicago radio stations. My tv is only 32", but I am in the market for a larger one. My entertainment center will handle up to a 42" widescreen.

At any rate, Comcast will be $29.99/month for Digital Silver package including HBO for the first 6 months, then $44.99 for months 7-9, and so on, with no commitment. I am hoping we will know what E* & D* are doing before the end of the year.

Thanks again.

-k

one warning for you regarding OTA. The comcast box doesn't have an integrated OTA tuner and, therefore, also doesn't have an input for OTA. If you want to use it.....you'll have to support it through a separate box.

crspam said:

One last question- Do you think the DVR is necessary if you have the OnDemand feature?

-k

klen said:
One last question- Do you think the DVR is necessary if you have the OnDemand feature?

-k
Most Definately, YES DVR lets you watch what you want, when you want. On Demand has programs they have selected, may or may not be what you like, & only from certain networks. In 4 months, we have watched ON Demand shows maybe 6 times, never ordered a PPV, but have recorded & watched may 100 programs. It does let you set a show to record only 1st run episodes & will record everytime. We have 3 of the DVR's, & while another thread speaks of the prolems, we haven't experienced it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts