Any New RSN HD News?

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
With the new HD channels that are coming out in August and September, are anymore RSN's in HD coming out? I guess the big ones that still need to be added are Chicago CSN, NESN, and MSG.

A lack of NESN in HD is a real sad state of affairs, it's right up there with our butthead local FOX affil being only 2kW and 480i over the air.

I guess Dish Network doesn't know about the Red Sox.

Sad real sad. We are going to be looking for a new house in about a year or so. If NESN HD is not on E* when I move then I will have to switch D* or FIOS. I do not want to switch but I guess I will have.

I talked another friend out of getting E* (that makes 6 people) because of no NESN and Locals in HD.

E* has more HD, but D* has what we want in New England. RSN stands for Red Sox Nation in New England.

Ken

I won't ever be moving back to D*. They sue their customers. They were getting a nice 90 bucks a month out of me until that nonsense happened.

I wouldn't go back to Time Warner either. Ideally E* will see the light, because it'd help convince me I want a VIP722 and want to move up to HD.

Again for the 100,000,000th time is not Dish keeping NESN off Dish Network, its NESN keeping itself off of Dish Network.

If NESN just let Dish Network carry only the games in HD they would be on Dish Network, but NESN wants its NESN HD to be carried 24/7. That is the problem.

*I* want NESN HD 24/7, just like the cable MSOs have it, Scott.

EDIT: It took them a buttload of time to get locals here and we're the market that represents most of the no-cable-option users in the state (for some reason the lush Portland ME market that has MOST of the cable enabled homes in Maine was more important for locals). D* doesn't even have locals here for Bangor ME's market. They're going to screw us again on NESN in HD.

Thats nice what YOU want, but THEY don't have the space to put it up 24/7.

That is the problem. :)

DirecTV has NESN HD, but guess what you can't get it from them eaither (nor can I down here in Hartford!)

They'd have plenty of room if they got rid of some of the garbage HD channels.

It's not like I'm asking for HD locals for my DMA. I figure the day that happens we'll just be watching TV via FTTH up here, which is quite a ways off I suspect in this market.

EDIT: Cmon Scott, it's not like E* has those pesky MLB EI or NFL Sunday Ticket channels in the way! :D

Again for the 100,000,000th time is not Dish keeping NESN off Dish Network, its NESN keeping itself off of Dish Network.

If NESN just let Dish Network carry only the games in HD they would be on Dish Network, but NESN wants its NESN HD to be carried 24/7. That is the problem.

Shame on NESN!! How dare they want their 24/7 HD lineup to actually be carried 24/7?!? :rolleyes:

Maybe the space will open up after the MPEG4 conversions....

Shame on NESN!! How dare they want their 24/7 HD lineup to actually be carried 24/7?!? :rolleyes:

Scott stated that there is a lot of room on 61.5. http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd...oming-dish-august-september-3.html#post950373

So if E* really wanted to they could add NESN HD 24/7 now. But, I would guess if they did that everyone would want their RSN 24/7. I wonder if that is the reason or if it is just that NESN wants to much money for their channel.

Time will tell.....

Scott, I am not pointing you out, just using your knowledge.... Thanks!

NESN probably want 1080i also not that 720p hdlite

There still seems to be some debate over which is better. ESPN claims they chose 720p because of it's "whole picture" refresh, as opposed to the "every other line" refresh of 1080i.

The claim is, fast moving things look better in 720p because of how it refreshes (progressive vs. interlaced), slower moving things (like scenery) look better in the higher resolution.

So if E* really wanted to they could add NESN HD 24/7 now. But, I would guess if they did that everyone would want their RSN 24/7. I wonder if that is the reason or if it is just that NESN wants to much money for their channel.
But, very few RSNs are 24/7 HD like NESN. With most of the others only their game telecasts are HD, and in a lot of cases not all of their games, from what I've been reading here.

The cost may be a small factor (it usually seems to be with E*), but NESN probably figures they are putting the effort and expense to do it right, why shouldn't the viewers benefit from that??

Maybe the space will open up after the MPEG4 conversions....
The 24/7 space will have to open up sooner or later. In the meantime, why not at least allow Dish to show the NESN HD games?

Scott stated that there is a lot of room on 61.5. http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd...oming-dish-august-september-3.html#post950373

Time will tell.....

Scott, I am not pointing you out, just using your knowledge.... Thanks!

You are correct they COULD add it now, but the problem here is one that you brought up, the other RSN's would want to also be 24/7 as well. In addition if they put up NESN HD, it would be CONUS while only a small area would be able to tune on and enjoy the games in HD. At the moment Dish wants to use the conus space for national channels. This means the space that is available will be used for the new channels such as MHD, Science HD and all of the other channels coming on August 15th and more coming in September as well.

In other words what can they put up there now in the space that they have to serve the most people possible.

The RSN's will be 24/7 HD next year and I am sure NESN HD will be part of the lineup, this will be after the new Satellites are up.

NESN probably still wouldn't be available even if Dish could show only the games instead of putting the channel up 24/7. Dish currently has 29 regional sports networks in SD up and available. They have 25 up in HD but only 17 are available. The other eight (Comcast Sports Net West Sacramento, Altitude Sports & Entertainment, Madison Square Garden Network, Fox Sports New York, Fox Sports Bay Area, Comcast Sports Net MidAtlantic?, Comcast Sports Net Chicago and Fox Sports New England) appear to have one thing in common and it's my guess that this is why these particular networks aren't yet available. These networks are generally (most, not all) in large market areas with lots of professional teams with lots of games being shown. My regional network in FSNBA and it's currently showing games from the SF Giants and Oakland A's and will switch to Golden State Warriors and San Jose Sharks after baseball season is over. Games from these teams are shown quite frequently in HD and I believe this is the common thread as to why certain networks aren't yet available. People are complaining about the lack of games on the available HD networks not because Dish isn't showing available games but because these networks just don't do a lot of games in HD. The networks that do, such as FSNBA, simply aren't being made available since the sheer amount of games can't be handled with the available bandwidth. Hopefully this will change in the near future but until it does those of us with the most to gain (i.e. the most games) from HD versions of regional sports networks are going to have to wait.

My regional network in FSNBA and it's currently showing games from the SF Giants and Oakland A's and will switch to Golden State Warriors and San Jose Sharks after baseball season is over. Games from these teams are shown quite frequently in HD and I believe this is the common thread as to why certain networks aren't yet available.
I don't believe the volume of HD on FSN Bay Area is a factor in its non-carriage on Dish Network.

Comcast recently purchased 60 percent of FSN Bay Area, and had been in negotiations with Rainbow (the previous owners) for some time prior. I believe Comcast's involvement, not the volume of HD, is the reason why we haven't seen FSN Bay Area-HD on Dish Network.

I further believe that Comcast's stubborness in negotiating carriage of FSNBA-HD constitutes a violation of U.S. anti-trust laws. Can somebody please explain to me how Comcast's position isn't a prima facie violation of the Clayton Act? Quoting Clayton Act Section 7, 15 U.S.C. § 18:

"No person shall acquire, directly or indirectly, the whole or any part of the stock or other share capital... of the assets of one or more persons engaged in commerce or in any activity affecting commerce, where... the effect of such acquisition, of such stocks or assets, or of the use of such stock by the voting or granting of proxies or otherwise, may be substantially to lessen competition, or to tend to create a monopoly."