Any news on CSN-Philly coming to DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

doublek97

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
I asked on the Dish forum, and not much response. The terrestrial loophole was closed, Comcast appealed and lost, but still no new news. One person said Comcast is simply asking a steep price and that neither DirecTV nor Dish will pay for the channel. Recent news on this subject just isn't available. Has anyone on this board heard anything?

and already answered there too

the loophole is closed now but CSN Philly is asking for like $5 a sub for it and both D* and E* pretty much told them to F off....
and since CSN Philly can ask for whatever price they can thats how they are getting around the loophole

and already answered there too

the loophole is closed now but CSN Philly is asking for like $5 a sub for it and both D* and E* pretty much told them to F off....
and since CSN Philly can ask for whatever price they can thats how they are getting around the loophole

Thats fine ... (unless your in that area) eventually they will see all the subs that are not seeing thier available channel ...

Maybe that will be the next issue, to get a reasonable price point.

You would think a channel would want to be seen by as many people as possible, but that seems to NOT be the case in this one.

Comcrap

I used to do business with Comcast and they are without a doubt the most arrogant SOBs God ever put on the face of the earth. The pricing is strictly out of spite, that's just how they roll.

My suggestion to this problem is offer it optionally to subscribers. For me at $5/mo it is a no brainer. Sold, I can actually watch the Flyers again and I get to keep my choice in service provider.

My suggestion to this problem is offer it optionally to subscribers. For me at $5/mo it is a no brainer. Sold, I can actually watch the Flyers again and I get to keep my choice in service provider.

that $5/ is only based on a total possible subscriber base for the specific re-trans company, in this case DirecTV. if you were actually allowed to buy it directly a la carte from the provider (Comcast), you likely wouldn't get that same bargain pricing like in the old c-band days.

$5 x 60k = $300000 VS $5 x 20M possible US subs = $1200000000000

They can't ask more from DTV or Dish than they do from other providers. There's more here than meets the eye but it's been discussed to death all over.

I don't beleive that Comcast is interested in an arrangement of that sort.

The phillies are talking about forming their own network..this whole issue could be moot in a couple years

If that were allowed by the RSN's, Dish would have all the NY RSN's too. You have hit upon the exact problem facing any provider with RSN's. They insist on being in most all the pakages, and insist on high cost.

They can't ask more from DTV or Dish than they do from other providers.

Is that a new law specific to the Comcast case or are you guessing? Otherwise that's far far from the truth. That's what negotiations are about....If Dish might get a lower price by holding out, they are probably held to not discussing the actual price, in fact any price negotiated is probably conditioned on not being revealed.

Direct TV should just pay Comcast and end all of this. Feck both Comcast and Direct TV at this point but at least Comcast is offering it to them at all.

I always hate when people put Direct TV up on high on this subject. As if Direct TV is fighting for us, the consumer. From what I can see the consumer in the Philadelphia area is not gaining a single thing from all of the battles Direct TV is fighting to keep our costs down. None of us end up seeing our local sports franchises at least without having to subscribe to Fios as well.

Last edited:
fireponcoal said:
Direct TV should just pay Comcast and end all of this. Feck both Comcast and Direct TV at this point. At least Comcast is offering it to them at all.

They are being forced to offer it. And, just to be clear, your position is that Direct should pay whatever Comcast is asking for this channel? What if Comcast is asking for $10 per sub per month (or more)? What is clear is that Comcast hates having to share this channel for competitive reasons, so it would not surprise me if the price tag they put on it is outrageous enough to deter Direct from adding it. (thereby complying with the mandates of the court ruling while completely defying the spirit of the ruling)

dangue said:
They are being forced to offer it. And, just to be clear, your position is that Direct should pay whatever Comcast is asking for this channel? What if Comcast is asking for $10 per sub per month (or more)? What is clear is that Comcast hates having to share this channel for competitive reasons, so it would not surprise me if the price tag they put on it is outrageous enough to deter Direct from adding it. (thereby complying with the mandates of the court ruling while completely defying the spirit of the ruling)

Whatever, don't care and yes I am aware. People who are always so hell bent on talking up the greatness of D* and it's fight for our rights usually live far outside of our region. So, this issue usually really has nothing at all to do with them. Fios found it in their deep pockets to pay Comcast and so should D*. I wish people would leave D* in mass over this issue actually. Then Comcast would win but really, who the feck cares.

There is no news on when CSN Philly will come to DirecTV (or DISH).

There is no news on when DirecTV will carry the superstations.

There is no news on when DISH will carry the superstaions in HD.

There is no news on when FearNet is coming to DISH.

There is no news on when either provider will start carrying subchannels or cab le exclusives.

There is no news on when the Cubs will win the world Series.

fireponcoal said:
Whatever, don't care and yes I am aware. People who are always so hell bent on talking up the greatness of D* and it's fight for our rights usually live far outside of our region. So, this issue usually really has nothing at all to do with them. Fios found it in their deep pockets to pay Comcast and so should D*. I wish people would leave D* in mass over this issue actually. Then Comcast would win but really, who the feck cares.

If this is so important to you that you're willing to let Comcast "win" so long as you get the channel, why not switch to Comcast and be done with it?

I do have Fios as well. I do love the equipment that D*has and continue to carry a contract with them(center ice, extra innings and direct kick as well). I'm simply a very disgruntled Philly native who is simply tired of the continuous D*back patting when in reality there is an offer available to them. Other places more then here of course but ya' know what I mean.

We will see what the future holds as the online options for the MLB, MLS and NHL are very attractive to me. The contract that I carry is the biggest boulder in the way of me leaving. I simply wish the supposed sports leader would throw philadelphians a bone already. I'm sort of tired of looking at some poster from OKC(or what have you) telling me that it's comcrap and all Comcast that is at fault. I hate the term comcrap to be honest.. Hah. :)

Last edited:
Well, if DirecTV wanted to get smart about this, why don't they play Comcast's own game when it comes renewal time for the ROOT networks... e.g. Root Sports Northwest, which is owned by DirecTV? As in if Comcast wants to carry Root in Seattle for less than $5 per sub, they offer CSN in Philly to D* for a reasonable fee... There has to be a way to leverage the carriage of the others RSNs. Either Comcast stops carrying the Root networks and keeps Philly--and D* picks up a bunch of subs in those areas, or gives in and everyone wins.

--Nat

Wouldn't this CSN Philly debate only matter to those mainly in Philly, and how would it affect pricing wise for non phily subs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts