any suggestions-canyon interference

odbrv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 21, 2004
Lubbock, Tx
I live on a lake in a 300 foot deep canyon. I had little luck with an attic analog tv antenna and went to satellite tv years ago. I receive local channel now. However, they are all SD. Are there HD antennas that might be able to get OTA HD in my area. Here is my profile fron antenna.org
red - vhf KCBD 11 NBC LUBBOCK TX 270° 9.1 11
* red - vhf KCBD-DT 11.1 NBC LUBBOCK TX 270° 9.1 9
red - uhf KAMC 28 ABC LUBBOCK TX 258° 9.6 28
red - vhf KLBK 13 CBS LUBBOCK TX 262° 10.8 13
red - vhf KTXT 5 PBS LUBBOCK TX 280° 12.7 5
red - uhf KJTV 34 FOX LUBBOCK TX 254° 11.1 34
blue - uhf KXTQ-CA 46 TEL LUBBOCK CA 254° 11.1 46
blue - uhf KPTB 16 IND LUBBOCK TX 276° 8.3 16
* blue - uhf KLCW-DT 18.1 CW WOLFFORTH TX 12-06 254° 11.1 16
blue - uhf KMYL-LP 14 MNT LUBBOCK TX 254° 11.1 14
blue - uhf KLCW 22 CW WOLFFORTH TX 254° 11.1 22
blue - uhf KJTV-CA 32 IND LUBBOCK TX 254° 11.1 32
blue - uhf KBZO-LP 51 UNI LUBBOCK TX 263° 10.8 51
blue - uhf KGLR-LP 30 FMN LUBBOCK TX 259° 9.7 30
* violet - uhf KGLR-DT 30 FMN LUBBOCK TX TBD 258° 9.6 30
* violet - uhf KTXT-DT 5.1 PBS LUBBOCK TX 280° 12.7 39

In cases like yours, you would usually go with an antenna several sizes larger than suggested on paper to overcome the losses associated with geography.

I would suggest a winegard hd7084P (minimum) or possibly a hd8200P antenna with winegard hdp 269 preamp and rotor (to help you on poor reception days) mounted on the roof. Do not suggest an attic install under your conditions. These two antennas have high forward gain, are directional and excellent performers. Just the type of antenna you will need.

would not take the chance with the cm4228 uhf only antenna to receive this channel. Do not feel the cm 4228 will have enough gain/cushion to receive the channel adequately and will be a risk.
red - vhf KCBD-DT 11.1 NBC LUBBOCK TX 270° 9.1 9

you may need to experiment with location to find the sweet reception spot on your roof since you will be dealing with signal reflections.

Last edited:
There are only three digital channels in Lubbock that broadcast HDTV.

KTXT-DT PBS Virtual channel 05 - Frequency channel 40
KCBD-DT NBC Virtual channel 11 - frequency channel 09
KJTV-DT FOX Virtual channel 34 - frequency channel 35

Get your antenna 10-20 ft above your roofline and you should be able to get all three. I would start with an inexpensive channel master crossfire or an RCA antenna from Lowe's or Home depot, or a Radio Shack all channel antenna in the red or blue designation.

It is puzzling why KTXT-DT is violet. It is not that much further from you than the others and it is full power (890kw). Also, KLCW-DT and KGLR-DT do not exist. Looks like antennaweb.org needs some work as far as Lubbock is concerned.

My antennaweb plot of Ransom Canyon shows everything yellow, except KTXT-DT red and KAMC-DT and KLBK-DT red and blue. Don't count on getting KAMC or KLBK until they broadcast at more than 1 kW.

If you are right down on the lake the numbers will be poorer and you will need a larger antenna. More important than a large antenna is to get it up as high as possible. You are only 13 miles from the furthest tower and the caprock bluff is your only obstacle.

My experience in canyon/valley.

One home the signals are hot and another home even 2 houses down signals are terrible.

One home install a hd7080P other home just makes it with a hd7084P.

In business you bring a selection of antennas to swap and try for best performance. The everyday user does not have this luxury. You can also not always depend on numbers.

that is why I started conseratively with the hd7084P. The extra size and gain is not going to kill ya and the chances of working is high.

Forgot to mention...before investing in another antenna, see if you get better performance with your current antenna outside.

Last edited:
Jim5506 said:
There are only three digital channels in Lubbock that broadcast HDTV.

KTXT-DT PBS Virtual channel 05 - Frequency channel 40
KCBD-DT NBC Virtual channel 11 - frequency channel 09
KJTV-DT FOX Virtual channel 34 - frequency channel 35

If you are right down on the lake the numbers will be poorer and you will need a larger antenna. More important than a large antenna is to get it up as high as possible. You are only 13 miles from the furthest tower and the caprock bluff is your only obstacle.

I am right down on the lake. Thanks everyone for your help. I think I will wait until more stations go full power HD. The last outdoor big antenna I put up for SD blew off the roof in one of our high wind days. I do get local SD and the west coast CBS HD via the Dish Network. Hopefully, they will open up more networks HD once they get their court case out of the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts