Any use for a 942?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I came across my 942 during my last move, and got to thinking. Is there any use for it as a Dish Receiver? My parent's jumped into an HDTV at Christmas and are still using their 301. They would never use the DVR features, and I know the HD is in MPEG 4, but if I could use the 942 as a dual tuner (feeding second TV) SD receiver with OTA HD, I'd be happy.

Miner

It can't hurt to try, but I doubt you will get a 722 for free.

I had the 921 and when everything switched to mpeg 4 they sent me a 722 for free. The difference between my situation and yours is that it was an active receiver on my account.

Remember the 921 (942 too?) is MPEG-2 and thus could work OTA but all Dish HD and Eastern Arc SD is MPEG-4 and thus not useable. I got the 722 "replacement" and didn't return the 921 for $10 but I have to pay $17/month now on top of the original $900+. I still haven't tested for most of 2 years.
-Ken

It does have a good hard disk drive. Maybe I'll pull it out and use it with an external case as another drive for my 622.
Thank goodness I only paid $125 (used) for it. I did get 2+ years of service out of it.
I'll put it in my collection of Dish Receivers, 4000, 811, 942.

hard drive from a 942 won't spin up attached to a computer unless you have better luck than I did at flashing the drive firmware or whatever that useless bootcd I downloaded didn't do.

942 does still make a pretty good OTA DVR though, especially if you have a dish pointed at wherever your locals come from so you get some guide data.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)