any hope for additional markets to be added?

goldengoose

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Live in Central Oregon- in addition to the 80,000 plus in the immediate town there are a number of surrounding communities with no SAT locals from Direct or Dish Net.

Cable here is in war with local FOX for retransmission. Seems like Dish is missing a big opportunity for a lot of customers.

In addition, I would think that some of these more rural areas would have a higher percentage of customers since cable may not be available to many of them.

Don't necessarily want the locals from here but would like to see any locals that we could get legally. I know how to "move". Just have lots of folks here that would go SAT if they had the opportunity

Do you mean HD locals or just SD locals? There will likely be quite a few western market HD locals added to the new 129 satellite when it is in place and operating. February would be the earliest to look for new local market additions.

You must be in Bend, Oregon. Never say never, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Basically there has to be some room created on the satellites' spot beams. Right at this moment there is no room at the inn for more local channels, especially HD

Thanks for the info- yes Bend area. Good thing that Portland spot reaches so much of Oregon. And that I have an "RV"

FYI Goose,

The RV thing doesn't work for Dish. Dish Network was slapped with a court injunction PERMANENTLY prohibiting them from EVER providing distant network signals (even from neighboring markets.

Unless Congress changes the law to make the court injunction moot, you have to "move" to Portland to get those channels.

See ya
Tony

sorry I should have be more clear-- I qualify for RV waiver and am able to use dish network equipment and obtain those network signals from All American Direct for Atlanta and SF

I have family in various areas of Oregon and keep an eye on it. Good things are coming.

Attachments

• Ciel Oregon.jpg
    Ciel Oregon.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 141
does anyone know how they decide which local dma's to put up,or is it all just random.

For SD locals now it depends on where there are free transponders and what spot beams they are on. If there is space on a transponder pointing at Texas, they will add Victoria. If there is available space on a transponder on the Montana spot beam, they will add Glendive. :)

The reason why so many NY and Ohio markets are unavailable in SD is because there simply is not enough room on the local spot beams. Dish abandoned the idea of having a dozen slots with locals scattered all over the sky because of resistance by subscribers to large dishes and due to technical problems so 121° and 105° were abandoned. Requiring a second dish was also rejected by many subscribers so 148° has slowly been phased out. Some locals remain there, but they will eventually be moved.

It also depends on contracts with local channels and station groups.

In some circumstances, Dish has added local markets strictly because there were contracts with station groups which accelerated plans for certain markets.

So, no. It's not random. They go by size of market, Dish's market penetration projected with and without locals, station contracts, and physical space on the satellite transponders. It may seem random, but it is not.

See ya
Tony

Here in Central Oregon Fox station ---On their web site posted this tip about getting their channel. They are in dispute with local cable company and have pulled their programming from the cable.

Not sure why we should contact congressman to get them added-seems like that is up to them and Dish Network. Since we do not get even SD locals having some available would be nice

With this dispute the sooner Dish can announce something the better- lots of customers available.
Normally, viewers would have many options other than one cable system controlling the market. At this time, the only option available to receive KFXO over the air, is by antenna, which are available at any electronics store. Depending on your location, you may be able to use an indoor antenna. However, in more remote areas, you may need an outdoor antenna. Satellite service currently offers cable programming, however, not local stations. We expect local channels to be added to satellite service sometime during 2009 and would recommend that if you would like to see local channels on satellite earlier, contact your local congressman.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)