Any FTA equipment dealers NOT SHIP VIA FEDEX.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

motorcycle_rider

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 8, 2004
Northeast Michigan
Basically Fed-Ex in my area blatently sucks. I am looking to order more FTA equipment but all seem to want to ship Fed-EX. Does anyone know of a vendor that ships UPS?

I think if you ask Sadoun to ship via UPS or USPS they should be able to accomadate you.

I have to agree about Fed Ex. I ship up to 50 packages a week thru them, when I first moved to my new location it took FOUR pickup calls before they finally came up here. On the fourth call I told them that I was going to change to UPS if they werent here the next day, that did it.

Well

I will check with Sadoun.

Today I was on the phone with Fed-Ex complaining about a package not being delivered and as I was on the phone with them (i was at home making this call) the driver tagged it as delivery attempted no one home. No truck at all stopped by as where i was sitting the window was open and I could see both streets I live on. So that topped it off. I will never order from a company that ships via Fed-Ex only again.

When I see a website shipping FedEx I too usually walk the other way. FedEx has dropped the ball way too many times to my home address. Just a couple of examples as I have too many to list:

Once took them 22+ days for a package to go from California to Louisiana. It went from CA to TN to CA to TN to CA to North CA to CA to TN to LA. I looked at the label and found nothing confusing on the package.

It once took them 6 days for my package to get from one of their locations just over an hour drive from my house! After 3 days I drove over to their location once I found out that they had their hands on it. When I got their they couldn't find it! I called back to the CSR number and the lady told me it was in a hub between Baton Rouge and Lafayette. I started laughing histerically! The CSR kept asking "What?" "What?". I asked her "Where are they sorting this stuff at? On a barge in the Atchafalya Basin?"

digiblur said:
When I see a website shipping FedEx I too usually walk the other way. FedEx has dropped the ball way too many times to my home address. Just a couple of examples as I have too many to list:

Once took them 22+ days for a package to go from California to Louisiana. It went from CA to TN to CA to TN to CA to North CA to CA to TN to LA. I looked at the label and found nothing confusing on the package.

It once took them 6 days for my package to get from one of their locations just over an hour drive from my house! After 3 days I drove over to their location once I found out that they had their hands on it. When I got their they couldn't find it! I called back to the CSR number and the lady told me it was in a hub between Baton Rouge and Lafayette. I started laughing histerically! The CSR kept asking "What?" "What?". I asked her "Where are they sorting this stuff at? On a barge in the Atchafalya Basin?"

I can relate to this...quite a bit....why? because I was working with a place that used fedex or ups or usps....generally I prefered ups....anyway there was a package a guy called up for..it was going to La Porte IN (as in Indiana)....for some reason midway cross country (I think from California) the thing takes a nosedive to Louisana....now I eventually had to send out a send shipment just because of this but for awhile I was thinking what were they thinking...

Then it got to me....dislexia! Someone must have asked where it was going to and the first things in the town was LA....

Also keep in mind that fedex I think also sends out via some subcontractors called rps which well hardly anyone knows about.

If you REALLY want to hear some funny things on this try buying the "Junkyard willy" cd's. Basically a guy had a phone number 1 digit off UPS...so he decided to fire back...

<-- In the minority likeing FedEx.

I like it as a shipper because setting up an account is free and I can print the shipping labels from my house and drop the package at Kinkos up the road - no hassels.

UPS on the other hand you pay a premium if you don't drop it of at the UPS hub.

I dont' ship enough to justify paying for pickups.

When receiving packages my hangup with UPS is that it always takes at least 1 day longer than what they quote. I think it's just my driver up here.

FedEx was a pain when I lived alone becuase they've never just leave the package, regardless of the bazillion waivers I've signed.

Shawn95GT said:
<-- In the minority likeing FedEx.

I like it as a shipper because setting up an account is free and I can print the shipping labels from my house and drop the package at Kinkos up the road - no hassels.

UPS on the other hand you pay a premium if you don't drop it of at the UPS hub.

I dont' ship enough to justify paying for pickups.

When receiving packages my hangup with UPS is that it always takes at least 1 day longer than what they quote. I think it's just my driver up here.

FedEx was a pain when I lived alone becuase they've never just leave the package, regardless of the bazillion waivers I've signed.

Hmmm... I guess it differs in certain areas. I print UPS labels from the house and drop them off at the mail center down the street for no additional charge.

digiblur said:
Hmmm... I guess it differs in certain areas. I print UPS labels from the house and drop them off at the mail center down the street for no additional charge.
Nice - maybe UPS got better on the shipping side while I wasn't looking.

I'll check into it.

Thanks!

Shawn

digiblur said:
I called back to the CSR number and the lady told me it was in a hub between Baton Rouge and Lafayette. I started laughing histerically! The CSR kept asking "What?" "What?". I asked her "Where are they sorting this stuff at? On a barge in the Atchafalya Basin?"
"HUB"? Between BR and Lafayette? Hahahaha, they must be using the closed welcome center/rest area in the middle of the Atchafalya Freeway bridge! LOL...

I generally prefer UPS, since I've had a couple of VERY expensive pro video items get damaged via FedEx. But I've had okay luck with them otherwise. I've shipped stuff out using both, there's a FedEx office within 2 miles of my house in Metairie, and a FedEx Kinkos about 4 miles away. Their New Orleans operation appears to be based in Kenner, apparently at (or near) Armstrong International.

As for UPS, they have a major hub off of the Earhart Expressway in Harahan. When I use them to ship, I bring the package there.

Last edited:
Fedex in my area sucks too... but so too does UPS. Packages have been delivered to the wrong house more than once with either. I prefer USPS, especially if they will deliver to a PO Box. That way you know where your package is and don't have to worry about it being sent back to shipper in 3 days or so.

Sadoun ships mainly FedEX or USPS to most areas in the USA. We also use UPS on occasions if the customer requests it. It is usually more expensive to ship by UPS vs FedEX. UPS also is very good at adding all these extra surcharges like OS1, OS2, etc (specially when shipping dishes).

If you have a problem with a FedEX home delivery truck at your address, I would recommend you contact FedEX at 800-GO-FedEX and complain about the delivery. Usually, FedEX home delivery is done by independant subcontractors. If FedEX gets many complaints about a certain driver/route, they will take the route away from that subscontractor and offer it to someone else. Usually the driver is the 1st to go, then the subcontractor.

USPS will deliver up to 80cm DISH without any problems. When it gets to the 90CM dish+ sizes, USPS will not take it.

I have good luck (knock on wood) with them all. My choices are: FedEx Ground or Home, DHL, USPS Priority (small items) and UPS. Ups is getting pricey, and slower service in my opinion.

We use UPS on most medium sized packages. I have known our driver for over 15 years, so there are no local problems in or outbound. But as others have said, UPS is getting ridiculous with other charges for oversize boxes and a few other unusual and creative things they have invented. I had a running battle with them for two years about the oversize status of a 90 cm Paraclipse antenna, which at the time was 129 inches in their 130 inch length and girth formula, causing no end of attempts by their auditors in the processing line to attempt to charge me penalties for shipping an oversize box. Two things happened to change the situation; one was that my last shipment of Paraclipse boxes was an inch or two larger according to that formula, bumping me up to the over 130 status, and this coincided with the introduction of the new Oversize 3 rating. No more 50.00 penalties to fight----they just automatically charged you at least 40-50 dollars more, making the cost to Milwaukee (110 miles away) over 75.00, and over 90.00 to anywhere west of the Rockies from the Upper Midwest. My solution on oversize packages such as the 90 cm antenna was to switch to BAX GLOBAL Air Freight, which has a "BaxSaver" discount/space available air service, as well as a new Economy Air Service. The former gets things to anywhere in the country in 3 business days or less, and I can usually ship TWO of these antennas for less money than UPS charges for one Oversize 3 box. There are residential delivery surcharges, and if you are really distant from one of their offices, additional remote delivery charges. But if you are near an airport with a BAX office nearby, and/or can deliver to a business address or are willing to pick up at BAX yourself, prices are much more competitive than UPS for multiple as well as large package shipments. Smaller satellite receivers such as the Traxis DBS-3500 easily fit into the Post Office flat rate box, which has the same price anywhere in all 50 states
and Puerto Rico, if it can fit into the box. Priority Mail is generally quicker and cheaper than the alternatives for small items, and even though they do offer a tracking method, it leaves a lot to be desired. If you have the unfortunate experience of actually losing something in the Postal system before it reaches its destination, it can take 60 days to process a claim. The tracking system is very vague, and often impossible to determine where the package is---just that it was entered into their system at one point, and more confirming data is not available until it reaches the final destination. Express Mail is easier to track, but still has its failings.

