Any tips for install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Leafs99

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Seattle
I have my new install coming on Friday. Are there any sticky threads or general tips from folks on things I should either make sure to set up ahead of time, or make sure to ask/tell the installer?

I am getting 2 whole-home DVRs (for additional recording capacity) and 1 additional HD receiver. Regular slimline dish. Cinema connect kit included in the install - which I want to be wired ethernet, not wireless.

Thanks guys!

Anytime an installer comes out, I watch him or her like a hawk to make sure they do everything correctly, if they have a lot of work orders on their plate, they might cut a corner here and there which may lead to further problems down the road.

Also, make sure you don't have any dogs or cats that don't like new people (though I'm sure you already new that).

Lastly, make sure everything where new equipment will be going is easy to get to.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few key things to watch.

1. Be sure they seal the bolt holes with silicone or something if they install the dish on the roof.

2. Be sure they install a ground block and actually ground it.

3. Be sure they install not one but two monopods on the dish.

4. Be sure they make drip loops at the ground block and especially anywhere the wires enter the house.

When I had the original install done I asked the installer if he wanted me to help him with the tedious things like run cable which he said would help him great. I know houw my house is set up and the easiest way to run cable through it....he didnt
When I got upgraded to HD the only thing I did was have a 7/16" wrench handy...especially when the installer dropped his in the snow :)

I assume you know where the receivers will go? When I upgraded I ran a new RG6 cable to that room....mainly because it is a pain to run cable to that room so I saved the tech a good hour running cable

Like Iceberg mentioned, you can make yourself available to help with anything the installer might need help with, but it is really best to just be on the sidelines. They don't have time to chat and really need to focus on what they are doing.

In my case there was some internal wiring that I chose to do myself to save time during the install (and to get it done the way I wanted). My installer did want to replace some existing wire to the dish area with his solid copper core wire for the power to the SWM head. I volunteered to do the attic pull. I heard him laughing all the time I was up there. He could not get over a 71 year-old guy moving about the attic the way I did. He did all the hookup inside.

It was my installers first MRV setup so we went through a learning curve on that. But, I had a very good experience and really appreciate all the orientation he provided when he was here. Just enjoy the experience.

A few key things to watch.

1. Be sure they seal the bolt holes with silicone or something if they install the dish on the roof.

Most of the new installs, they use a tar like sheet between the foot and the roof. When they bolt it down, the tar seeps out of the bolt holes, sealing the foot.

Thanks guys, good tips.

My house is new construction from just last year, and it is equipped with an OnCue media panel where all the wiring for the house terminates. I'm hoping that all the internal wiring will be compatible with D* and that they won't have to run new cables - is this an accurate expectation, or are there specific coax cables that are needed to be run to where all the receivers will be?

home run spot is the best (or media panel as you describe)

Just regular RG6 cable will work fine

I also have a question about my install, and rather than starting a whole new thread thought I'd use this one.
My installation is scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday. I am replacing Dish, and the four boxes are going where I already have RG6 cable runs. My question concerns one run that has two splices with barrel connectors for our bedroom receiver. We originally were using the bedroom where the cable enters the house, but after all our kids moved out we moved to a different bedroom. I just extended the cable into the closet, through the wall, and into the adjoining room. Earlier this year we were having problems with that box and had a tech come out. I was not there and when I got home found that the problem had been that the cable had gotten pinched in the door and he had spliced the bad spot together. So the question is, am I going to have problems down the road with the two barrel connectors (within just a few feet of each other, or is it a non-issue. Since otherwise this is going to be a pretty simple install, where the installer will be able to use the cable already present for most of the install, should I have him put in a new run to that room? I am planning to ask the installer tomorrow, but thought I'd get some more objective opinions here. Thanks for any insight you can give me.

BTW, I think I have enough cable left from other projects that I could probably run a new cable from where the original splice was, but don't have enough to replace the whole thing, at least not before tomorrow.

but it wouldnt hurt to have a straight shot and no splices

actually with barrel connectors you do lose a little bit of signal. Not much on high powered DBS but you do lose signal

I'm now all hooked up and activated. Looking forward to enjoying the weekend checking out all the HD =). Thanks for all the pointers, guys. The installer was professional and did a good job hooking everything up the way I wanted.

I got two HR24's and an H24 receiver.

Good to know about the skip/slip. I'm not at home at the moment and I didn't have much time to try it all out, so I'll check tonight and reconfigure if needed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts