Any progress between MLB and E*?

Just to be clear, in this case "everyone else" is only DirecTV and InDemand (who represents all of the major cable companies). Both paid an estimated $700 million for MLB:EI for 7 seasons.
And FiOs. That leaves only Dish and U-Verse without. Meaning more have it than don't

Last edited:
It's not complicated. If you want sports, go to DIRECTV. Leave DISH Network for those who would rather not have their channels clogged with sports packages.

It's not complicated. If you want sports, go to DIRECTV. Leave DISH Network for those who would rather not have their channels clogged with sports packages.
I hate this argument. Why does it have to be one or the other? What if someone is a sports fan and prefers their Dish Network receiver over anything that DIRECTV has to offer? It just isn't so clear cut and sounds rather selfish to basically say "I don't like sports so anyone who does should go elsewhere."

There are only a few places where Dish is at a significant disadvantage compared to DirecTV when it comes to sports programming:

1) People who want the full out-of-market NFL Sunday Ticket package. (although I'd be willing to bet Dish made many football fans happy with the RedZone offering, especially at the price)

2) People who want the full out-of-market MLB Extra Innings package. Sports fans can still get their local team on their market Regional Sports Network, and TBS / ESPN games on Dish.

3) People in NY/NJ who cannot get their local teams in HD or even at all because Dish doesn't carry Yankees Entertainment and Sports (YES) Network, and they don't carry the HD feeds of the Madison Square Garden (MSG) networks.

4) HD RSNs are currently game-only, and limited capacity means that HD coverage of some games gets bumped. I expect Dish will resolve the capacity constraint in the next 12-18 months. This isn't as big of a deal as it sounds like because even if Dish was 100% HD 24x7 on all the RSNs, a good percentage of the games are still being produced in SD anyway due to the limited number of RSN broadcast trunks that have the facilities to produce and uplink the game in HD.

Outside of those specific detractors, Dish carries NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, ESPN Game Plan, ESPN Full Court, and MLS Direct Kick.

As a huge hockey fan, Dish gets me the games on Versus that my friends with DirecTV are missing because of the contract dispute.

It's just not as simple as DirecTV=sports.

I hate this argument. Why does it have to be one or the other? What if someone is a sports fan and prefers their Dish Network receiver over anything that DIRECTV has to offer? It just isn't so clear cut and sounds rather selfish to basically say "I don't like sports so anyone who does should go elsewhere."

Ditto:)

3) People in NY/NJ who cannot get their local teams in HD or even at all because Dish doesn't carry Yankees Entertainment and Sports (YES) Network, and they don't carry the HD feeds of the Madison Square Garden (MSG) networks.

Outside of those specific detractors, Dish carries NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, ESPN Game Plan, ESPN Full Court, and MLS Direct Kick.

As a huge hockey fan, Dish gets me the games on Versus that my friends with DirecTV are missing because of the contract dispute.

It's just not as simple as DirecTV=sports.

If Dish took care of Number 3, they would have me back in a minute.

+1

But it never fails, any sports related thread on the E* forums will inevitably have some ding-a-ling who puts D* on a pedastal for sports and expects the rest of us to worship it...

The asking price was to carry MLB-EI at some obnoxious rate, SkyAngel apparently isn't doing that....
SkyAngel is also no longer satellite-based distribution. Since it's IPTV, my guess is they worked out a deal for their set top boxes to be able to subscribe to the mlb.tv Internet feeds. (ala the Roku deal)

SkyAngel is also no longer satellite-based distribution. Since it's IPTV, my guess is they worked out a deal for their set top boxes to be able to subscribe to the mlb.tv Internet feeds. (ala the Roku deal)

Something about Sky Angel: On their website it states that they are only SD and who knows when they will provide HD quality?

I am not going to watch MLB in SD!

I would have considered Sky Angel but no HD :no

MSG HD isn't available because CableVision refuses to sell access to the channel at any price to any company that competes within their service area. Cable companies like TWC and Comcast get access because cable service footprints don't overlap. DirecTV is the one exception, and that was only because it was used as a bargaining chip during the Voom debacle. Even with the HD feed being uplinked, DirecTV is still forbidden to allow access to viewers outside of the NY area for use in the packages like NHL Center Ice.

This is absolutely false. I have the NBA League pass and I see the Knick games on MSG all the time. When I had Center Ice, same thing with the Rangers.

I also can watch the rest of the programming on MSG and MSG + because of the sports pack.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)