Any Value?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I hear Charlie is up to his old tricks again possibly dumping ESPN on Dish Network. This will sit well with the sports fans.
I guess you didnt read the whole article that ESPN & Dish are in a long term agreement. PLus there is no way any provider would dump ESPN.

I guess you've sold me to run my dozer over this HD reciever, cancel my H2H subscription & go with Direct.

If you want to take your HDD 200 and toss it out a window I could care less. Cancel H2H no skin off my teeth. Get the biggest package Direct has with all the toys and pay $250 or more a month if thats your prerogative. It don't effect me one way or another. I will keep doing what I do and you can bow to the pizza savior if that's your thing. It's not mine, we all do what we want in the end anyway no matter what anyone says.

Lets see $250 x 12 = $3000 a year for pizza over compressed programming with toys. I don't know... I could do a lot for my big dish hobby and have quite a bit left over for that 3k a year.

$250 a month? Boy lets get a little more realistic here.....a good package with Directv is lets say $70 with tax

but then again you bash any service that isnt a 1DTV (which you've even proven beyond a shadow of a doubt elsewhere)

I guess you didnt read the whole article that ESPN & Dish are in a long term agreement. PLus there is no way any provider would dump ESPN.

They may not dump them but people are going to cry like mad as they keep increasing the monthly subscription fees. You know Dish and Direct won't eat those costs like SRL did this year when Motorola added new fee's. Its just a matter of time that people will learn to do without that high priced programming except the die hards.

They may not dump them but people are going to cry like mad as they keep increasing the monthly subscription fees.
again both companies have long term deals with ESPN so if it happens in 3 years, 4 years etc I'm not worried about it yet :)

You know Dish and Direct won't eat those costs like SRL did this year when Motorola added new fee's.

um didnt they raise their rates this year too? ;)

$250 a month? Boy lets get a little more realistic here.....a good package with Directv is lets say $70 with tax

but then again you bash any service that isnt a 1DTV (which you've even proven beyond a shadow of a doubt elsewhere)

70 bucks gets you choice extra nothing else. No NFL Sunday Ticket, RSN's , Center Ice, whole house DVR's, multiple receivers etc. It's a bit more for all the channels with toys. I'm sure Direct will also be cracking that $70.00 a month figure next February with there annual price increase maybe $75.00?

BTW Ice the 4DTV that you call 1DTV is actually a 3DTV now. The only thing it don't do is VC-2 subs. 4DTV stands for DC-2, Analog, VC-2. and anything ITC. A 410 is the only system locked for DC-2 subs only and a so called 1DTV.

Why not just make the best of both systems and fill in the blanks of the more expensive packages from the small dish providers and supplement them with the alacarte or Pick10 channels from H2H and stop this endless bashing?

70 bucks gets you choice extra nothing else. No NFL Sunday Ticket,
included for new subs
you get your local one.....most folks thats all they want :)
Center Ice, whole house DVR's, multiple receivers etc.
anything else can be added but those are optional. It all depends on what a customer wants.

And the 1st year there are discounts too.....so if someone wants programming not available on other platforms why not check out DBS?

And I am fully aware of what it means too. But I figure if you knock DBS and call it different I feel we can call that different too :)

but then again you bash any service that isnt a 1DTV (which you've even proven beyond a

shadow of a doubt elsewhere)

Yeah that sounds about right. I spend the same amount with Dish as I used to with NPS and get a lot more quantity & quality plus better treatment for sure. Spend $250.00 per month with dish I guess I could talk to them about that but it might be difficult to do.

I hear a lot of complaints about HD and could anyone enumerate how many services actually do it? I look at a lot of stuff called 1080P & 720P which look worse than 240i LDTV. This is from a lot of different sources on a lot of different providers. So who do
any of you think is a true HD Program source based on actual picture quality. Anyone?:rolleyes:

...So who do any of you think is a true HD Program source based on actual picture quality. Anyone?:rolleyes:

Sports wildfeeds & Bluray. I've often watched 720p football wildfeeds and wondered why 1080i or 1080p would ever be needed. Of course, since my main room tv is an SD-CRT, I have to admire this picQ on a wall mounted HDTV in another room.

