Any suggestions for a 2 tuner non-HD DVR unit?

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, I picked up an SA-8300 HD DVR/Rec. and my big screen is 6 yrs. old. in the past it has had convergence problems and does a good job with SD signals. It just won't give a decent HD pic and I am returning it tomorrow. I tried to find out what C-cast offers in DVRs w/ 2 tuners, but can't find anything on their site.

Can someone recommend a good running unit with 2 tuners? Thanks.:confused:

DVR Cable Box

HI, Today I went to C-cast and picked up an SA Explorer 8000 unit. It works fine, BUT the 2nd set of output jacks don't work. There is also a 3rd set of jacks called Aux. in that according to SA's site are to go to a DVD player or a VCR??

Do you or anyone else know why the extra sets of rca jacks don't send a signal to my DVD recorder or my vcr??

I could get the cable signal by using the coax - out from the 8000 to In on both the VCR & DVD recorder. Any thoughts?

Thanks.:confused:

Welcome to ComCrap.. :)

The SA 8000 disables all outputs other than the one you are using. Fun Fun!

I refuse to use the Comcast box and I have a Tivo S1 and a Tivo HD S3..

-t

Sa 8000

Welcome to ComCrap.. :)

The SA 8000 disables all outputs other than the one you are using. Fun Fun!

I refuse to use the Comcast box and I have a Tivo S1 and a Tivo HD S3..

-t
I don't follow what you're saying. I pulled various pages & schematics from the SA site. According to what they say: 1) The Main-(To TV) output jacks go there. 2) The # 2 set of Out Jacks- ( To a VCR) supposedly only send a signal from recorded programs in the 8000's HD. 3) The 3rd set of jacks- (Input/Aux.) are to use with an external device like a DVD p[alyer, etc. to send a signal to the 8000.

I am really confused. I don't understand why the 8000 would shut off all other jacks if I'm using the "Main" output set. Do you know why that is? I do want to get maximum sound quality as I have a 7 ch. surround system. I used the Digital sound out jack on the receiver and routed it to the same input on my surround amp.

Other than this strange explanation regarding the other 2 sets of jacks the unit runs great and I am satisfied. Tomorrow a tech. is coming out to troubleshoot the unit. Let me know why the unit is shutting off the other sets of jacks. Thanks a lot.:confused:

I don't follow what you're saying. I pulled various pages & schematics from the SA site. According to what they say: 1) The Main-(To TV) output jacks go there. 2) The # 2 set of Out Jacks- ( To a VCR) supposedly only send a signal from recorded programs in the 8000's HD. 3) The 3rd set of jacks- (Input/Aux.) are to use with an external device like a DVD p[alyer, etc. to send a signal to the 8000.

I am really confused. I don't understand why the 8000 would shut off all other jacks if I'm using the "Main" output set. Do you know why that is? I do want to get maximum sound quality as I have a 7 ch. surround system. I used the Digital sound out jack on the receiver and routed it to the same input on my surround amp.

Other than this strange explanation regarding the other 2 sets of jacks the unit runs great and I am satisfied. Tomorrow a tech. is coming out to troubleshoot the unit. Let me know why the unit is shutting off the other sets of jacks. Thanks a lot.:confused:

The way the SA8000 was built.. Try to get them to give you an 8300, supposedly that doesn't have the issue. For my other TV i use an SA3250 (non-dvr) due to this issue you are mentioning.

More info:

Read post 5:
http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/thread/12852/Scientific-Atlanta-8300HD-works-perfectly/

Read post 9:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?.=.&s=&postid=2104651&.=.#post2104651

Also be aware of auto-shutoff
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?.=.&s=&postid=2470291&.=.#post2470291

Save yourself the grief and pickup a tivo on eBay... heck, if you really want dual tuners pick up two Series 1 Tivos..

Oh wait.. you want HD.. forget that, a series 2 won't record HD (well you can via the output from a cable box, but it would be SD at that point).

Suggest you invest in a Tivo Series 3.. you WONT be dissapointed..

New development

The way the SA8000 was built.. Try to get them to give you an 8300, supposedly that doesn't have the issue. For my other TV i use an SA3250 (non-dvr) due to this issue you are mentioning.

More info:

Read post 5:
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD works perfectly: Sling Community

Read post 9:
Series 2 TiVo with a Scientific Atlanta HD box? - TiVo Community & Store

Also be aware of auto-shutoff
Series 2 TiVo with a Scientific Atlanta HD box? - TiVo Community & Store

Save yourself the grief and pickup a tivo on eBay... heck, if you really want dual tuners pick up two Series 1 Tivos..

Hi, I have a new development. My wife and I just ordered a Sony 60" TV- Model # KDSR60XBR2. The TV was just reduced by $400 to $3399 as the new line will be out in 1-2 mos. I have a Sony CC & they gave me an 18 mos. SAC deal. So, I will be going to C-cast after I get the new set to get the 8300HD DVR unit.

I did research Tivo and found out that only the super expensive state of the art unit has the good sound to go with my surround system. I can' afford to buy an $6-8 hundred dollar Tivo as I have to pay for the new TV. Question: If I buy a Tivo unit later on how do I save money with C-cast? Will they just charge me the $4.95/mo. DVR fee? I understand that Tivo charges between $12-14/mo. for their service. I also inquired about an extended warranty from Tivo and the rep told me they do not offer one. On a very expensive unit that could spell big trouble if it fails out of warranty. I also inquired about leasing a unit and Tivo said they don't do that.

I find it very odd that they weren't real interested in superior sound quality on their earlier units and only have it on the series 3 unit.

What are your thoughts??

Series 3 on Comcast.....

I got my series 3 hooked up and I can get all my channels except for the premium, like HBO, SHO, MLB EI. My digital, HD and analog come in, but not the premiums. Is this their activation problem? They told me it wasnt, but I can't believe that.

Hi, I have a new development. My wife and I just ordered a Sony 60" TV- Model # KDSR60XBR2. The TV was just reduced by $400 to $3399 as the new line will be out in 1-2 mos. I have a Sony CC & they gave me an 18 mos. SAC deal. So, I will be going to C-cast after I get the new set to get the 8300HD DVR unit.

I did research Tivo and found out that only the super expensive state of the art unit has the good sound to go with my surround system. I can' afford to buy an $6-8 hundred dollar Tivo as I have to pay for the new TV. Question: If I buy a Tivo unit later on how do I save money with C-cast? Will they just charge me the $4.95/mo. DVR fee? I understand that Tivo charges between $12-14/mo. for their service. I also inquired about an extended warranty from Tivo and the rep told me they do not offer one. On a very expensive unit that could spell big trouble if it fails out of warranty. I also inquired about leasing a unit and Tivo said they don't do that.

I find it very odd that they weren't real interested in superior sound quality on their earlier units and only have it on the series 3 unit.

What are your thoughts??

Series 2 is NOT a digital Tivo. That Tivo came out years ago and was designed for analog only (or digital via a set-top box being sent into the box via s-video). The series 2 has NO native digital tune or digital processing for audio.

Extended warranty is not really something you'd need for a Tivo. Case inpoint my first tivo has been running for 6+ years now. Even if the hard drive goes, you can replace it.

If you went to a Tivo 3, comcast would charge you for 2 cable cards (not sure what the cost is in your area, you'd have to call comcast). Yes there is a service fee associated with Tivo. You can pickup units with Lifetime on eBay. Series 1 and Series 2 Tivos with lifetime service run about $150-$350.

Comcast is expected to release Tivo software on its Motorola Boxes. But since you are in an SA area it will be a year or more yet.

-t

I got my series 3 hooked up and I can get all my channels except for the premium, like HBO, SHO, MLB EI. My digital, HD and analog come in, but not the premiums. Is this their activation problem? They told me it wasnt, but I can't believe that.

Do you have a cable card in your Tivo 3? if not then that is the problem, w/out a cable card you will be unable to tune any digital or encrypted channels.

-t

Series 2 is NOT a digital Tivo. That Tivo came out years ago and was designed for analog only (or digital via a set-top box being sent into the box via s-video). The series 2 has NO native digital tune or digital processing for audio.

Extended warranty is not really something you'd need for a Tivo. Case inpoint my first tivo has been running for 6+ years now. Even if the hard drive goes, you can replace it.

If you went to a Tivo 3, comcast would charge you for 2 cable cards (not sure what the cost is in your area, you'd have to call comcast). Yes there is a service fee associated with Tivo. You can pickup units with Lifetime on eBay. Series 1 and Series 2 Tivos with lifetime service run about $150-$350.

Comcast is expected to release Tivo software on its Motorola Boxes. But since you are in an SA area it will be a year or more yet.

-t
Hi, I did not know until yesterday that Tivo was not a combo unit. The Comcast rep told me I would still need an SA receiver. So what's the big deal about TiVo? If I need two units to get the job done that doesn't make any sense at all. At this time I have picked up an SA 8300 from Comcast. I'm getting my new TV this Friday and I have the blue ray player. As both are Sony I'm expecting an excellent picture all around. I'm curious to know what kind of a picture I would get if I played a blue ray disc in the player and recorded that info on a normal recorder with 480 lines of resolution. I have little experience with high definition TV and HD players. I guess I'm still a little confused over the differences between blue ray regular HD players and discs.

Hi, I did not know until yesterday that Tivo was not a combo unit. The Comcast rep told me I would still need an SA receiver. So what's the big deal about TiVo?

The Tivo CAN record w/out another box. Again, the S1 and S2 are analog recorders and do need a cable box to record digital channels, but can record all analog w/out help. Remember, the S1 is 8 years old! The S3 is a digital box and has everything one would need.

When your SA8300 crashes, misses programs, you realize that it is slow and cumbersome, you're tired of the ads displayed, isn't user friendly, and offers nothing beyond just recording; then you'll know what the big deal is about Tivo.

Once you Tivo, you'll never go back to just TV.. :)

-t

The Tivo CAN record w/out another box. Again, the S1 and S2 are analog recorders and do need a cable box to record digital channels, but can record all analog w/out help. Remember, the S1 is 8 years old! The S3 is a digital box and has everything one would need.

When your SA8300 crashes, misses programs, you realize that it is slow and cumbersome, you're tired of the ads displayed, isn't user friendly, and offers nothing beyond just recording; then you'll know what the big deal is about Tivo.

Once you Tivo, you'll never go back to just TV.. :)

-t

1) How does HBO's signal get to Tivo if C-cast does not support Tivo? How much does the S# cost? Why did you buy a Tivo instead of just using the C-cast DVR?
I just sent a DVR back to Dish and it worked fine for 2 yrs. Then cable got me on a nice promo. As I really liked the DVR it made sense to get another one. I know about SA cable boxes, but not much about their DVR's. I'm pretty tapped out with the TV & BluRay player. What will C-cast charge if I buy a Tivo & how does it all work together? I realize that C-cast & Tivo aren't in business for their health. I appreciate your feedback.

You'll pay a monthly subscription fee to Tivo for their guide service plus you'll pay a fee for each (of 2) cable cards you'll need from Comcast in order for the Series 3 to receive premiums. The Tivo itself will cost ~$500.

Oh and since the Series 3 doesn't support two-way communications you won't be able to use On Demand (or CH1) with your Tivo... and when Comcast starts using Switched Digital Video (SDV) your Series 3 will be almost useless.

Don't buy the hype... sure Tivo has a slightly more user friendly interface, but is it worth the cost and obsolescence?

Our dear Tivo-preacher friend here also seems to have the SA DVR mixed up with the usual Comcast DVR which is a Motorola 64xx or 34xx series... the SA8300 is a much better piece of equipment.

You'll pay a monthly subscription fee to Tivo for their guide service plus you'll pay a fee for each (of 2) cable cards you'll need from Comcast in order for the Series 3 to receive premiums. The Tivo itself will cost ~$500.

Oh and since the Series 3 doesn't support two-way communications you won't be able to use On Demand (or CH1) with your Tivo... and when Comcast starts using Switched Digital Video (SDV) your Series 3 will be almost useless.

Don't buy the hype... sure Tivo has a slightly more user friendly interface, but is it worth the cost and obsolescence?

Our dear Tivo-preacher friend here also seems to have the SA DVR mixed up with the usual Comcast DVR which is a Motorola 64xx or 34xx series... the SA8300 is a much better piece of equipment.

Wow, You sure said a lot. I love the interactive cable guide and I use the on demand feature religiously. As I just got the SA 8300 unit I will evaluate it and get back to you in a couple weeks. However, I just brought back an SA8000 DVR unit that worked fine. If what you say is indeed factual I'm glad you are honest enough to tell me all the details. I would much rather have a unit that has on demand and the interactive guide than one that doesn't.

I understand that some people are very brand conscious and loyal to their products. Opinions vary. I personally am a Sony TV person and I swear by their TVs. I have a 1989 27 inch XBR TV that's in my bedroom and it still works fine. Before I will degrade any piece of electronic equipment I will give it a fair valuation. Thank you for your input in this discussion.

One question. Why are some people on this forum so anti-Sony? Is it because of the bluegray player or a Sony looked at as a bully in the industry?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)