any help with dish alignment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bill1234

Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
michigan
I am setting up a DirecTv slimline dish with an H24 box at my cabin. I am using the signal meter through the box and reading it on the tv. I was able to get 101 pretty easy with good signal 97% on transponder 18. Satillite SWM low signal strength 50s. None of the other satillites will come in. I have fooled with the elevation tilt and azmuth. I copied my neighbors tilt and elevation settings. He has the same slimline dish. I have a little blockage from a tree limb but I don't know if that is enough to totally block the signal from the other satillites. I am only getting some of the channels I am suppose to get. I would welcome any help.

those are the settings I am using. The mast is plumb. How fine of adjustments do you have to make. If I have those settings and I get one satillite come in real good should the other come in too?

Make sure the elevation setting is correct. Don't use the middle of the adjustment bolt. Look for the line on the washer behind the scale.

those are the settings I am using. The mast is plumb. How fine of adjustments do you have to make. If I have those settings and I get one satillite come in real good should the other come in too?

Your using a SWiM set up ....
You have 97 on the 101 and nothing on the 99 or 103 ?

Sounds like you need to dither the dish some, however, SHOULD have SOME signal on the other two .... Is your tilt set correct ?

On satellite 101 depending on the transponder the signal strength is anywhere from 63-97. On satellite 110 there is only transponder 8, 10 and 12 all have no signal. Satillite 119 has 11 transponders #22-32 all 0 signal. satillite 99 has 14 total transponders showing 25-44 signal strength I didn't see that before. satellite 99 (s) shows 16 total transponders all no signal. Satillite 103 has 16 transponders with no signal. satillite 103 ca 16 total transponders with no signal. satillite 103 cb 14 total transponders with no signal. satellite swm 9 transponders with signal 70-89.

On satellite 101 depending on the transponder the signal strength is anywhere from 63-97. On satellite 110 there is only transponder 8, 10 and 12 all have no signal. Satillite 119 has 11 transponders #22-32 all 0 signal. satillite 99 has 14 total transponders showing 25-44 signal strength I didn't see that before. satellite 99 (s) shows 16 total transponders all no signal. Satillite 103 has 16 transponders with no signal. satillite 103 ca 16 total transponders with no signal. satillite 103 cb 14 total transponders with no signal. satellite swm 9 transponders with signal 70-89.

A lot of 99s will not have numbers as that is a spot beam, only ones in your area will have numbers, so zero's there are not unusual.
There's not much on the 110 and 119 anymore, Spanish stuff on 119
The 99 and 103 c's should have signal on them. Once again, not all of them, but most.

I show 14 TP on 99c ( mine are in the mid 90's)
103c also has 14 TP same as the 99, 93 and up.

I don't get 110 and 119 anymore , but I don't think theres much there anymore, some music channels as well.

If the 101 is peaked, you can go from there. You should have a signal on the 99 and 103 while the 101 is peaked.
Make sure your settings are correct, not sure if B Band converters are needed on H24,s but make sure you have them if so.

The 110 should still have a signal if your also peaked on the 101, even though it isn't being used its still has a signal on TP 8,10,12 anywhere between 85-95 with a slimline 5.

Sounds to me like you may have a Line of sight issue.
Again Make sure you have the 101 PEAKED and let us know what you have on TP 1 and 2.

should be 95-98.
When you get that then a just accordingly using the adjustment screws to peak the 103c and 99c.
You can't just peak 1 you must average the 2 to get the best over all strength.

With the 101 Peaked its a piece of cake, as long as your Dish is Plumb and your dish setting and tilt are right on where they should be to start with.
Also remember the satellite signal comes in Higher then the LNB arm, so don't use that as a line of sight reference.
If there are trees above the LNB arm or even too close to the left or right of the dish, that could as well interfear.

Last edited:
You DO need the BBC's with a H/HR24. :)

Without them you won't have any signal on the 99 and 103, could that be his problem ?

You DO need the BBC's with a H/HR24. :)

Without them you won't have any signal on the 99 and 103, could that be his problem ?
I would have thought so, But he claims to have a low signal in the 40's on the 99.

He wouldn't have any signal at all on the 99 if B Band converters weren't in place. Sounds like he's not peaked on the 101, or he's got an obstruction.

A little more info on his signal strengths on the 101 would help, like 1-7 on the Tp.

SWM/non-SWM dishes and B-Band/no B-Band receivers makes this all really complicated now unless you do it everyday. When you run dish setup it seems to know what kind of dish it is connected to and states whether B-Bands are required or not. At least it works for me when I move HR20-100 between my non-SWM RV dish and my SWM home dish.

I spent half the day fooling with the dish. Now I have the locals in HD but not in SD. Sat 101 TP's 1-8 have 79-92 sig. strength. TP 4,12,20 all have 0.
Sat 110 no sig. , Sat 119 nothing 99c 69% SAt 99s nothing, Sat 103s nothing, SAt 103ca 69% Sat 103 cb at 63% Sat SWM at 95%

Does anyone know what satillite the main abc cbs nbc and fox come off of?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)