Any Requirement By Dish That Your IP Address Match Your Physical Location?

jimdandyvi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Virgin Islands
Wife just got back from Sweden with a list of Swedish streaming video sites. In order to receive them or receive them with the audio in Swedish requires an IP in Sweden.

Not a problem as I just changed some software settings on the router that I use for my video equipment (Slingbox, Dish Receivers and a Roku ). The wife is now happy because with an IP in Sweden she can watch all her shows from the homeland and leave me alone so I can watch football.

Will Dish notice or care that my ISP's IP is now 4,500 miles from where my Dish receivers are?

It would not be convenient to move the Dish Receivers to my other network which shows an IP for where the receivers are located since all my video equipment is networked using Ethernet over PLC and switching to WiFi while possible might not work as well as my present set up.

Sure they will notice. Not sure if they will care. Might put you on the Nazis (audit team) radar...
Unlikely they are worried about account stacking which would show several units at different IP addresses. As long as it is 1 only they really don't look at point of origin. I use a type of anynomizer that will give different IP addresses on my PC but think that the 722k will show it's home location. It is my billing address but not my service address. If questioned I would just tell them that I have my IP assigned from that billing address.

You can expect some blocking. Their problem is international distribution, just like your Swedish provider blocking unless you have a Sweden ip address. Dish is not "selling" out of the US market so they won't supply a download IP streaming feed to foreign ips (other than slinging).

So any receivers in the snowy northern area would be blocked Nelson61? Correct?

Not the receiver, only internet video streaming to the receiver. everything else would work fine, sat reception, diagnostics, etc.

And, a US based vpn server would address that issue just like jimdandyvi is probably using for his wife's sweden streaming.

short answer is no. I have 4 boxes on 3 different Ip address. 2 are comcast (one modem for each side of the house) and 2 on att uverse for testing reasons.

Why would you have two cable modems? Why would you just not upgrade to a faster plan? Just wondering?

How do you like better Comcast or uverse for transit?

they might give you a standing ovation for pulling in the same signals in sweden as you did state side and ask how your 200' dish is mounted.

All truth it would not be an issue for dish and even if it was you could switch back and report from original ip addy in seconds vs days if you truly had the box in sweden.

Bingo: You have the technology right.

I can now stream video from anywhere to where ever I am. Dish already restricts streaming to the USVI as does HBO, Amazon, etc. With a few key strokes I can be in Florida, Sweden and a number of other states or countries. With my router optimized for VPN connections an IP in the right place is not a problem anymore.

For anyone needing a similar solution look at Sabai Technology's web site to see a turn key solutions using VPN loaded routers. Having bricked a router recently the premium they charge was worth it and their support is so good and friendly you almost want to event problems so you can talk to them. No telephone ques or long waiting times.

So I would buy a router from Sabai and subscribe to StrongVPN and I could have a US IP anywhere in the world?

peano said:
So I would buy a router from Sabai and subscribe to StrongVPN and I could have a US IP anywhere in the world?

Do a search for dd-wrt. They explain it all and provide a list of routers that can be upgraded and instrctions. Lots of neat additions besides adding support for vpn.
Your smart phone also supports a vpn connection (strong vpn is one of the better providers).

Yes. You could also have an IP in the UK so you could watch BBC programming.

Don't need to have a router with VPN capabilities unless you want to change the IP on a device that can't run VPN software such as a Roku, Play Station, Boxee Box, etc.

If you do need the router Sabai is the easiest way to go as setting up a your own router with Tomato or DD-WRT and then getting all the settings correct is not always easy. If you make a mistake flashing firmware onto a router you can brick the router. In the process of upgrading the DD-WRT OS on a Buffalo router I locked it up making it useless. To salvage it would require removing the main board and working at the chip level.

Sabai offers a turn key solution with excellent support for a reasonable price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)