Any screensaver anywhere?

SteveinDanville

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
When I put a show on hold because I get a phone call and leave the room for 20 minutes, for example, the picture never defaults into a screensaver mode. I have two large plasmas, and the oldest one from 2010 gets image retention (Samsung 8000 series). This scares me. My 612 used to burn the guide boxes into the screen, and you don't stay in the guide for very long, usually. Is there any fix to same by displays?

There is not a screen saver built into the hopper, the best thing to do if you are leaving the system paused for that long of a period currently would be to turn the TV off, but leave the receiver powered on. That way it will still be paused when you turn the TV back on.

I will be happy to forward feedback on a screensaver for the Hopper.

I heard someone at Dish say that because the buffer is only an hour long, the program will begin playing at the paused point before burning occurs. Sounds a bit lame, but it does make some sense as it should take several hours of continued image to burn in. Watching a channel with an always present bug for an hour should NOT be a problem for any HDTV, even plasmas, but watching that same channel for an hour over many days could present a problem However, worse is the my Hopper will NOT auto shut off at 4 hours as I have set it, but all my Joeys will auto shut off after the 4 hours I've set.

I don' t think leaving it paused on a program should give one a burned image problem because the image one is pausing always changes, as live TV is ever changing as is what we watch from the Recordings list. However, the EPG could, over time, be the real problem because one is always recalling that very same image (at least the portions that are static) again and again over a great period. I would suggest the Disney WOW blu-ray which as a section to get rid of burnt images, but it does require many hours of uninterrupted play.

Samsung plasmas have a screen wiping mode where vertical bars from white through several light to dark grays and then to black scroll sideways across the screen. Leave it on overnight and it does a good job. I find it interesting that even a $49 Roku has a screensaver with adjustable start times (2 minutes, 5 minutes, etc.). Oh well, just one more thing to do. Thanks all.