Any news on new Dish HD channels

donh76

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Hi I am a current DirecTV SD subscriber but I have bought a new HD TV that is now on its way. I have been reviewing all of the pros and cons between DirecTV and Dish trying to decide which provider to go with for HD. With DirecTV talking about adding up to a 100 or more HD cahnnles later this year, when the new satellites are up up, has Disk indicated that they too will also be adding new HD channels this year? Thanks

Dish has 31 HD channels today and better PQ. DirecTV has promises. It isn't even known if all those "future" HD channels will even come online by year's end. But you can count on Dish to pretty much match D*, especially in the HD arena. They have to, to remain competitive.

And there may be delays in the next launches of both companies' satellites, due to the recent Sea Launch failure. Payloads may get juggled, even on other launchers.

I can't tell a huge diff in picture quality, but I can tell you one thing, when dtv launches the new hd channels they will most definately charge an arm, leg, and your firstborn child. They will most likely have issues when the channels first come out, and there will be many hidden charges. There is a reason I switched from the dtv call center to working in the field for dish

Correct me if I am wrong but most of the HD on DirecTV is being shown in 1280 x 1080, while the majority of Dish HD is being shown at 1440 x1080.

Are these numbers not correct?

Right now DISH has he edge in resolution and in the number of channels offered. DirecTV has promised improvements in both and hopefully they will deliver. Both providers are constrained by bandwidth and the availability of HD channels.

None of us knows who will be the best in a year---because none of us knows if D* will be able to keep its promises or whether E* can keep up.

I think Dish's moves towards the new Tandberg encoders is their ace in the hole. And if they can provide both more and higher quality they will do so. Direct has a slick marketing campaign, Dish still has the lead.

I would switch over to dish until directv actually goes thru with its plan. after they get their stuff in service you can then evaluate who is the better option for YOU. I have given up on being a dedicated sub... I am now a what have you done for me lately sub, and so far dish has done everything that I want.

Ford is better than Chevy.... Wait, that has NOTHING to do with this thread. Hmmm, neither does PQ between E* and D*, does it ?? The OP asked about quantity of HD channels, NOT quality.

Right now DISH has he edge in resolution and in the number of channels offered. DirecTV has promised improvements in both and hopefully they will deliver.

When did Directv promise improvements in resolution? I thought they are in denial that they have even done anything to their HD channels?

Just as E* will eventually get every HD network that D* has announced agreements with, so will D* eventually get the improved MPEG-4 encoders that E* is now using. Such is the nature of competition.

I agree. E* currently has just about every national HD channel that currently exists and certainly can't afford to allow D* to offer twice as many HD channels so I think E* will have around the same number of HD channels D* says they will have. What E* is sorely lacking in is offering the locals in HD. Anyway as I write this I even though this country is still struggling to go digital and HD and probably won't get there for a few more years I read about something called UHD (Ultimate HD, sometimes called Super HD) in Japan where they provide a 16 fold increase in pixels. Why must we always be so far behind the curve? I betcha that really requires some bandwidth.

You know what? Let the Japanese have it. HDTV is in danger of becoming like PCs, where every couple years you'll be outdated. We're already at 1080p, but with no programming options for that and none likely for a very, very long time. The world is just gearing up for 1080i and 720p. People are not going to go for buying new tvs that costs a few thousand bucks every couple years. Only a very small segment of enthusiasts will do that. They need to let the technology develop to where the programming matches the current potential and leave it like that or risk obscurity for newer improvements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts