Any techs with dual tuner receivers.....?

ProSat2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
I have been trying to find the time to try this out. I don't have a dual tuner receiver myself only a 510. The problem is at some houses TV2 is so far away from the box that the remote won't work. I have attached 2 or 3 foot extensions on to the antenna and have had success, but still some of them are very delayed. I have an idea (I'm sure it's not new) about using duplexers with the remote antennas.

Let's say at the back of the receiver I run a pigtail to one side of the diplexer from the TV2 output and then another pigtail from the antenna jack. At the TV2 location I would install another diplexer with the pigtail coming from the TV2 output to the tv and then just attach the antenna to the other. Shouldn't that make the whole line act as an antenna? Would it be too long of a run to do something like that? I would save a lot of problems with long distance runs to the TV2 locations. It's just a thought, but is there anyone that would be willing to give it a try? If you have and it doesn't work I would also like to hear about that as well.

Thanks,

LM

Simplesimon has a diagram using 2 splitters that works great, Ive used it recently when there was significant interferance within 10 ft of the receiver, do a search on the forum for it or send him a pm about it.

The last time I saw this subject brought up, the suggestion that worked was to use a set of 2 way splitter/combiners (most splitters work as combiners in reverse) like you'd use diplexers to combine the UHF signal with the TV2 signal.. apparently works pretty well :)

I do it all the time down diplexed DPP lines.

simple solution (baring FCC issues right)....3 pig tail jumpers.

1 from UHF ant port to reversed splitter (combiner) 1 from tv2 out put to other port, line from single side to diplexer UHF?tv input.

tv 2 location. line from wall to splitter, attach ant. on one port, third pigtail goes to tv.

youre golden.

ITK said:
I do it all the time down diplexed DPP lines.

simple solution (baring FCC issues right)....3 pig tail jumpers.

1 from UHF ant port to reversed splitter (combiner) 1 from tv2 out put to other port, line from single side to diplexer UHF?tv input.

tv 2 location. line from wall to splitter, attach ant. on one port, third pigtail goes to tv.

youre golden.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that I can do this (UHF/TV2/Dish signal) with only one cable? No more multiple lines? I have tried several ways, but gave up due to time constraints. People don't generally like using them as guinea pigs. This would be awesome. What about the second diplexor?

LM

Well diplexors always come in pairs.

run a line from your dish to the 1st diplexor...sat in. Line to IRD on in/out port. line to second tv on UHF/ANT/TV port depending on brand.

Inside at IRD. line from wall to 2nd diplexor in/out. from sat leg jumper to seperator (you are using DPP LNB's right?) 2 legs from seperator to 2 sat inputs on IRD.

Now you need a 2-way splitter turned around to use as a combiner. a jumper from the UHF ANT port to one of the splitter legs. Another jumper from the tv2 output to the other splitter leg. from the in/out leg of the spliter to the UHF/TV/ANT leg of the indoor diplexer.

Now at the 2nd tv location...line from wall to IN leg on another 2-way splitter. hook up the ant on one leg and a short jumper from the other leg to the tv...set to your modulated Ch and you are golden.

all that stuff behind the IRD can be a bit combersum, but its a whole lot better me thinks then 2-3 lines coming in and out of the house.

I set all my back panel connections up before i ever place the IRD at the set, put it in place connect line from wall to diplexer, power up, check switch, modulate, cancel, yes yes yes.....yer done.

sorry if im not clear, but continue to ask and ill do my best. or maybe someone else is better and explaining than i am...

Someone seriously should make a "Dual tuner handybox" where TV2, one of the sat feeds, and the UHF remote signal are all combined/diplexed/whatever else into one cable :)

ITK said:
Well diplexors always come in pairs.

run a line from your dish to the 1st diplexor...sat in. Line to IRD on in/out port. line to second tv on UHF/ANT/TV port depending on brand.

Inside at IRD. line from wall to 2nd diplexor in/out. from sat leg jumper to seperator (you are using DPP LNB's right?) 2 legs from seperator to 2 sat inputs on IRD.

Now you need a 2-way splitter turned around to use as a combiner. a jumper from the UHF ANT port to one of the splitter legs. Another jumper from the tv2 output to the other splitter leg. from the in/out leg of the spliter to the UHF/TV/ANT leg of the indoor diplexer.

Now at the 2nd tv location...line from wall to IN leg on another 2-way splitter. hook up the ant on one leg and a short jumper from the other leg to the tv...set to your modulated Ch and you are golden.

all that stuff behind the IRD can be a bit combersum, but its a whole lot better me thinks then 2-3 lines coming in and out of the house.

I set all my back panel connections up before i ever place the IRD at the set, put it in place connect line from wall to diplexer, power up, check switch, modulate, cancel, yes yes yes.....yer done.

sorry if im not clear, but continue to ask and ill do my best. or maybe someone else is better and explaining than i am...

No I understand perfectly I just wanted verification. We have the diplexors now if I can just convince the company we sub from to purchase splitters it will make my life a whole lot easier. Winter is comping and that damned dual cable doesn't like to pull or bend very easy when it's cold.

Thanks again,

LM

Hey no problem man. whatever we can do to legitamately make our jobs easier yano.

the cavet to all this as noted by another member when i 1st posted this idea, is that you may be transmitting the signal to the TV2 OTA because of the Ant. which may not be so kewl with the good ol FCC.
Loooow signal, but....

I just dont worry about it.

Yeah, right.

The last time I tried plugging an antenna into the TV2 output I practically had to hold my portable TV's antenna up to it to get a signal. The little antenna in question didn't even work ;)

Oh im not doubting, i know its got no power, but....its still transmitting.

OoTLink said:
Yeah, right.

The last time I tried plugging an antenna into the TV2 output I practically had to hold my portable TV's antenna up to it to get a signal. The little antenna in question didn't even work ;)

the longest distance i ever got was about 10 ft through 1 wall, but that was with a booster and going through a pretty good size of rabbit-ear antennas.

as far as splitting the antenna signal off, i've done it over very long cable runs and from a house basement, over to a metal garage, and it worked awesome, with almost no lag time... you should be search for it you should be able to find it, we've done a couple threads in detail about this subject.

Hi guys!

Yeah - I've talked about the transmitting of TV2 out the UHF remote antenna before.

Since then, I've done some testing, and while it might not be legal, I agree it's NOT going to be a problem.

Now, the combining/diplexing concept. It's easy if you understand the CONCEPT.

Splitters/Combiners work in one frequency band (for our purposes VHF/UHF - 50-850MHz). You can use them as much as desired with two considerations. First, no same channel from more than one source. Second, a splitter introduces signal loss, so every one shortens your maximum working distances.

Our diplexers have band-pass filters. One port is for low-band, the other for high-band (900-2150+ MHz). Knowing that, plug satellite stuff into satellite stuff, and VHF/UHF into VHF/UHF. The combined ports ALWAYS face each other on the cable. Done deal.

Last consideration with all these boxes is if a power inserter (DPP44, SW64, OTA antenna or rotor) is involved. Rule of thumb is to NOT box any of these boxes between a power inserter can and the device being powered. Exception is if you KNOW the box is rated to carry high current.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)