Any new HD channels on Dish soon?

seandudley

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Loudon, Tennessee
Hey guys,

Is anyone aware if Dish will be adding any new HD channels anytime soon? I would like to be able to get Starz-HD, Cinemax-HD, Universal-HD, Playboy Hot HD, the remaining Voom channels, etc. I know that the FCC approved the sale of the Voom satellite to Echostar now, so Dish should have the capacity now. Anyone know if Dish will be providing some or all of these channels any time soon?

Thanks.

Sean Dudley

riffjim4069 said:
Other than VOOM HD channels, I don't think E* will do much of anything until D* launched more national HD channels.

This just blows my mind! $200M worth of first-class satellite and all that's up there is 10 VOOM channels? I would be very surprised if DISH shareholders would stand for much of this!

---Doug

datwell said:
This just blows my mind! $200M worth of first-class satellite and all that's up there is 10 VOOM channels? I would be very surprised if DISH shareholders would stand for much of this!

---Doug
Echostar's profits were up last quarter so I don't think there will an outcry for Charlie's head. Additional HD channels would be very well received by HD subs, but the gains would be so small it wouldn't affect their bottom line. With the upcoming rollout of MPEG-4 receivers (211, 411, 962) I am expecting E* to rollout national HD channels (and perhaps even the remaining VOOM HD channels) in MPEG-4 and make these available only to new customers or existing customers who have upgraded receivers.

datwell said:

---Doug
E* shareholders don't have much of a say in anything. Charlie controls most of the voting stock. As long as E* isn't losing money hand over fist, the E* board won't step in.

Well I think with MPEG 4 they better swap out the box free of charge because I know they won't get any money from me. I already get the 10 VOOM channels and if the rest will be in MPEG 4 I truly believe I and many others should get the free swap out. I don't know why these companies think everyone is made of money

Regardless of shareholder input et al, I agree it seems a tremendous waste of capacity/potential at the moment. I hope they don't miss an opportunity to be a true leader in the field...kind of pathetic if their only modus operandi is to "see what directv does next".

In short, I bet E* will find themselves with many unhappy top-tier customers if they don't have SIGNIFICANT announcements come first of the year...

I still really never got a good answer to this. What in the world is Dish Network doing with the Rainbow 1 satellite ? They got it several weeks ago, and have done nothing with it ? Does anyone know what their plans for it are ?

From E*'s 10-Q filing to the SEC on 11/10/2005:

"On October 12, 2005, the FCC approved our purchase for $200.0 million of certain satellite assets from Rainbow DBS Co., a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation. We have agreed to purchase Rainbow 1, a direct broadcast satellite located at 61.5 degrees west longitude, together with rights to 11 DBS frequencies at that location. The satellite includes 13 transponders, up to 12 of which can be operated in “spot beam” mode. Also, as part of this transaction, which is expected to close during the fourth quarter 2005, we will acquire ground facilities and related assets in Black Hawk, S.D."

Since the sale isn't finalized yet, it may be that only the old Cablevision Rainbow1 content can be transmitted from 61.5 at this time.

riffjim4069 said:
Other than VOOM HD channels, I don't think E* will do much of anything until D* launched more national HD channels.

Personally I'd but much more excited by the rest of the national network channels in HD than another movie channel. I really enjoy CBS HD and hope that the other networks will become available soon!

FreddyvsJasonvsAsh said:
Well I think with MPEG 4 they better swap out the box free of charge because I know they won't get any money from me. I already get the 10 VOOM channels and if the rest will be in MPEG 4 I truly believe I and many others should get the free swap out. I don't know why these companies think everyone is made of money
Unfortunately, as long as E* continues earning a profit I wouldn't expect any freebies unless they are going to recover their costs (i.e. you pay part of the upgrade costs, $49-$99, and commit to 18-24 months of programming). Like E* mentioned in its Quarterly Report, it will be a "measured response" that will most likely depend on what other providers are offering (D*, SBC, Verizon, etc.). They will make you pay as much of the upgrade and incur the longest commitment possible without driving away too many customers.

shanewalker said:
Regardless of shareholder input et al, I agree it seems a tremendous waste of capacity/potential at the moment. I hope they don't miss an opportunity to be a true leader in the field...kind of pathetic if their only modus operandi is to "see what directv does next".
Dish Network never claimed to be the technology leader. What they do well is offer subscribers the most bang for their buck and, unlike D*, consistently earn a profit for shareholders. The only way I see E* providing massive free receiver upgrades were if Verizon FioS and SBC to start kicking ass. But I don't see the telcos being a huge threat for at least another 2-3 years (too many legislative and build-out issues pending). By that time many of the receivers will have been replaced through new installs, high-end customer upgrades, churn, and end of normal receiver life.

Well i tell you what, i lease the 811 from Dish and when Mpeg4 revceivers come out and they try and make me pay just to lease another box then im jumping to Direct in a heart beat.

I just hope Dish's prices dont go threw the roof when all the mpeg 4 kicks in.

Dish is starting to fall behind in the HD department. Yes, they have Voom channels but the programming is pretty "stale" Same old movies over and over again.

dont24 said:
Dish is starting to fall behind in the HD department. Yes, they have Voom channels but the programming is pretty "stale" Same old movies over and over again.
Fall behind who? They aren't behind Directv.....their HD offering is really the worst there is. You have a point about the programming being stale on the VOOM ch's...but it's still worth the 5 bucks per mth in my eyes.

dfergie said:
I have both... E* is far ahead of D* right now...HD wise....

Which is why we're in this "holding" pattern. As long as earnings are up and churn is down, there's no real need for "E" to do much right now. In fact it would be a waste.

Their last "burst" was in reaction to "D"s big propoganda campaign about HD LiLs which we now know was way over exagerated. Look for the next big move by "E" to come when (or maybe just before) "D" is actually going to do something.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for "E" but "D" has been playing the 'ol smoke and mirrors game the past 2 or 3 years and I think Charlie has finally wised up.

Well like to see ESPN2HD maybe FOXHD and MTV is going to be launching their HD channel sometime soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts