Status
Please reply by conversation.

Covack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Down South
Have any of you Guys been able to get any channels on this bird,
Lyngsat has some channels listed ,but I have failed to get any signal.
I figure you need a dish bigger than a 10' . I was able to view some
analog channels back in the day,but not very many .

I have never been able to watch from this bird. The only time I ever seen any indication of signal was last summer with a DVB receiver and a TP # supplied by a friend. I found the weak signal, but could not get a lock. There are some on here who have gotten it, but I think they are on the "left" coast and towards the north.
Good luck on any attempts....

Al

Edit: the supplied TP # was for some Radio Networks using Starguide's system. They are not listed on lyngsat and are supposed to be pointed at the lower 48.

Last edited:
I'll be your AMC-8 expert. AMC-8 is FULL of encrypted data. It is mainly used for the major radio networks. Clear Channel, Florida's Radio Network, ABC-New York, Westwood One, Jones Radio, ABC News, ABC NewsCall, and so on.

The encryption is unknown to me, although you need a Starguide III Receiver to get those radio channels. Plus, you have to call the provider(s) to become authorized for those radio channels. Nice receivers too. Lots of data on one single transponder.

FTA wise, not much to see. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, always looking for those elusive feeds on any sat I can get, all the time.

Just be sure to check Lyngsat for feeds. Remember, the sats with names like AMC-*, Galaxy-*, and the IA (IntelSats), and good for searching feeds. Keep in mind, SBS6 (74 West) is full of sports feeds on the weekends.

From what I hear, C-band is prime for feeds. You can get em on Ku as well but mainly news feeds and live shots.

Have fun!

The AMC-8 stuff that shows on Lyngsat is spotbeamed to Alaska. AMC8 has (I think) 16 spotbeams and 8 CONUS transponders.

I asked the same thing a few months ago :)

I wonder why radio networks are using such a far west satellite as it is. You would think they'd want something a little more centralized in the US. I guess with today's technology it doesn't matter. Plus, the radio network broadcasts are all on odd transponder numbers...maybe that makes a difference.

Using a 10 ft mesh from the Pacific NW I can grab about 7 C-band tv stations on it that are in the clear including the PBS out of Fairbanks. Actually they all are a bit higher in quality readings than the Nasa group on AMC7.

SD

techno935 said:
Plus, the radio network broadcasts are all on odd transponder numbers...maybe that makes a difference.

Late reply. Broadcasters typically use single polarity LNBs and feedhorns. Hence, most of the broadcasters on a given spacecraft will all be on one polarity so users don't have to deal with multiple LNB feedhorns or multiple dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts