Any LNBF rec. for 180 cm/6 ft . Prime focus dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfecarter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Connecticut
Am seriously considering trying my luck in c-band, have had KU dishes for a few years.
Am looking at Galaxy's 6 ft prime focus dish.
If I go with a c/ku band combo LNBF am I compromising on signal strength/quality? as opposed to a cband only LNBF. Am mainly interested in a fixed c-band dish. currently have a 36" ku dish aimed at 97w for retro which I can get on 99w c-band right?
thanks

If you can't go any bigger than 6', it is better than nothing.
With it not being 2° compliant, and not designed for Ku, you will be wishing you never bought a C/Ku combo.
I would stick with your 36" dish for Ku and go C-Band only, with a Titanium C1-PLL.
If I go with a c/ku band combo LNBF am I compromising on signal strength/quality?
Yes, you will never get them both to be right on what you do get, one will be good and lose the other and vise-versa.

Yep the lights are on, but no one is home there now for over 2 years.
Sorry I assumed you had found one new old stock. There was a guy that had bought a bunch from him that was still selling them on eBay for awhile, but don't see them now.
As far as anyone else, none in hobby price range I know of in NA.
That place in Canada has the 8 footers, never had one though and have heard the quality is hit and miss.

He is, but last I knew he didn't have anymore either. Wouldn't hurt to give him a ring to be sure.

I have one of the 8 footers from the great white north and have been happy with it. They have supposedly beefed up their mount since I bought mine (about 1.5 yrs ago). It does a decent job, doesn't get everything, but that is the size not the build. I would agree that if you have the time and ability to find one that is not being used, you will be dollars ahead and probably have a better quality dish when all is said and done.

I would buy another dish from the folks up north. So, it is your call. You will be far happier with an 8 or 10 footer over a 6 footer. They also offer a 7 foot dish if size is a big issue.

you should ride around or get on Craigslist to find a free one first
Definitely.
I've removed a free 7.5-foot that needed refurbishing, spent a little time correcting deficiencies and it worked very well. Also 'purchased' a 10-foot off a building from the county for $50.00 that went into immediate service (apart from greasing and an LNBF swap).

It seems that as I started looking and actively keeping my eyes open, C-band dishes would pop up all over. As far as the station you (OP) described, it is on C-band (different satellite, though) plus many others.

There's a bunch of good stuff on 99W C band, but I don't think RetroTV is there, it is on 87 W. Unless you just mean 'retro' as in old, not the actual channel. In that sense, it's definitely on 99 W. :biggrin

I would do as others suggested and go with C only, not a C/Ku combo, especially if you end up with a smaller dish.

I come across C band dishes once in a while and pass them up because I already have two, If used is something you'd be interested in, I'll keep a eye out for any. I'm in Northeast Ct, so at most, a few hours away from you.

i had a driven over by truck 6' c band dish that still worked; and re-hab them after finding them shot; broken (bought them for a hundred in the olde days and still one to ten each year moved into directly installed; pelleted bird searcher deluxe 1.2 list hobby rated only since 1981, when the item is used; rehab; rehab; rehab; add;add;add; as the art is laid pointing straight up; and the lnbfs are arrayed makescaaaaaaalllllllllooooooootttttttt of channels; ALL OF THE BIG DISHES ACTUALLY AMP THE SIGNAL WAY OVER THE TOP!

NO NONE OF THE LNBFS that WORK; have any problems receiving USA channels; look at just one vhannel at any time;

I have a 6 foot dish in Florida and can get from 12W to 133W.

I used a dual C/ku lnb with Teflon insert for circular polarized sats. All ku sats including the Caribbean footprints come in almost 100%. The newer receivers have better gain/stability. Currently using Amiko A3 for Mpeg2/4, DVB-S2, 8psk.

C band reception is good except for some of the Intelsat that require an 8 footer. I receive everything on the American arc.

I originally used a Chaparral Coroter II Plus, but switched to 741U C/Ku lnb. This setup required just a coaxial for signal and the motor. The ku lnb side was universal 10.7-12.2 Ghz. On the C band side I could use the Teflon insert to get circular and linear sats.

I have a Fortec 6 footer, it was my first bud. It quickly got replaced by a 10 footer.
The 6 footer is now a fixed dish for PBS on 125W using a Corortor for Ku prime focus.
As a bud not so good, but better than nothing. For Ku on 125W its super.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)