Any LNBF rec. for 180 cm/6 ft . Prime focus dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfecarter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Connecticut
Am seriously considering trying my luck in c-band, have had KU dishes for a few years.
Am looking at Galaxy's 6 ft prime focus dish.
If I go with a c/ku band combo LNBF am I compromising on signal strength/quality? as opposed to a cband only LNBF. Am mainly interested in a fixed c-band dish. currently have a 36" ku dish aimed at 97w for retro which I can get on 99w c-band right?
thanks

If you can't go any bigger than 6', it is better than nothing.
With it not being 2° compliant, and not designed for Ku, you will be wishing you never bought a C/Ku combo.
I would stick with your 36" dish for Ku and go C-Band only, with a Titanium C1-PLL.
If I go with a c/ku band combo LNBF am I compromising on signal strength/quality?
Yes, you will never get them both to be right on what you do get, one will be good and lose the other and vise-versa.

Yep the lights are on, but no one is home there now for over 2 years.
Sorry I assumed you had found one new old stock. There was a guy that had bought a bunch from him that was still selling them on eBay for awhile, but don't see them now.
As far as anyone else, none in hobby price range I know of in NA.
That place in Canada has the 8 footers, never had one though and have heard the quality is hit and miss.

He is, but last I knew he didn't have anymore either. Wouldn't hurt to give him a ring to be sure.

I have one of the 8 footers from the great white north and have been happy with it. They have supposedly beefed up their mount since I bought mine (about 1.5 yrs ago). It does a decent job, doesn't get everything, but that is the size not the build. I would agree that if you have the time and ability to find one that is not being used, you will be dollars ahead and probably have a better quality dish when all is said and done.

I would buy another dish from the folks up north. So, it is your call. You will be far happier with an 8 or 10 footer over a 6 footer. They also offer a 7 foot dish if size is a big issue.

you should ride around or get on Craigslist to find a free one first
Definitely.
I've removed a free 7.5-foot that needed refurbishing, spent a little time correcting deficiencies and it worked very well. Also 'purchased' a 10-foot off a building from the county for $50.00 that went into immediate service (apart from greasing and an LNBF swap).

It seems that as I started looking and actively keeping my eyes open, C-band dishes would pop up all over. As far as the station you (OP) described, it is on C-band (different satellite, though) plus many others.

There's a bunch of good stuff on 99W C band, but I don't think RetroTV is there, it is on 87 W. Unless you just mean 'retro' as in old, not the actual channel. In that sense, it's definitely on 99 W. :biggrin

I would do as others suggested and go with C only, not a C/Ku combo, especially if you end up with a smaller dish.

I come across C band dishes once in a while and pass them up because I already have two, If used is something you'd be interested in, I'll keep a eye out for any. I'm in Northeast Ct, so at most, a few hours away from you.

i had a driven over by truck 6' c band dish that still worked; and re-hab them after finding them shot; broken (bought them for a hundred in the olde days and still one to ten each year moved into directly installed; pelleted bird searcher deluxe 1.2 list hobby rated only since 1981, when the item is used; rehab; rehab; rehab; add;add;add; as the art is laid pointing straight up; and the lnbfs are arrayed makescaaaaaaalllllllllooooooootttttttt of channels; ALL OF THE BIG DISHES ACTUALLY AMP THE SIGNAL WAY OVER THE TOP!

NO NONE OF THE LNBFS that WORK; have any problems receiving USA channels; look at just one vhannel at any time;

I have a 6 foot dish in Florida and can get from 12W to 133W.

I used a dual C/ku lnb with Teflon insert for circular polarized sats. All ku sats including the Caribbean footprints come in almost 100%. The newer receivers have better gain/stability. Currently using Amiko A3 for Mpeg2/4, DVB-S2, 8psk.

C band reception is good except for some of the Intelsat that require an 8 footer. I receive everything on the American arc.

I originally used a Chaparral Coroter II Plus, but switched to 741U C/Ku lnb. This setup required just a coaxial for signal and the motor. The ku lnb side was universal 10.7-12.2 Ghz. On the C band side I could use the Teflon insert to get circular and linear sats.

I have a Fortec 6 footer, it was my first bud. It quickly got replaced by a 10 footer.
The 6 footer is now a fixed dish for PBS on 125W using a Corortor for Ku prime focus.
As a bud not so good, but better than nothing. For Ku on 125W its super.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)