Any FTA on the Drifting Zombie Sat?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
Since Gal 15 has been adrift I understand they pulled most services off it. Now that it is in the face of AMC 11 I wonder if anything interesting has been seen from either of these sats? I'm still struggling with my arc tracking on a new Cband dish setup and have not been over to that side of the sky yet.

I'm not sure how this would work. Zombie Sat is "bent pipe" meaning that it takes what it receives and amplifies it and retransmits it back down to Earth. So in order for there to be anything on it, assuming it's not intercepting signals meant for another satellite (more on that later), then the up-linker would have to have their ground up-link satellite constantly moving to keep up with its zombie actions.

Now if its interfering with another satellite and retransmitting its signal, then for all intents and purposes it is that satellite it's stealing from. But since different satellites have different polarities and what not, it would probably just make interference.

So to directly answer your question, the interesting stuff from Zombie Sat is the news stories wrote about it and the engineering challenges they are trying to overcome.

Since Gal 15 has been adrift I understand they pulled most services off it. Now that it is in the face of AMC 11 I wonder if anything interesting has been seen from either of these sats?

no. everything from G15 has been moved to G12 at same orbital slot (133W)

Wow, setting the target really high...

A moving target... TRACK THAT!

:D

Aw come on! I've only been into fta for 3 months, still building my system. Tracking G-15 for fta on the move should be easy for you veterans. It's just that my ambitions for "whats up there" get ahead of my capabilities.

It's ahead of my abilities as well.

That's why I point at geostationary birds. ;)

As long as it's above the equator, you can look up current position and point at it, but providers want a fixed target.

Last edited:
That might be a challenge! Watch tv for a day and then have to move the dish slightly to find the bird again. Well guess I would get old pretty fast wouldn't it....Blind

The GPS WAAS L-Band correction signal is still being transmitted off of G15.
G12, G15's replacement does not have a L-Band payload.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)