This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Any Sling Improvements in Hopper 3?

redman042

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Folsom, California (95630)
Is there any news whether the Hopper 3 will have improved performance streaming content to remote devices? I'm using a first-generation Hopper with external Sling module and I find that performance varies pretty widely when accessing content remotely from my smartphone. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's glitchy. The audio is never all that great. I have a 24/2 mbps U-Verse internet at home and access content from the latest model iPhone with LTE, or over wifi, or within the house.

I know there are many factors affecting performance, but I'm thinking/hoping that the Sling hardware/software on the Hopper could have been improved - perhaps a better codec, better compression, etc. Any news on this?

I put in my request for an upgrade. We'll see what happens.

Until somebody actually gets an H3 to test (& can openly talk about it) there's no way to know. Hopefully we all should know "soon" ?.

This seems like as good a place as any to ask a question: I also have a first-gen Hopper w/external sling adaptor. It has no direct connection to my home network - it's using MOCA. My HWS is connected to my network and the Internet via Ethernet cable. I could have sworn that I was able to access the first Hopper remotely with Dish Anywhere at one time but cannot any longer. Should I be able to? Any ideas what I might be missing? Thanks!

You should be able. Do you have bridge mode turned on, on the HWS? Does it not show up at all?

I have bridging set to enable on the HWS, disabled on the H2K .... Whether I use the app or browser, I see "family room" but cannot connect there. The H2K does show Internet. Does the sling adapter have a (red) indicator light? I can't remember .. Nothing lit on mine.

Yes if the red led is not lit you probably will need to replace the sling adapter

Ok - I bet the Sling has bit the dust. I couldn't remember if it had a light or not (it's not very obvious from looking at the adapter).

Thanks!