Any info on SAMI 8ft Mesh Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
I recovered this 8ft mesh today and was glad to see it was Made in the USA by SAMI. Does anyone here currently use one for C-Band? I am hoping it is a solid performer. This dish seems to be in good condition, considering how long it has been out of service. It has an old EchoStar LNBF.

Attachments

• dish sami 8ft.jpg
    dish sami 8ft.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 334
Reactions: EmCommSat
Had one of those a few years back and it was, well, AN EIGHT FOOTER! Meaning that it's just not big enough and I replaced it with a Unimesh 10 footer. Sold that SAMI to a guy in Charlottesville, Va for cheap that included a receiver and never heard anything from him again??

But, when you're just starting out I guess any dish is better than no dish! Just keep your eyes open for at least a 10 footer to replace that one.

I'm using one in mid-Michigan, and I get nearly everything out there on C-band. In my case, at least 95%+ of what's possible. There's only a few signals I can't keep locked, but most of those are scrambled signals and unusable anyway.

I really recommend a 10 footer if your lot can accommodate one and there's one available to you, however if all you have is that 8 footer, it's worth putting up to try it. I recommend that you put a pole up tall enough and strong enough to eventually switch to a 10 footer though. That way you are covered in case you eventually decide to go larger.

P.s. It's NOT all that good at getting KU signals, with a dual C/Ku lnbf however.

I recovered this 8ft mesh today and was glad to see it was Made in the USA by SAMI. Does anyone here currently use one for C-Band? I am hoping it is a solid performer. This dish seems to be in good condition, considering how long it has been out of service. It has an old EchoStar LNBF.

LNBF?

That blue box is a skew motor (for changing polarity), you have an LNB.

Also, look at all that extra wiring by the feedhorn, an LNBF does not need that. Why is it there?

I have a semi 7.5' and a semi 10'. Both are excellent. The little 7.5 pulls in most of the c band up there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: primestar31
I'm using one in mid-Michigan, and I get nearly everything out there on C-band. In my case, at least 95%+ of what's possible. There's only a few signals I can't keep locked, but most of those are scrambled signals and unusable anyway.

I really recommend a 10 footer if your lot can accommodate one and there's one available to you, however if all you have is that 8 footer, it's worth putting up to try it. I recommend that you put a pole up tall enough and strong enough to eventually switch to a 10 footer though. That way you are covered in case you eventually decide to go larger.

P.s. It's NOT all that good at getting KU signals, with a dual C/Ku lnbf however.
I'll get a long enough pipe to allow for a 10ft. This is just what I have found so far, except for an old friend who has a black mesh dish up in her back yard. She said it is either 8 or 10ft, so maybe I'll get a 10ft for free...

Either way, my Primestar 75 has Ku covered fairly well. I'll just go straight C-Band on the SAMI.

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)