Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Any Mediacom customers? Please post here!

How about former Mediacom customers?

I was on Mediacom for years, until they told me they had absolutely *no idea* when they might, if ever, get cable modem or digital cable service in my area (I was still on dialup at the time). So I went to Sears and bought a couple of DishPlayers and canceled Mediacom. I forget how long ago this was but it was when the 7200 was available for sale at Sears before any of the DishPro gear was introduced.

Less than one month later, Mediacom announced their new Digital Cable and Internet services. So I took advantage of the free install offer and got a cable modem. Service was fast but unreliable, would just drop out for no apparent reason for hours at a time. I put up with this for a couple of years until DSL became available in my area, then I dropped everything but the local channels. I still got all the analog channels, but got billed for only "lifeline service". Go figure, I guess they are too lazy/inept to put a filter on the line. Didn't matter really, the picture quality was so bad I would not watch them anyway since they were all available on Dish.

Hurricane Ivan was the last straw for me. During the week that all the cable customers had no signal I was watching everything but locals on Dish (rabbit ears were ok but not great for locals) so I called and ordered the locals & superdish. After waiting an appropriate amount of time for Wife Acceptance Factor of the superdish signal quality, I called Mediacom for hopefully the last time and canceled the rest of it.

My impression over these years is that Mediacom's left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, their customer support is clueless, and at least in my area their signal is still crap. Good riddance to them. I see E* and D* antennae all over the place where there used to be hardly any.

Mediacom serves my area and a couple of weeks ago I got some crap in the mail from them so I looked through it, well nothing new, no DVR, no High Def. package and I'm sure the same old crappy picture I had before. It's hard to justify paying them for service when I spent 4000 dollars on a tv and the picture sucks, even though I was getting basic for free ;)

skidog said:
Mediacom serves my area and a couple of weeks ago I got some crap in the mail from them so I looked through it, well nothing new, no DVR, no High Def. package and I'm sure the same old crappy picture I had before. It's hard to justify paying them for service when I spent 4000 dollars on a tv and the picture sucks, even though I was getting basic for free ;)

Skidog, I'm in LeSueur, Minnesota (pop 4300) and their Mediacom stuff isn't too bad. Dual-tuner HD-DVR with about 10 HD channels. The digital channels look great. The lower-tier analog channels go from so-so to puke. We bundled it with their internet and got a deal with starz/starz-on-demand for 60 bucks/month. Adding the HD and DVR fees run the whole thing up to 85/month. Of course, that'll go up another 20/month after a year. It's still cheaper than what I was paying (55 to Voom and 65 for wireless broadband), and the internet has been stable and fast, averageing ~2.5 mbps download speed.

If you can't get this from them yet, call and bitch. If enough folks do it, they may speed up their efforts to upgrade their stuff.

I am in Springfield, MO and have the same deal as you do in MN apparently. I have a dual tuner DVR with about 10 HD channels and 3Mb down/256k up internet service for about what I was paying for VaVaVoom. (That is if you get every channel cable has to offer) The big similarity that cable shared with Voom, however, is the one that brought me to Mediacom: NO UP FRONT COSTS AND NO CONTRACT! I'm sold. The PQ is good to great on digital channels and tolerable to horrible on the regular cable stations. Luckily, I don't watch those much. But I think it is far and away a better choice right now then the 2 satellite providers that would charge at LEAST $800 up front for the same setup, have the same number of HD channels, make me sign a contract, not include high speed internet, and charge me more per month to do so. I thought cable was dead. Then I did my research and they were CLEAR winners. I would still rather have Voom, but since that is not an option, I will go with the second best option.

OTA locals, STB & DVR

Does anyone know if I got a STB for my locals could I plug that into the 6412 DVR so I could record them?

Mediacom Forum

Welcome to all Mediacom customers! We have created a new forum just for you!

Enjoy!

