Any updates on MLB Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have my PC set up on my Plasma, so I just switch inputs between the two regionals I get on Dish Network and MLB.tv. Love seat with a cold one in tow. :up

Everyone should ditch using a computer at a desk unless they really want to. I have a regular computer monitor on the right side of the room on a desk with a 20ft. DVI cable connected to the 2nd input on my graphics card.
That does make it more convenient...

The PQ through MLB.TV on the TV is not near as good as that compared to the HD feed through your provider.

we left dish for direct in january after almost 10 years so that we could get MLB & EI.

i think that 1 thing that the dish defenders might not know or remember is that charlie never offered a complete EI product, just a watered down version with fewer feeds because he (still) refuses to carry RSNs like the YES network, but that didn't stop him from charging the full price for EI.

we left dish for direct in january after almost 10 years so that we could get MLB & EI.

i think that 1 thing that the dish defenders might not know or remember is that charlie never offered a complete EI product, just a watered down version with fewer feeds because he (still) refuses to carry RSNs like the YES network, but that didn't stop him from charging the full price for EI.

i think that 1 thing that the dish basher might not know or remember is that most current Dish subs don't care. :D

If you've been following the thread, most of the rage is that MLB is tying MLBnet as gravy to the carraige of their EI package. Basically, your provider don't carry EI, you don't get MLBnet. Period. Its that simple. So if you are a Dish sub, have no interest in EI what-so-ever, but still want MLBnet, you're screwed.

...and most people want to bash Dish for making a necessary fiscally responsible decision ignoring the reasoning behind it. Oh well...

...and of course, you have way too many folks wanting to put D* on a pedestal for offering sports again, ignoring the fact they are the root cause to the problem.

Just the usual fun and games here...

my point is that charlie isn't quite the principled "looking out for the customer" type that he's portrayed to be by some of his defenders on this forum. by charging full price for an incomplete EI product, he proved he's out to squeeze every penny possible from his subscribers just like direct is. the difference is that direct is willing to spend some $ to provide a wider range of options to its subscribers. aside from EI, @ the end of the day, we're not paying substantially more for similar programming (everything vs premier) & 2 DVRs (1 HD) than we did with dish.

obviously baseball is not a huge draw to you and those who remain with dish & that's fine, we all have our own favorite types of programming.

i think that 1 thing that the dish basher might not know or remember is that most current Dish subs don't care. :D

If you've been following the thread, most of the rage is that MLB is tying MLBnet as gravy to the carraige of their EI package. Basically, your provider don't carry EI, you don't get MLBnet. Period. Its that simple. So if you are a Dish sub, have no interest in EI what-so-ever, but still want MLBnet, you're screwed.

...and most people want to bash Dish for making a necessary fiscally responsible decision ignoring the reasoning behind it. Oh well...

...and of course, you have way too many folks wanting to put D* on a pedestal for offering sports again, ignoring the fact they are the root cause to the problem.

Just the usual fun and games here...

Last edited:
my point is that charlie isn't quite the principled "looking out for the customer" type that he's portrayed to be by some of his defenders on this forum. by charging full price for an incomplete EI product, he proved he's out to squeeze every penny possible from his subscribers just like direct is. the difference is that direct is willing to spend some $ to provide a wider range of options to its subscribers. aside from EI, @ the end of the day, we're not paying substantially more for similar programming (everything vs premier) & 2 DVRs (1 HD) than we did with dish.

obviously baseball is not a huge draw to you and those who remain with dish & that's fine, we all have our own favorite types of programming.

...which is why putting EI on a pedestal isn't going to do you a whole lot of good around here...lol...

The difference is that D* has the existing sub base to support those endeavors financially, E* does not. its that simple. Everybody wants to put D* on the pedestal with EI and laud them to high heaven when they are the root cause of the problem. D* jacked the price up in a bidding war, and with E*'s current sub base they could not afford it. End of story. If you want EI, go to D* or comcast or whomever and don't look back to complain. Nobody wants to listen as evidence by other posts in this thread (and not necessarily those by me...:) )

if you're happy...great...but lets not let our love for EI or rage at E* overshadow the reality of the situation.

Exactly. I agree completely. I expressed that same opinion earlier and was shot down for my "uninformed" opinion by one individual who swears it was D*'s fault for bidding up the price.

Charlie offered an inferior version of EI and lost EI subscribers before D* tried to get exclusive rights to EI. And that's the reason E* doesn't offer EI today.

Exactly. I agree completely. I expressed that same opinion earlier and was shot down for my "uninformed" opinion by one individual who swears it was D*'s fault for bidding up the price.

