any luck with HD locals using Indoor Antenna

kcromeis

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 11, 2005
I live in an apt so attaching an OTA is impossible for me. Has anyone had any luck with any of the 1000 indoor antennas?

thanks.

thanks for the help..ill have to try it. basically getting locals in HD is my deciding factor in which provider i go with. If i can get them for this way Ill go with DishNet. I live in Downtown Houston and would be using a HD receiver...so im not sure if that has any negative effects on whether i can receive said channels.

sprintcarcrazy said:
I have 3 of the Zenith Silver Sensor antennas, two inside, one in attic, attached to 811's and 921. I am 25 to 40 miles and can pick up ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX. You may have to move it around, they are great antennas, but look like a toy. About $20 online

http://vss-electronics.com/zhdtv1.html

Another vote here for the Silver Sensor...it picks up all the major networks from Charlotte (30-40 or so miles away) on my 811. :yes

antenna web says i need a Red (medium sized), ive heard sometimes this is wrong, but will the SS work?

My Siver Sensor picked up all of my local digital broadcasts (18 stations), some of which were 40 miles away, some in opposite directions (never had to repoint it), one VHF, five that Antennaweb said I needed a Red antenna for, and all with the 811 which is a pretty flaky OTA receiver in general, depending on software release.

It was mounted on the loft ceiling of my condo, which put it at the equivalent of four stories up. So, that may account for some of its amazing performance. But, I had an expensive, amplified Terk TV55 in the same place, and it wasn't as good.

GaryPen said:
My Siver Sensor picked up all of my local digital broadcasts (18 stations), some of which were 40 miles away, some in opposite directions (never had to repoint it), one VHF, five that Antennaweb said I needed a Red antenna for, and all with the 811 which is a pretty flaky OTA receiver in general, depending on software release.

It was mounted on the loft ceiling of my condo, which put it at the equivalent of four stories up. So, that may account for some of its amazing performance. But, I had an expensive, amplified Terk TV55 in the same place, and it wasn't as good.

Im 3rd floor of a 3story Apt complex so hopefully the silver sensor works. Im no more than 20miles from any tv station in houston

does DishNet have any plans for locals in HD? i know direct tv just launched there new satellites and Houston will be one of the markets to get HD thru the feeds on locals.

thanks..ill definitely give it a shot...im actually only 14miles from all major networks.

Damn good question KC. I'm in a similar boat and have a 921 but no OTA HD Lovin'. Thanks for everyone who posted about the SS. At that price, who can go wrong? I'lll pick one up to see what OTA channels I can pickup here in the ATL.
beerchug.gif

this really influences my carrier decision. I dont care about the sports packages from D..especially if i have to pay all that money for equipt. If this brings me my locals im super content.

kcromeis said:
this really influences my carrier decision. I dont care about the sports packages from D..especially if i have to pay all that money for equipt. If this brings me my locals im super content.

LOL, don't go to the dark side d00d!! ;)

ocaddict said:
LOL, don't go to the dark side d00d!! ;)

yeah...but with definite Houston local HD channels coming from the darkside this year its a big plus. I have a toshiba 52" dlp, and getting 4 HD programs for $10 sucks..especially w/o locals. But, if this antenna works Id definitely go DishNetwork... i just wish we knew when they were taking the plunge to broadcast locals in HD.

kcromeis said:
thanks for the help..ill have to try it. basically getting locals in HD is my deciding factor in which provider i go with. If i can get them for this way Ill go with DishNet. I live in Downtown Houston and would be using a HD receiver...so im not sure if that has any negative effects on whether i can receive said channels.

I'm in Houston, in the shadow of the Huntingdon (San Felipe and Kirby). I get all the local HD's with an RCA ANT1250 from Best Buy. Seems like it was $45. With Voom's Winegard on the roof, I almost never got Paramount 20 and seldom Fox 26. But with the little amplified rabbit ears that could, I get all of them at high signal strength with no adjustment needed for different channels. To accomplish that, I added an extension coax and put the antenna on top of the curtain rods above my northern windows. Haven't touched it since Voom went off the air. PBSHD with this antenna is what convinced me to try Voom in the first place, which led to addiction, which led to the 942 that arrived today. On Saturday, with a little luck, the Waiting for Godot will finally be over.
:clap :clap :clap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)