Don't get me started on FedEx. They purchased RPS, and use their former fleet in relabeled trucks that say FedEx Ground. Problem in many rural areas is that you never know who is going to handle the box for the last mile or two; it often gets left at the Post Office and you have to go retrieve it. I guess that is better than one attempt FedEx made in my icy driveway one winter day. They threw a box in a plastic bag and tied it to a telephone pole off the side of the middle of the driveway, and I did not notice it until my fuel delivery person mentioned a bag tied to a telephone pole. A pickup notice could have been put in our rural mailbox on the highway, rather than doing a game of hide and seek with a high value item.

Yes, we do use companies other than FedEX here at Global Communications!

No carrier is 100% perfect. We have tried them ALL. BAX was way too expensive as compared to other freight carriers. We don't use BAX anymore. I am glad it is working out fine for you Mike.

We have shipped 1000s of home delivery packages with FedEX. I can tell you that our experience with them is much better than other carriers. They are not perfect, but they get the job done at a good rate for our customers.

The USPS is lacking in many ways as far as tracking (specially for international shipments), lost / damage claims reimburesment take up to 90 days, and their customer service is not as good as the private sector. Also, the bad thing about the USPS, you have to either schedule pickup 24hrs in advance ( you have to do it everyday if you are a business and ship daily), or drive it to the post office. We ship daily with the USPS, so we have to take it to the post office and wait in line to process the international shipments. Pain in the butt and costly.

Yep. That hide and seek game sucks. Once, several years back, I can't remember if it was UPS or Fedex, but the delivery guy delivered my Lightwave 7.0 package (1500.00 software that I managed to get for 1000.00) www.newtek.com two doors down. I went to ask the people who they delivered it to about it and they said they didn't see anything. Finally, about 2 weeks later I got Newtek to ship me another copy of it for free, Thank God! A few months after this incident there was a standoff in the house that the original package was delivered to due to some sort of domestic dispute. At the time, I was living with my mom and dad, and mom said that on the day of the standoff she got ready to go to work and saw some bush moving in the yard, which freaked her out - then she realized it was some guy in camelflage and there was a bunch of other squat team members in various hidden locations around the place. She actually had to ask the squat guys to move a vehicle so that she could back her car out of the driveway and go to work. God, I'm glad that turned out ok with no casualties.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I know I will be ordering a larger dish soon and probably an actual reciever other than the starbox to play with. I will make contact before I order to get shipping the way I would prefer it.

Sadoun said:
Sadoun ships mainly FedEX or USPS to most areas in the USA. We also use UPS on occasions if the customer requests it. It is usually more expensive to ship by UPS vs FedEX. UPS also is very good at adding all these extra surcharges like OS1, OS2, etc (specially when shipping dishes).
USPS will deliver up to 80cm DISH without any problems. When it gets to the 90CM dish+ sizes, USPS will not take it.

Sadoun, even though FedEx doesn't a good track record in my area I still order equipment from your site because you help support one of my favorite websites, Satelliteguys.us.

BTW...I just ordered an M1 system with the 90CM upgrade from you for friend that is going to the 70730 zip code...give it some TLC if you can ;)

I tried to talk him into the QPH-031 but he wouldn't budge...

I can't wait to help him set it up and I'm sure his neighbor down the street will want one as soon as he sees it in action.

Thanks again, Sadoun!

someone else that doesn't like Fed EX, join the club. I hate 'em and just about have barred them from my property. If I can get Scientific Atlanta and Motorola to quit using them in shipping stuff to the house, I will be happy. :mad:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)