Charlie offered an inferior version of EI and lost EI subscribers before D* tried to get exclusive rights to EI. And that's the reason E* doesn't offer EI today.

LOL...swing and a miss...E* could continue to offer even an abbreviated version of EI IF AND ONLY IF D* didn't jack up the price. Root cause: Directv...case in point.

...and yes, you are both arguing against historical fact with an unsubstantiated opinion based on nothing more than your love for a product...:eek: I made that perfectly clear already, and I at least appreciate you admitting it. And now you are making up things as you go along.

If you love sportspacks and thats all there is too it, than fine, you made your point, you can go into the D* threads and proclaim thy undying love with all thy brothers and sisters, otherwise I hereby accuse you of trolling this thread to bait and cause trouble.

PS...it was you who said your opinion was un-informed...not I...and you continue to prove yourself to be that...

Last edited:
Why would Dish have to pay the same price as Direct if they do offer a watered down version? It seems like Dish could work out a deal with MLB to offer a smaller package for their subs at a much reduced rate if they really wanted to.

Why would Dish have to pay the same price as Direct if they do offer a watered down version? It seems like Dish could work out a deal with MLB to offer a smaller package for their subs at a much reduced rate if they really wanted to.

I have no idea, DK...that's them two babbling...not me... ;)

Swami has no idea? I thought he knew everything...

The package has a fixed cost -- it is up to the service (E*) to negotiate with the RSN's to provide both SD and HD broadcasts to the subscribers. Dish has failed to do so with several RSN's and would therefore have to provide an inferior product to it's subscribers. Since a large number of subscribers discontinued service in the past because it was inferior (many of them went to D*), it is unlikely Charlie would be able to get many subs to sign up for EI, because the product is still inferior to that offered by other services.

Dish currently has the same situation with the NHL CI package. Although it broadcasts all the games, several are not in HD that are in HD on D* because Charlie has failed to negotiate HD rights for several RSN's. most notably MSG.

Because CI has a lower cost base, Charlie hasn't yet chosen to eliminate it as well.

The package has a fixed cost -- it is up to the service (E*) to negotiate with the RSN's to provide both SD and HD broadcasts to the subscribers. Dish has failed to do so with several RSN's and would therefore have to provide an inferior product to it's subscribers. Since a large number of subscribers discontinued service in the past because it was inferior (many of them went to D*), it is unlikely Charlie would be able to get many subs to sign up for EI, because the product is still inferior to that offered by other services.

Dish currently has the same situation with the NHL CI package. Although it broadcasts all the games, several are not in HD that are in HD on D* because Charlie has failed to negotiate HD rights for several RSN's. most notably MSG.

Because CI has a lower cost base, Charlie hasn't yet chosen to eliminate it as well.

Yup, no idea...when frogs croak, monkeys chatter, or children babble make-believe, I have no idea what they are talking about either. I am above that nonsense.

Anyway, I see you've finally realized the error of your ways and are attempting to go off topic now.

I guess you finally did your homework and can now see beyond a shadow of a doubt that D* is the root cause of the carraige cost hike and this the root cause of E* not carrying it. Since you've chosen to switch topics to broadcast quality and unrelated channel availability I can assume nothing else other than you realize you were wrong, and still feel some inane reason to keep fighting...go figure...

You know, if you do just want a fight, there is a warzone for your kind... :)

Last edited:
I'll just reiterate what I said a month ago, as I see there's been plenty of chatter on this subject. No MLB Network, when my contract expires, then I too will be gone.

This is an important channel to me. I don't care what the reasons I don't get it are. I just want it.

And, I'm sure I am not alone. Dish will feel the impact, for certain.

Are the prices for CI and LP the same on Dish and Direct?

Yup, no idea...when frogs croak, monkeys chatter, or children babble make-believe, I have no idea what they are talking about either. I am above that nonsense.

Anyway, I see you've finally realized the error of your ways and are attempting to go off topic now.

I guess you finally did your homework and can now see beyond a shadow of a doubt that D* is the root cause of the carraige cost hike and this the root cause of E* not carrying it. Since you've chosen to switch topics to broadcast quality and unrelated channel availability I can assume nothing else other than you realize you were wrong, and still feel some inane reason to keep fighting...go figure...

You know, if you do just want a fight, there is a warzone for your kind... :)

For someone who isn't looking for a fight or argument, you sure are a smart ass who seems to revel in keeping the bickering going back and forth.

Exactly...

Considering that I wasn't talking to either of you two and my comments were only directed at one poster, the burden of starting the fight seems to be yours to bear.

And I wasn't talking to you so as the other poset said, you are the one always seeming to start/continue fights.