Thank Ilya
I just got a call from mediacom call on my answering machine today that HD will be available in my Illinois town in May. Next is to see what kindof deal they will give me. Ni internet. If they make it sweet I will dump dish in a flash. I only reactivated my dish because Voom is dying. I can't believe how bad the pic quality is on dish.

I just switched to Mediacom in Mason City, IA. I got there 6412 and the HD. I am pretty happy with it. I get dual tuners, some HD (nothing like Voom), and Video on Demand. The VDO is pretty cool. Lot's of things to pick from. They don't have local hd on the cable and I found the 6412 will not accept any input from anything other than the cable, so I just bought a Samsung 451 to get my locals ( just 2, CBS and NBC).

I just saw the Voom message stating they are on Dish now. I think I'll stay with cable for now as I like the DVR. I would not like to pay $1000 for one at this point. Maybe it is less, I don't know. They Mediacom cost me nothing up front and I get $ 25 off per month for 16 months coming from a satellite provider. That helps.

Tom

Mediacom sucks

I have mediacom here in Sugar Grove Illinois for internet only, they are not good for anything else, digital pq sucks, no hd, no dvr, they tell me with dish you have to pay extra for my locals, I pay $0.00 for locals, get them ota,and but yet their basic digital is more than what I pay for dish 120 pack and east and west feeds

We call it Mediacrap down here in the Fl. Panhandle thats the only thing offered here for TV and Cable Internet the TV is so bad that allot of the stations you can't even see, I've been bitching at them for 4 years and they have no idea when they are going to replace the inground cable to our little piece of paradise, I tryed the Digital Cable a couple years ago and it was just as bad, We have to pay 17 bucks for the local channels plus 13% Florida TV Tax, I can't get a few of them by antenna so I have to subscribe to the locals, and its another 45 bucks for internet with a 256 up speed everything the have is bad, But I still like the beach....Makes me look a little better laying in the sun....Don't y'all Think?

Thank The Skies for DirecTV :rolleyes:

lolerskates, im in the Florida panhandle too...Pensacola Beach. We do unfortunately have mediacon over here. I have a lot of things to say about them...but im sure its been said before and I could ramble on for days. I'm on the edge of switching to direct TV, but im not going to do it until we move back in to the house (hurricane damage).

Dish Network a Cooking Channel ha ha I like that... your pretty close though, It has about 25 religious channels and 25 sales channels and the worst PQ of them all not to mention the worst customer care of any company I've did business with.. sorry to hear about the damage I'm on the other side of PC we were spared......

Wait a second...looking back on my post I said I was on the edge of switching to direct TV, well no actually I was pondering Dish network (I get confused sometimes). But that may change, I may evaluate it and see who i'm going with.

But, for now i'm with mediacom, i'm kind of stuck here, they just upgraded the speeds on HSI to 5mb down (and the same old slow 256up) with the option to upgrade ($10 more, I think) to 10mb down and 1meg up! Bellsouth (the only DSL service around) only offers up to 3megs down and its much much more expensive than cable. So again, i'm stuck! I may switch just for the sake of reliability. (or maybe i'll get directway and set up a nuclear power plant in the back yard and not be connected to anything!)

I Noticed my d/l speeds went from 2700 kbt/s to 3700 kbt/s but the up speed is still 254 kbt/s i sent them a email this morning and they said they have no plans on upgrading the Up speed.
But I did get my waiver granted for CBS national so when I get Fox waiver I can drop there Cable TV......yahoooooo
I knew D* would be better than E* I tried the locals thru them they were worse than cable...

I've had Mediacom now for 2 1/2 months, long story why, it's all buried somewhere on the E* message board. I've been pleased with the 6412, having DVR has changed the way I watch TV ;). Picture quality on family cable is okay to decent, and let's just say that on the main flat screen TV, I cann't tell the difference in PQ between Mediacom Digital (channel 201 & higher) & E*.

Wished Mediacom would offer more digital channels (Boomerang, NFL Network, the major pro sports PPV packages, etc.), but overall, cann't complain as since Mediacom came into Iowa, they've invested billions of dollars to upgrade the cable system state wide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts