Any Outernet Updates? Lantern?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
I'm in. I was watching tv on the old Pi with a tevii usb when playing around with outernet.

Sold Out every where. Have one on back order at mcm. :)

So I would think finding a Good remote is a must?

How is the outernet project doing? I ordered one of the Lantern back In November.

How is the outernet project doing? I ordered one of the Lantern back In November.

Sorry I don't know have not played with it in months.

The Lantern looks cool.

Have not talked to Syed in a few weeks, but they are at over $500,000 raised and yes showing Aug for est. delivery.

I wanted to order a lantern but I have concerns with it mainly being what happens when they run out of funding?

$500,000 sounds like a lot of money but not when your buying high dollar satellite airtime. Unless a sweetheart deal was obtain.

But with Google backing elen musk with a billion dollars to lunch satellites to provide Internet to 3rd world place's that's 2way and broadband speeds Just makes me wonder.

Looking forward to reading the reviews of folks that order. I like satellite anything.

Reading a bit about this, very exciting indeed. Their data is being sent on Galaxy 19 Ku. Did a scan and found their marker card, see pics.

Sponge

Attachments

• 100_4128.JPG
    100_4128.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 339
  • 100_4129.JPG
    100_4129.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 518
Hyello. Lantern development is going really well. We'll have some news and updates to share in March. With any luck we'll have a test signal for L-band (the mobile service) live in April. This won't be on Inmarsat, but will be in the same band and the signal will have similar characteristics. With any luck, I might even have a cubesat update to share.

Regarding Elon Musk, Google, and all of those rich folk. Yes, they will likely solve the problem of lower-cost global satellite internet, but Elon has even said that it will likely take 10 years. I think we'll have a low costs two-way service well before then, though our architecture will be significantly different (think white space).

And you're right, $500,000 isn't a ton of money. We're actually taking a bit of a haircut on the Lanterns we pre-sold for $99. But that's only part of the cash; naturally there are other sources of capital.

Reactions: KE4EST
Thanks for posting an update Syed!

Very good thanks for the update and answering those questions/statements I made. Glad to hear you have more capital :) if you could launch a cubesat that would be awesome.

The website now stating it would be October for shipments. This is concerning those who made orders back in November, 2014. I'm getting kinda pissed about this.

Has anyone built a Pi for Outernet?
I would like to hear about it, as I have an old Model B I would like to build to receive Outernet.

I've waited longer on KickStarters, it is part of the deal. When someone puts something into development, there are lots of things that arise that were not foreseen. Also one can run into problems with the manufacturer, and then they send you 10,000 units after you approved something.......to find out THEY made a change that was not approved by you or your development team. That opens up a whole different can of worms to deal with and get re-done to get out to the customer. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.