Any news on future Hoppers/DVR's yet?

FearTheVoices

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
NH
I am liking the hopper overall but it's interface does seem dated TO ME now after using it for a few years with both 1st and 2nd gen versions. Is there any information on the 3rd Gen hopper yet or anything else they are coming out with?

I happened to be at my sisters a couple weeks ago and ask them what service/DVR that was? They said it was Comcast and i must say they have come a long way since i saw there last DVR about 8 years ago. It looked really nice i must say, very clean looking. Not that i would ever consider going back though!

Thanks

A new interface for the Hopper system is coming soon. It's called "carbon" also coming out with a new voice controlled remote soon as well.

The next Hopper will have all the features of the current HWS, be wireless, have every music and video app available, and automatically add every new HD channel as it launches. The remote will have a keyboard and pointing device, as well as voice recognition.

The code name for the new Hopper is the Blue Hopper and it will be manufactured in a new facility in Pittsburgh.

;)
:oldwink

The next Hopper will have all the features of the current HWS, be wireless, have every music and video app available, and automatically add every new HD channel as it launches. The remote will have a keyboard and pointing device, as well as voice recognition.

The code name for the new Hopper is the Blue Hopper and it will be manufactured in a new facility in Pittsburgh.

;)
And now I sit back and laugh.

Reactions: osu1991

;)
I thought it was Detroit, isn't that where Claude is located?

Voice controlled remote? I don't know about that. Like when I say "when is supper going to be ready" and the TV goes to the Food Network. Or, "Honey, you know this is Saturday night", and all of a sudden I'm switched to the Playboy Channel. Nah, I'll stick to the old method of remote control.

real funny the blue hopper anyone heard anything on the new dish music app where we are suppose to get tunein and iheart radio?

Reactions: navychop
I keep hearing about it in threads. Just not when it will come out. Right now, Alan, I think you are the leading expert in this app, for this site.

The only "new" thing coming is the 4K Joey. It will function with current Hoppers. I've not heard nor has Scott mentioned anything about any new type of Hopper product. However, keep in mind that the Hopper itself doesn't really need anything "new" just yet, and what Dish has brought us new are Super Joey (additional 2 tuners for a total of 5 tuners to a Hopper system), Wireless Joeys, Virtual Joeys, the coming 4K Joeys, and now the new/refreshed Hopper UI promised for this summer, and access to Netflix on HWS's only. Also, the HWS brought us the transfer of recordings to mobile devices, but I can't think of anything that seems in demand that would require a new generation of Hopper.

My personal dream is if the next Hoppers could be MOCA 2.0 capable and maybe even Gigabit Ethernet, but this is still not a change for the Hopper as we know it today. The Hopper was well designed, in that is why there really isn't a need for a "new Hopper" but just making certain the Hopper will support future tech. I suspect when 4K becomes more popular we shall see a Hopper more designed around that and whatever else seems to be in demand in a few years that may require a new generations of chips to achieve.

My personal dream is if the next Hoppers could be MOCA 2.0 capable
HWS probably is Moca 2.0 capable - the chipset is at least, but everything else in the Hopper ecosystem is 1.x. I wonder if the 4K joey will be able speak 2.0 with the HWS.

and what Dish has brought us new are Super Joey (additional 2 tuners for a total of 5 tuners to a Hopper system) ... the coming 4K Joeys
And what Dish has done by going this route is make somewhat of a modular, whole-home system. Note how they're not modifying the "core" Hopper ? They must feel that it has become a pretty solid base and don't want to change it too much on the hardware side, so the improvements (4K support, add'l tuners, etc) are done by add-on pieces.

I have to agree, that the current UI on the Hopper is getting old now. I was looking at mine the other night and I was thinking about it and was saying yeah it looks nice but it looks out of date now. So I am looking forward to the carbon interface.

As far as a new Hopper goes, if I were a betting man I would expect to see a new Hopper at CES. While I have not heard anything I would expect it to be a Super Hopper. With built in 4K Support, MORE Tuners, a larger hard drive (Maybe 3 or 4 TB) a unit that can take DISH through the next 10 years without an issue. Of course I do not expect the Super Hopper to be for everyone at launch. I am sure there will be requirements for people to upgrade to one. But as 4K TV become more common I see more people getting one.

DISH luckily has always been known to be on the bleeding edge and really the only upgrade I can see coming within 10 years is a final speck on MPEG 5. Some consider HEVC to be MPEG 5 but I am told its not, its just an early spec version. So we will see where that going. But again I would expect to see a new Hopper at CES. (And of course SatelliteGuys will be there to show you first. :))

Reactions: TheKrell
I have to agree, that the current UI on the Hopper is getting old now. I was looking at mine the other night and I was thinking about it and was saying yeah it looks nice but it looks out of date now. So I am looking forward to the carbon interface.

As far as a new Hopper goes, if I were a betting man I would expect to see a new Hopper at CES. While I have not heard anything I would expect it to be a Super Hopper. With built in 4K Support, MORE Tuners, a larger hard drive (Maybe 3 or 4 TB) a unit that can take DISH through the next 10 years without an issue. Of course I do not expect the Super Hopper to be for everyone at launch. I am sure there will be requirements for people to upgrade to one. But as 4K TV become more common I see more people getting one.

DISH luckily has always been known to be on the bleeding edge and really the only upgrade I can see coming within 10 years is a final speck on MPEG 5. Some consider HEVC to be MPEG 5 but I am told its not, its just an early spec version. So we will see where that going. But again I would expect to see a new Hopper at CES. (And of course SatelliteGuys will be there to show you first. :))
scott have you heard anything about the dish music app i know they advertised at CES and it would be nice and great to get tunein and iheart?

Alan the next time you post the same question again I am afraid I will have to ban you. Knock it off please.

I already told you that it appears the project is dead. No amount of asking it going to bring it back. If I do hear something though I will post it.

Reactions: Hall
Alan the next time you post the same question again I am afraid I will have to ban you. Knock it off please.

I already told you that it appears the project is dead. No amount of asking it going to bring it back. If I do hear something though I will post it.
ok scott i will stop talking about can i still talk about wanting tunein and iheart radio to come to dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)