Any old school photographers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I'm looking for any old school photographers ( 35 mil film, home dark rooms ) who have old equipment including camera's such as a Nikon F4 that they may be interested in selling. I made a decision after a new friend looked at some of my old work and its time to get back into what I did best.

Yes it is also in the pub, not everyone is a pub member and I want to cover my bases.

I was old school until a year and a half ago. I just got rid of my last film camera a few weeks back when I picked up my D200. I've found that I much prefer the digital world now that the equipment is on par with what the film world has had for decades.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Van,

Go digital, you will not regret it!

While I agree with you about digital, it really depends on what he wants to accomplish. Film still produces a superior image, especially if you enlarge it much. Maybe Van just want's to work with film and processing; there's nothing wrong with that. I always enjoyed the darkroom work but my wife was never too keen on the smell of the chemicals.

It's not too much different than me building up an analog stereo system right now. I know that digital is far superior at reproducing sound in most cases, but I like having the 10 1/2" TEAC reel to reel recorder spinning tapes. It looks cool and the music now sounds the way I remember it from the 60's and 70's whe I first heard it.

Digital is ok but I am a dedicated 35mil film fan not just for the hands on aspect of devoloping the film but also for the trial and error that comes from working with the images and putting them on paper or the anticipation you get when your using low light film and hideous shutter speed and aperature settings to create something incredible. I have a digital camera from sony thats a 5mp and I use it for pics of the kidlette ( man I miss her ) but digital still can not hold a candle to film photography though I dont know about the 14mp camera's that are out ( $8grand ).

I'm with MrPerdue, new tech is good in its own regards but there is honestly nothing better than static on an old LP or the sound quality of a reel to reel like the german made one my father brought back after vietnam. Digital photo equipment takes the finess out of the art form thanks to photo editors like adobe photoshop, any joe schmoe can spend 3 mins and make a dull picture look great but a film photographer has to make it happen as much as possible out in the field and the rest is back in the lab.

Van said:
Digital is ok but I am a dedicated 35mil film fan not just for the hands on aspect of devoloping the film but also for the trial and error that comes from working with the images and putting them on paper or the anticipation you get when your using low light film and hideous shutter speed and aperature settings to create something incredible. I have a digital camera from sony thats a 5mp and I use it for pics of the kidlette ( man I miss her ) but digital still can not hold a candle to film photography though I dont know about the 14mp camera's that are out ( $8grand ).

I'm with MrPerdue, new tech is good in its own regards but there is honestly nothing better than static on an old LP or the sound quality of a reel to reel like the german made one my father brought back after vietnam. Digital photo equipment takes the finess out of the art form thanks to photo editors like adobe photoshop, any joe schmoe can spend 3 mins and make a dull picture look great but a film photographer has to make it happen as much as possible out in the field and the rest is back in the lab.

My son totally agrees with you on the film. He loves experimenting. He has had some fun with the very saturated films too. Really striking photos.

Im going to work on getting my negs scanned ( scored a freebie find of an epson scanner with a negative and slide atachment but the one I really need will run about $1,600 or so ) so I need to work on saving what I have made from 1989 - 1994. At one point I almost lost it all to a car fire, if it hadnt been for an old leather jacket that I had sitting on top of the leather bag all the film and pics were in I would have been royaly screwed.

I looked at a photo in outdoor photography the other day and it was of a desert scene with a horse coral, an old 50's pickup, and a plastic life size horse in the coral. Each of the items was photographed in diferent locations and then photoshopped into the scene, granted it was a good blend but the program takes the thinking out of doing the blending of the three images. As much as I love computers and technology I completely diplore the fact that technology is taking the thinking out of so many things that we do in our every day life and I find myself drawing lines in the dirt as to where I want tech and where I want time honored technology.

Well, I am not a photographer.... too lazy.... point and shoot. My son has been very interested for quite awhile now. He just sold a bunch of Nikon equipment on ebay a little over a week ago. I can appreciate the difference between knowing how to use a camera and all of it's settings to get your desired effect rather than using a program to manipulate the image. In my opinion it takes a lot more talent to do the former.

You are so right, talent and patience. I wish that I had posted on this earlier, your son is the second person directly or indirectly connected to this site that has sold equiment on ebay within the last few weeks.

I've put out the word through a good friend of mine that has some connections in hollywood and other area'sso hopefully something will pop up there as well. I'm more leary about going the route of ebay now with something like this because I have not had the greatest of results with ebay and moderate to high ticket items.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)