Any digital channels in the clear?

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
My in-laws in Hemet CA are about to purchase their first plasma TV. They are on TWC, formerly Adelphia, and I was wondering what they can expect to find when they scan for channels. Are they definately going to need an HD STB in order to get their locals in HD, or should I set up an antenna for them?

I read in another thread that it is illegal for cable companies to encrypt HD locals - they must be carried in the clear in either QAM or ATSC format. Has anyone else heard of this? By the way, they do subscribe to the basic analog tier and do not want a dish or antenna on their house. All I want to know is if they will really get their local broadcast networks in HD without purchasing anything else or getting another box.

I don't know about California, But TWC here in Florence, South Carolina I get 2 cbs-hd, 2 fox-hd, 2 abc-hd, 1 nbc-hd, and discovery hd. also ETV HD. That is with a qam scan, atsc scan you will need an antenna and you should be able to pick up some locals, but it depends on your location from towers, tree's, buildings, and terrain between your antenna and the stations broadcast towers, and also the strenth those towers are transmitting. So with one or both you should be able to get some hd without buying anything else.

It is against FCC rules to encrypt local broadcast channels but that doesn't mean that the cableco obeys the rules.

Go to AVS Forum, find the thread for your local market, and see what others pick up with their QAM tuners. If they have any level of service, even analog, they should be able to get the channels. Do a *digital* scan and see what shows up. The channel numbers will be "odd", like 92.4 or 105.2 and so on.

In Cinci TWC has locals, TNT HD, HD Theater and a few educational, government and educational access channels in the clear.

You will need a TV with a QAM tuner.

Ask specifically if the TV you are looking at has a QAM tuner. If the sales droid says "They all have it", he is either lieing or been misinformed. Not all TVs have QAM tuners. All new larger TVs have to have ATSC tuners, but not QAM tuners. No matter what anyone tells you, not all new TVs have QAM tuners. Many or even most do. Not all.

I only make a point of this because three times in the last year I have been looking for a new TV and all three times every sales person says, "They all have it". The first time, I bought a set that didn't. After I returend the set withing 90 minutes and let the manager have it for misinforming his sales people I have been much more careful.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)