Any new info about Dish Broadband?

Dish Network would probably want to get a lot of customers from DirectWay, StarBand, and WildBlue along with new subscribers and they would have to do that with better service and/or cheaper pricing.

There's no doubt that satellite broadband can not compete with other ways of getting broadband. I do think that we are in the early stages of satellite broadband and are only seeing a glimpse of what its capable of. Theres no getting around the latency issues but i think the speeds and the costs will greatly improve over the next couple of years. Before long everybody will have broadband, and how many of them will live in rural areas that are not being served by cable, dsl, or wifi? Thats where dish needs to do something to "stand out" above the rest and put there selfs out on a limb and see what happens. Sure its taking a big chance, but isn't that what they did when the got into the satellite tv business years ago and look what it got them.

BrettTRay said:
There's no doubt that satellite broadband can not compete with other ways of getting broadband. I do think that we are in the early stages of satellite broadband and are only seeing a glimpse of what its capable of. Theres no getting around the latency issues but i think the speeds and the costs will greatly improve over the next couple of years. Before long everybody will have broadband, and how many of them will live in rural areas that are not being served by cable, dsl, or wifi? Thats where dish needs to do something to "stand out" above the rest and put there selfs out on a limb and see what happens. Sure its taking a big chance, but isn't that what they did when the got into the satellite tv business years ago and look what it got them.
I disagree. Satellite broadband is fairly mature. You're not going to see much improvement - especially in price/performance.

OTOH, I'm pretty rural, and there's FOUR WISPs in the county. Our biggest issue is line of sight, and a chainsaw solves some of those issues. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)