Any English Programming on SATMEX 8?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cosmo Blatz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
S.E. WI and Central NV
Getting ready to head for my place in Nevada to revive the 10' C-band dish.

Looks like Satmex 8 and Anik F3 are my true south satellites. (If I'm reading these maps correctly.) Satmex 8 seems to have stronger signals. Are there TP's on Satmex 8 that a non-Spanish speaking person could recognize when sweeping for the signal? (Starting Spanish 101 this fall.)

Another question:
I will be using a Titanium C1-PLL LNBF. At true south, is LNBF 0 skew mark facing up or at 45 degrees clockwise when standing in front of the dish?

I have line of sight to the end of the world!
T_south1_zps0b3df3a5.jpg?t=1405534591

There are 2 Bloomberg channels in English on 116.8. The bird is also my true south. It has a new name too.

Norman

That's got to be North of Area 51? It's mighty lonely out there unless you stay up all night.;>)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I believe you can place the heatsink at the 10:30 or 4:30 position, when looking at the dish face, and the dish it set to true south.
Then to 'touch up' if the mark is up, or down, set it to directly up, or down. If it's horizontal, set it to perfectly horizontal.

0 is set to the 12 o 6 o'clock position for the C1-PLL.

That's got to be North of Area 51? It's mighty lonely out there unless you stay up all night.;>)

Actually, North and West of 51. There are close to 300 of us crazies living within the area shown in the picture. We do get plenty of 'free air shows'. Never get used to the sonic BOOMS!
No building codes! Although, a sizable dish farm might bring a visit from the humorless folks in the black (or white) Suburbans.

I'll send you a broken analog sat receiver if you can figure out were my place is located (within 1 mile). There will be a $25.00 shipping charge.

Last edited:
0 is set to the 12 o 6 o'clock position for the C1-PLL.

PERFECT! Thanks for clearing that up ke4est.
Once I get out there, internet is a sketchy proposition. So, gotta ask all the questions and store all the Lyngsat and Diishpointer data now. Thank God for Snagit. Snagit lets you copy and save web pages - even entire scrolling web pages like Lyngsat's. I highly recommend the program. Can copy and save any video too.

Actually, North and West of 51. There are close to 300 of us crazies living within the area shown in the picture. We do get plenty of 'free air shows'. Never get used to the sonic BOOMS!
No building codes! Although, a sizable dish farm might bring a visit from the humorless folks in the black (or white) Suburbans.

I'll send you a broken analog sat receiver if you can figure out were my place is located (within 1 mile). There will be a $25.00 shipping charge.

Austin, NV?

If I'm right, keep the broken receiver... Already have an old HTS. But, ... I'll raise you several DVB-S receivers of your choice.

Not a bad guess. But no. Further south.
Okay, my very last guess is Goldfield, although I can't for the life of me figure why anyone would want to live where the average temperature is only 81deg.? Unless of course they spend the other part of their life in snow ten ft. Deep...:>)

Okay, my very last guess is Goldfield, although I can't for the life of me figure why anyone would want to live where the average temperature is only 81deg.? Unless of course they spend the other part of their life in snow ten ft. Deep...:>)

WINNER! WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER! Well done.

Do you really need english language channels when the Eutelsat birds have sports that are familiar enough to understand without needing pxp/color commentators and watching some attractive hispanic women in bikinis or skimpy clothing? ;)

Seriously, you don't need to know english - the channels have logos that are identifiable if you understand what channel the logo represents, or you can find logos and channel names usually at the top of the hour when that channel or network runs a promo or station ID.

You'll know you are golden when at about midnight a lot of Mexican channels and radio stations will end their broadcast day or take a break from programming to play their Mexican national anthem. I don't know why we in the U.S. are so stupid not to play our Star Spangled Banner at midnight local time as a 3 minute break from programming or infomercials.

Do you really need english language channels when the Eutelsat birds have sports that are familiar enough to understand without needing pxp/color commentators and watching some attractive hispanic women in bikinis or skimpy clothing? ;)

Seriously, you don't need to know english - the channels have logos that are identifiable if you understand what channel the logo represents, or you can find logos and channel names usually at the top of the hour when that channel or network runs a promo or station ID.

You'll know you are golden when at about midnight a lot of Mexican channels and radio stations will end their broadcast day or take a break from programming to play their Mexican national anthem. I don't know why we in the U.S. are so stupid not to play our Star Spangled Banner at midnight local time as a 3 minute break from programming or infomercials.

Good points.
I just don´t know why most of the weather girls on Mexican tv are wearing so little.

As for the Mexican national anthem, I understand they do it all over the country in accordance with some law.
Maybe there´s another law requiring weather girls to tell about cloudy or sunny skies, wearing something that will keep the folks from changing the channel. :D

O.K. I'll look for....logos and weather girls!
Made it to Goldfield but haven't had time to fire up the FTA stuff yet. Put on the C-band LNBF and ran a new RG-6 to the trailer. Also made some shorter RG-6 cables that can be used outside at the dish. I plan to set up everything on a picnic table next to the dish. Sprayed PB Blaster into the actuator. Maybe even after 15 years of hibernation it might work. Found the two Ku dishes that I stowed under the trailer 15 years ago. They are DX Brand dishes 1.2 meters, 11.7 - 12.2 GHz, 41.5 dB Min gain. Hope I can find all the hardware! Also found the old Orbitron C-Ten assembly manual. Installed a new toilet, water heater, and a bunch of PEX tubing today. I'm beat!
Doing plumbing work in an RV is not fun. No leaks. AC is ice cold. Reefer is keeping the beer ice cold. Life is good! Just need me sum weather girls!

EDIT: And someone here has unsecured WiFi !

Last edited:
Found a note I made 15 years ago stating that I parked the dish on S-3. Checked my vintage SkyVision catalog and it showed S-3 was at 88.8 West. So, I figured what the heck, G-28 is at 89 West, maybe the dish is close enough to pick up G-28 without moving it. Turned the LNBF to the skew listed for G-28. Hooked up the RG-6. Did a blind scan. I'm watching a movie right now! Q is fluctuating between 49 and 60 but pic and sound are solid. Not bad for a dish parked for 15 years!

Need to get over to true south and do some tweaking. I'm thinking this old dish is still on the arc!

Checked the ribbon cable under the trailer while doing some other work. Mice have chewed through the polorotor wires but the sensor and actuator power segments look O.K.

UPDATE:

The actuator works fine! Have 16 C-Band satellites programmed into the system. 1112 stored channels. Need to do some serious house cleaning. Still haven't done any tweaking except to reset the skew at true south. Was happy to see there are still some live news feeds out there. Caught the helicopter feed of that water main break in LA. Then there were the cock fights with a ringside announcer? WTF? Gotta love C-Band!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts