Any signal issues at 123W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

netbuilder

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Missouri
I noticed the other day that my signal on G10R was a little weak but still showing programming. Yesterday (10/14/08) most of the transponder signals were either gone or very weak! I'm using an old DirecWay dish (36X26) which has always given me a solid signal in the past but now - near nada.

Other LNBs on the diseqc are operating just fine on that link so I don't think it is a cabling issue - I'm just hoping my dual output LNB for 123 is OK.

I didn't want to go tweaking the dish or replacing parts if the bird was having transponder or signal issues up there as I have seen a few threads in the past experiencing some issues. So what's the consensus you guys!?

Thanks

Theres another thread on this further down. I too am experiencing the same thing 50-80 % qualitys on almost every other sat but 123 is very weak at 8-13%. Two weeks ago it was at 50-60%.

yes, maybe . . .

The brand new AMC 21 @ 125° may be kicking your butt.
Only 2° away is pretty tight for all that PBS and RTN. :cool:
Look around for threads on that bird.

Thanks for the pointers guys! I finally read through all of the entries on those posts you guys recommended. I think 125W is kicking me so I will re-align slightly my fixed dish to avoid interference. I will probably also clean up all my connectionson the inline cable to squeeze literally every "bit" of signal I can out of the LNBF because I'm sure I will have to live with a slightly degraded signal.

Thanks!

if you want PBS . . .

If you want to get the new 125° for PBS, you might give a read to WescoPC's thread on 2° spacing.
I believe you're using a long-focal length dish for 123°, so you might like to try following in his footsteps.
See also my pointer in that thread to the AMC 21 thread, (page 4 and 5) for more info.

AMC 21 at 125w is probably why your having problems and your dish needs to be adjusted. I went through this all last week and finally solved the issue when I realigned the dish. See my thread on this here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/150794-rtn-problems.html

Re-aligning your dish also may not help, as I can, unfortunately, attest to, so good luck to all others who are having problems. May the offending transponders on AMC21 crash and burn!

May the offending transponders on AMC21 crash and burn!

hahahha. If you are refering to the PBS transponders, I hope you can live to at least 2016 as that's how long the "offending" transponders are contracted for. There may even be a renewal as that date approaches so you may have to wait even longer.

hahahha. If you are refering to the PBS transponders, I hope you can live to at least 2016 as that's how long the "offending" transponders are contracted for. There may even be a renewal as that date approaches so you may have to wait even longer.

No, the PBS transponders are fine, not having a problem with them. It is whatever (and it hasn't even been identified yet) is causing the interference with G18's 11718 and 11798 (or 11720 and 11800) frequencies.

I am also having major problems with 123.0W which started last week on my 12 ft Mesh Dish, and could not get AMC 21 at all, but my Dish is not fine tuned to the West side, and I need to address what looks like some Polorotor issues. Need to recheck connections at the feedhorn.

No, the PBS transponders are fine, not having a problem with them. It is whatever (and it hasn't even been identified yet) is causing the interference with G18's 11718 and 11798 (or 11720 and 11800) frequencies.

I wish I knew what was up there? Like to get to the bottom of that. I guess I was lucky that my dish had good enough sidelobe rejection to knock out the signal at 125. But your right Keith some dishes no matter how much tweaking you do won't null out 2 degree issues. There just not 2 degree compliant :( Then the only option is another reflector or play the waiting game to see if that issue subsides by some kind of magic.

If anyone wants to run a transponder scan of transponders 1,2 & 3 on 125w with a spectrum analyzer feel free and post your results. Really like to get to the bottom of this. :hungry:

But your right Keith some dishes no matter how much tweaking you do won't null out 2 degree issues. There just not 2 degree compliant :( Then the only option is another reflector or play the waiting game to see if that issue subsides by some kind of magic.

Can't see a larger dish in the immediate future (just put a new roof on the house) so will just have to "grin and swear at it" for now. On the weekend, I will see whether my SC 75e dish, which is currently pointed at AMC21, is any better at 2 degree compliancy than the 80cm Fortec. With my luck, it won't be any different (probably worse), and then will have a hard time re-aligning it back to the signal levels I am getting currently on AMC21!

If anyone wants to run a transponder scan of transponders 1,2 & 3 on 125w with a spectrum analyzer feel free and post your results. Really like to get to the bottom of this. :hungry:

Yes, I'll like to know what kind of signal causes such a large amount of interference that it can play such havoc as this one does, and in such a strange way.

Can't see a larger dish in the immediate future (just put a new roof on the house) so will just have to "grin and swear at it" for now. On the weekend, I will see whether my SC 75e dish, which is currently pointed at AMC21, is any better at 2 degree compliancy than the 80cm Fortec. With my luck, it won't be any different (probably worse), and then will have a hard time re-aligning it back to the signal levels I am getting currently on AMC21!

Keep your eyes open for freebie's for dishes. I spent only the cost of 2 lnbf's for the 84cm. My 90cm Primestar cost me about $90 to put up, pipe concrete and all. The dish was free the mount cost me $15.00 and the rest was for pipe concrete etc.

I wonder how good the fortec dishes are with 2 degree spacing? Is G-18 at boresight for you?

Keep your eyes open for freebie's for dishes. I spent only the cost of 2 lnbf's for the 84cm. My 90cm Primestar cost me about $90 to put up, pipe concrete and all. The dish was free the mount cost me $15.00 and the rest was for pipe concrete etc.

I wonder how good the fortec dishes are with 2 degree spacing? Is G-18 at boresight for you?

It appears to be rather barren around here for free dishes that would be good for FTA. Unfortunately, BEV and Star Choice became popular with their smaller dishes (though I am always on the lookout for 60e SC dishes, can be used on strong satellites, or for feeds satellites). So nothing like Primestars around here.

My 80cm Fortec Star dish isn't good with 2 degree spacing, as that is the dish I'm using, and the LNB for G18 is at boresight.

It appears to be rather barren around here for free dishes that would be good for FTA. Unfortunately, BEV and Star Choice became popular with their smaller dishes (though I am always on the lookout for 60e SC dishes, can be used on strong satellites, or for feeds satellites). So nothing like Primestars around here.

My 80cm Fortec Star dish isn't good with 2 degree spacing, as that is the dish I'm using, and the LNB for G18 is at boresight.

I found my Primestar out in the trash back in 1999. It sat in my basement till 2006 when I put it into service. My ADTH I got from a friend that the neighbor next to him moved and the new people took it down and tossed it in the trash so he snagged it for me.

I know what you mean about no real FTA dishes around by you. There are nothing but dish network and direct tv dishes all over the place here. Any buds you see are missing panels or wrecked. If it weren't for my friend I would never had got the 84cm. The thing is tell everyone you know to keep there eyes open if they see anything. Of course they have to know what to look for too. My friend that found mine is a tv tech and has put up direct & dish so he knew what to look for. He kept telling me about his neighbors dish but we needed them to get rid of it to get our hands on it. I knew nothing about that dish when I got it and the lnb only worked on one polarity H so that needed replacement. The dish itself is a well manufactured reflector. Can't touch the Primestar (channel master) though, that thing is real nice including the threaded elevation adjustment on the mount. Shame It won't see G-18 where I mounted it :(

Another thing is keep your eyes open for businesses that may have old VSAT or data dishes, they can make a nice prize if snagged.

Can't touch the Primestar (channel master) though, that thing is real nice including the threaded elevation adjustment on the mount.

The Star Choice dishes are also made by Channel Master, and the 75e has the threaded fine elevation adjustment (though, for some reason, I seem to always start turning it the opposite way to what I should be turning it for fine adjustment). It is a great bonus when you need the dish just a touch higher/lower. As well, the elevation scale on the SC dishes I have are almost spot on to what it should be (unlike some other dishes I have, where the scale can be off by up to 5 degrees).

Wow, the AMC-21 databurst transmissions are affecting your G18?????? I'm impressed if your dish is in good alignment to AMC-21 and at least 90cm in size.

Your dish may not quite in alignment (needs elevation or azimuth fix?) or may be undersized to the point it is affecting things, since you are getting enough databurst transmission interference to affect being able to lock a relatively easy DVB-S type signal from G18.

Wow, the AMC-21 databurst transmissions are affecting your G18?????? I'm impressed if your dish is in good alignment to AMC-21 and at least 90cm in size.

Your dish may not quite in alignment (needs elevation or azimuth fix?) or may be undersized to the point it is affecting things, since you are getting enough databurst transmission interference to affect being able to lock a relatively easy DVB-S type signal from G18.

Keith did all the adjustments to try to null out the offending data. His dish (80cm Fortec Star) and location is just working against him (he already stated it's not 2 degree compliant). Although others here at different locations with smaller dishes are having no problem. Possibly the EIRP for 125 is stronger at his location than Galaxy 18.

I had problems with my 84cm ADTH until I made a slight adjustment. My dish is 2 degree compliant and has been working fine for a week now since I bumped the azimuth & elevation. Others on the forum besides us two are also having problems.

You mentioned that there is a databurst transmission on AMC 21. Do you know where the source is from and on which transponder it is located on? Were trying to get to the bottom of that, any info would be appreciated.

The Star Choice dishes are also made by Channel Master, and the 75e has the threaded fine elevation adjustment (though, for some reason, I seem to always start turning it the opposite way to what I should be turning it for fine adjustment). It is a great bonus when you need the dish just a touch higher/lower. As well, the elevation scale on the SC dishes I have are almost spot on to what it should be (unlike some other dishes I have, where the scale can be off by up to 5 degrees).

I like the threaded elevation adjustment on the Primestar and have turned it the wrong way also, The scales are very good also on that dish. I've been toying with the idea to add something like that to my ADTH. I never looked much at the scale for the elevation on the ADTH. Having my roots in C band I always set that dish up with an inclimometer.

I have found the Starchoice adjustment screw to be more of a hinderance than help. The play in the pivot bolt, as well as the adjustment hardware is just too much for a very fine adjustment. It does work for getting the dish in the general area, but not very well for fine adjustment. (maybe just my dish) I have often thought of replacing some of the hardware to take some of the slop out of the movement, if even just the pivot bolt of the dish. Some brass bushings would make the adjustmentswork great.

My reception of G10r... or G18 has vastly improved this past week. Hopefully the signal fluxuations are overwith, as I have multiple recordings each day off of G18.

Status
Please reply by conversation.