Any information about YES Network?

Its very possible folks that if Att buys Dish that us baseball fans will benefit.

If and when AT&T picks up DISH, they aren't going to immediately start snatching up channels to make previously unimportant minorities within the customer base happy. Same principle as with LOGO. Sooner or later, possibly. But it'll be a minimum for four to six months before they'll even consider an acquistion after a multi-billion dollar purchase. They'd have to learn the business first. Truth be told, four to six months as an estimate isn't even conservative, it's charity.

D* has an exclusive contract locked up with the NFL through either the 2009 or 2010 season. No chance for E* to get in on NFL:ST until that expires.
I didn't think I had to get that deeply into it. Thanks for telling the board what is most certainly common knowledge.
BTW, the contract is exclusive beginning next season and expires in 2010.

Currently, DirecTV has an exclusive deal with the NFL, making them the sole provider of NFL Sunday Ticket in the United States until the contract expires in 2010, though past history suggests DirecTV will renew the contract by then in order to maintain one of its key marketing pitches to potential subscribers. [1] Prior to the NFL's latest television deal, other satellite and cable providers were allowed to bid on the rights to carry NFL Sunday Ticket if they agreed to carry the NFL Network. However, DirecTV still won exclusivity for the package, bidding over $700 million a year to do so.

So what?..The point I was trying to make berfore you "OOH OOH I know I know" in class was this.....the fact that Dish was unwilling or unable to match the bid for the service. An E* partership with the telco giant AT&T would give E* unprecedented bidding power.

It might give E* deeper pockets, but that doesn't mean making a huge bid makes any business sense for E*, given their segment of the market. D*'s current bid was viewed by almost everyone as being too high and rumors persist that they are losing money on it - although one would need to evaluate the entire strategy to know one way or the other.

It will be interesting to watch what AT&T might do with a DBS company. But so far they haven't been all that aggressive with their channel offerings via U-verse. They are offering more HD channels than most cable providers, but trail both D* and E* on that front.

As to NFL:ST being exclusive to D* beginning in 2008, it has been exclusive since 2006, when their current contract went into effect.

It might give E* deeper pockets, but that doesn't mean making a huge bid makes any business sense for E*, given their segment of the market. D*'s current bid was viewed by almost everyone as being too high and rumors persist that they are losing money on it - although one would need to evaluate the entire strategy to know one way or the other.

It will be interesting to watch what AT&T might do with a DBS company. But so far they haven't been all that aggressive with their channel offerings via U-verse. They are offering more HD channels than most cable providers, but trail both D* and E* on that front.

As to NFL:ST being exclusive to D* beginning in 2008, it has been exclusive since 2006, when their current contract went into effect.

Yep. $10 billion sounds a bit steep to me.

I certainly hope DISH can get NFL:ST whenever it expires. And while I am making my wish list, I really wish DISH could get NCAA March Madness away from D*. I'm not sure what year that deal goes through.

I wonder if we'll ever see Rogers added as a network on DISH? I'm not sure if it would fit under the International package or maybe the Multi-Sport but I think it would be a welcomed addition in some circles.

won't happen. Rogers Sportsnet is a Canadian Sports channel...basically the equivalent of Fox Sports Net...they carry MLB on there (and not just the Jays) and alot of the "filler" stuff on FSN (best dumb sports show, the FB pregame shows, ultimate fighting, etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)