Any ideas for antennas in the attic?

rookie36582

Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
Mobile,AL
I just purchased a LCD HDTV and want to catch ota hd content. I have several stations broadcasting digital streams within 24 to 38 miles of my house(Zip Code 36582) to the link that I've noticed in this forum. I found even more not listed at that site at titantv. Anyway, all of the towers are within the 64 to 84 degree compass heading(east/northeast of my location). The terrain is generally flat as I live about 15 miles North of the Gulf of Mexico.According to antennaweb.org I have one "red" station and the balance of the stations is 50% blue and 50% violet. Because we occasionally get hurricane force winds in the area( two major storms in the last few years) I have entertained the thought of putting the antenna in my attic although the pitch of the roof is not that steep.I suppose I would need some thing not so large w/ an amp. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note...... while surfing and looking at antennas on line I came upon one at www.goxium.com called xium air. They call it a spilateral antenna and it has a dish reflector.They act like it's the best thing since sliced bread was invented. Anyone ever heard of it or used one?

As a side note...... while surfing and looking at antennas on line I came upon one at www.goxium.com called xium air. They call it a spilateral antenna and it has a dish reflector.They act like it's the best thing since sliced bread was invented. Anyone ever heard of it or used one?

Of course they would say that !
No one else would believe that !!:D

You could try something like this:http://www.antennasdirect.com/DB4_HDTV_antenna.html

Last edited:
DB4 recommendation

Thanks for your replies, I was wary of the ad but I wanted some input from the pros. I see that the DB4 is recommended for high wind resistance, should I try an outdoor mast mount or do you think the high gain will work in the attic(my roof is asphalt shingles over plywood)?

Be wary of UHF only just in case, because if you are in the Mobile DMA, you have one affiliate that is VHF.

WALA-DT - 10.1 - FOX - 92° and 14.5miles (from 36601) - Chnl Assignment 9

Maybe something like these for VHF and UHF the attic:

Winegard HD 8200P
Channel Master CM 3671

Last edited:
rookie36582 said:
Thanks for your replies, I was wary of the ad but I wanted some input from the pros. I see that the DB4 is recommended for high wind resistance, should I try an outdoor mast mount or do you think the high gain will work in the attic(my roof is asphalt shingles over plywood)?

I live in Tampa my antenna has been up for several years, like back when cable was just a baby.

Suggest the cm4228 over the other suggestions

cm4228 is cheaper, and works better the the db8, and will receive ch 9-13 which the db8 will not... $40 vs $92

db4, cm4221 is not enough antenna and will not receive ch9

cm4228 will work with ch 9...I have a ch 9 here and it receives it fine with the towers 19miles away.

out door is suggested...you can always temporarily take it down if you get a bad storm. you may need a rotor. you can try aiming down the middle. suggest a hdp269 winegard preamp for a boost. The ap8700 and cm7777 will give you too much gain and overload because of yellow, green and lt green rating of the digitals.

If you want analog vhf on analog sets around the home suggest the winegard hd7084 with a hdp269 amp. but its 134" long. If you want the stations 55 miles away you can try the HD7084p but the HD8200P will work better but that is even bigger (use one at my home see my avatar) may be better and will definately need a rotor.

I just installed an hd7082 see picture and its about 2 feet shorter than the hd7084p. I have had the best results with the winegards and have tried them all.

to make a long story short...for digital only cm4228 with hdp269 amp mounted outside aimed down the middle for stations at 63-81 degrees...if not satisfied add a rotor to fine tune further.

Attachments

• P1010040.JPG
    P1010040.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Agree with Rick,have both the CH4228 and the DB8.Trying them in the same and various location the CH4228 pulls in a much stronger signal/stable than the DB8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts