Any new news regarding FBN being added to the DISH lineup?

rfischer4073

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Merritt Island, FL
Hi everyone,
Was curious if anyone out there has heard anything new about Fox Business Channel being added to the Dish Network lineup, if at all?

I know there were several threads about this in the middle of last month, but wanting the politics to stay out of responses to my question, I started a new thread.

Thanks for your input,

Rick

Admittedly, the Naked Cowboy segment was extremely cheezy. But I have watched Fox Business almost everyday since it's launch and have yet to see anything as cheezy. That was on day 1 or 2 when they aired that segment. The channel has actually turned out to be better than I'd expected at launch. Good stuff.

Kinda figures. I saw it the day it launched for about two hours on Bright House cable, before I disconnected the service having had DISH installed the same day.

The irony ...

Thanks,
Rick

Kinda figures. I saw it the day it launched for about two hours on Bright House cable, before I disconnected the service having had DISH installed the same day.

The irony ...

Thanks,
Rick

A little off the subject of this post but did you know Bright House (Tampa Bay) is adding like eight HD channels in December? Not sure which market you are in, but Orlando is adding a bunch of channels too. I would assume all their markets are picking up the channels.

Honestly, I have Dish and BHN and like them both for different reasons. BHN has more mutichannels of the premiums and On Demand, while Dish has by far the best DVR and more HD (for now).

Good idea. My only concern would be the cost factor. I replaced BHN with DISH for about the same cost per month, which seemed like a no brainer to me as my channel selection grew for the same monthly bill.

I looked today for fairly basic digital service from BHN, and it would add another $60 to my television viewing pleasure. A hard sell I would think at the moment.

Also, why does DISH have such a hard stance on not adding FBN? If it was explained in the forums here, I apparantly missed it.

Thanks,
Rick

FBN is on DIRECTV since DIRECTV is owned by News Corp which also owns Fox. Other providers have to work out carriage deals, and it takes time.

Thanks for the info. I find it interesting that Bright House broadcast it the same day it premiered. It sounds like BHN did there homework in advance, unless they have some kind of relationship with News Corp.

Thanks,
Rick

Good idea. My only concern would be the cost factor. I replaced BHN with DISH for about the same cost per month, which seemed like a no brainer to me as my channel selection grew for the same monthly bill.

I looked today for fairly basic digital service from BHN, and it would add another $60 to my television viewing pleasure. A hard sell I would think at the moment.

Also, why does DISH have such a hard stance on not adding FBN? If it was explained in the forums here, I apparantly missed it.

Thanks,
Rick

Oh, I pay a lot for TV between the two, that is for sure.

Regarding Dish and FBN. I have only recently found out that the CEO of Dish, that Charlie guy, is a huge liberal democrat and Hillary supporter, and since all the libs think Fox News is so far right, Charlie being far left, didn't want to add the channel or rush to get it on the air.

Obviously, his biased position is pissing off a lot of people that want the channel. But judging by the channel adds on Dish recently, I don't think he cares anyway.

FBN is on DIRECTV since DIRECTV is owned by News Corp which also owns Fox. Other providers have to work out carriage deals, and it takes time.

True, News Corp owns Fox and DirecTV, but they would have loved Dish to carry the channel too from the launch. Their primary goal in the next three years is to catch up with CNBC and then beat them in the ratings. From the FBN division of News Corp, they couldn't care less about DirecTV vs Dish, they just want their channel in as many homes as they can get right now to go after CNBC. They would have loved to have Dish on board at launch. I can't believe it didn't happen that way. I guess that Charlie guy is letting his personal politics get in the way, with that tired old argument that Fox News is so far right and FBN will be too. Give me a break Charlie! Add the channel.

What happened to the Liberty Media deal, where Liberty would have DirecTV?

My take on this issue is that it is not political at all--the issue is money. For those of us who have had Dish for 2 or 3 years, we know Charlie will drop a channel in a minute if the owner trys to do some gouging.

Local Fox owned channels also have been known to price themselves out of the cable market. Here in central KY we have had quite a time with Fox stations refusing to permit cable carriage of over the air programming without direct payments being made to the station. The cable companies' view has been that the cable companies provide a valuable free service (free to the broadcaster) by extending the reach of the broadcaster; the Fox stations want part of that subscriber fee.

Fox stations have a business model which says, no free carriage anywhere. If they could require listeners in their area to subscribe to their over the air boadcasts, I'm sure they would do so. If you hate Fox's politics, you should be glad of their policies since it maximizes their revenues while diminishing their scope of delivery. For example, FBN is missing out on 13.6 million sets of eyeballs (depending on how many eyes the subscribers have, most have two but some only one and maybe a few with three) by demanding a per subscriber fee that Charlie is unwilling to pay. My feeling: hurrah for Charlie!

Regards,
Fitzie

For those of us who have had Dish for 2 or 3 years, we know Charlie will drop a channel in a minute if the owner trys to do some gouging.............................

For example, FBN is missing out on 13.6 million sets of eyeballs (depending on how many eyes the subscribers have, most have two but some only one and maybe a few with three) by demanding a per subscriber fee that Charlie is unwilling to pay. My feeling: hurrah for Charlie!

Regards,
Fitzie

You act as if Charlie's hardball tactics are cool and a benefit of subscribing to Dish. It is this very tactic that keeps me from dropping cable and considering Dish anything but a secondary provider (to cable). If I had to drop one (cable or sat), Dish would go in a heartbeat. The way this guy ignores his customers and plays hardball, while not keeping the prices that great, and just refuses to add or drops a channel, I find myself constantly angry with this guy. My subscription to Dish is certainly a love hate relationship. I don't think I'll ever get on a commitment with them because this Charlie guy is a loose canon. Will he ever add FBN? What HD channels will he add and when? Who knows?!!!! This Charlie guy is a quack and if I'd known that before I ordered Dish, I may have seriously considered DirecTV instead.

This guy is being a total ass by playing hardball regarding FBN, no matter what the reason. It isn't like they are trying to rope him into paying ESPN kind of cash to add it. It would certainly make a lot of Dish subscribers happy and it certainly wouldn't hurt those that don't like Fox News, or Fox Business. What harm is it? A few cents a month subscription fee? Too bad. I don't like paying for sports channels I don't watch either, but that is just a fact of life when subscribing to a service that is trying to please everybody.

I like Dish and my channels, but I can't stand what I know about the guy running the show over there.

As I end this, I am glancing up at "Happy Hour" on Fox Business. The source of my viewing in the background here is cable, not my Dish feed. Dish has Mr. Hardball in charge and refuses to add this popular new channel to its lineup. I think this will come back to bite Charlie in the long run. You'll see.

More likely Dish is saving FBN until the next round of negotiations with Fox. They can then bargain with a consession to carry FBN in exchange for something else.

More likely Dish is saving FBN until the next round of negotiations with Fox. They can then bargain with a consession to carry FBN in exchange for something else.

Could be, but I think Charlie is making a big mistake by delaying the addition of this channel. By the time they renegotiate, Dish could lose many customers that are upset about not getting this channel. This channel is very important to many of the subscribers. I have seen more posts about this specific channel not being on Dish than any other individual channel, with maybe the exception of TBS HD and the uproar over Dish not adding it for the baseball playoffs. Obviously, Dish eventually caved and added TBS HD, and I think they will add Fox Business sooner, rather than later too. Save Fox Reality and the type of 'fun' hogwash for later negotiations, add Fox Business NOW!