There were some DCII megapipe HD running FP quite a while back. I was really looking foreward to seeing what that looked like. But the HDD-1000 I bought didn't work. Since I've never had an HDD-200 on the consumer box either... I've never witnessed DCII HD (darn it).

I still have the OSU vs. Georgia football game (from a wildfeed) on my HTPC's hard drive from two years ago... since the good guys won, lol. It takes up right around 65 gigabytes of hard drive space.

ESPN-HD on Charlie looks pretty good too, but it doesn't compare to any 720p wildfeeds that you may be lucky enough to watch. :)

Cheers

Lets see $250 x 12 = $3000 a year for pizza over compressed programming with toys. I don't know... I could do a lot for my big dish hobby and have quite a bit left over for that 3k a year.

I have never yet been quoted it will cost me $250.00/mo by any satellite or cable company & personally don't know anybody, not friends, neighbors or family that pay that much. In fact, I personally don't know anybody who pays much over a $85.00/mo. If you pay $250.00/month, I'd say you probably asked for it.

Yeah that sounds about right. I spend the same amount with Dish as I used to with NPS and get a lot more quantity & quality plus better treatment for sure. Spend $250.00 per month with dish I guess I could talk to them about that but it might be difficult to do.

I hear a lot of complaints about HD and could anyone enumerate how many services actually do it? I look at a lot of stuff called 1080P & 720P which look worse than 240i LDTV. This is from a lot of different sources on a lot of different providers. So who do
any of you think is a true HD Program source based on actual picture quality. Anyone?:rolleyes:

I just got home a short time ago from getting things together for a project which included stopping by a place I probably shouldn't say here. I got the part I was looking for & again looked at his Direct TV HD srt-up, all the way from the dish to the receiver & saw no tricks, no amps, just a straight shot to the receiver. I believe he was watching History but not 100% sure. Since I don't believe that I'm really dumb, his high def picture looked darn good. I always thought the higher the number, the better the picture. So if this was 240i, than I want it because it fills the entire screen & looks considerably sharper & clearer than H2H. It comes close to HD quality on my OpenBox at 1080i.

I do plan on keeping my high def decoder. Not with the hopes that DCII will someday return to avenge all small dishes but because I might want to display it as a piece of antique memorabilia. To show my grand kids what a monstrous, bulky piece of electronic equipment with wires & cords hanging all around, that grandpa used to receive HD.

you get your local one.....most folks thats all they want :)

No I don't that went away when I went to year two and I downgraded to family. Family gives me 18 basic cable channels the rest is fillers and out of those 18 I watch maybe 4 or 5, anything that doubles on H2H I will watch on Hits because the picture is better and it works in the rain.

$70 a month for me is way too much to pay for any tv service even c band. I really don't miss the 2 extra channels I watched occasionally when I had choicextra vs family. Actually even the channels I got direct for are going down hill fast this year. So I don't think I'll even miss them when I can give Direct the axe. Shaw has a few channels I would like and that may be my next move when the contract with Direct ends. C band I'll always have no matter what.

My biggest problem lately is trying to watch Direct after watching HD masters on the Coolsat. It take me a good week to start to accept the picture quality Direct puts out. Direct looks like I'm watching tv through plastic wrap I swear.

No I don't that went away when I went to year two and I downgraded to family.
I'm not including family in the conversation. I mentioned Choice or Choice Xtra to which you commented on the "add ons".....

$70 a month for me is way too much to pay for any tv service even c band.
I guess I'm lucky because my Directv bill isnt $70...its way less. I even picked up a Dish system recently for "moved" locals and the Welcome Pack....well worth the $15 (well not right now as the 129 satellite there are issues) ;)

I really don't miss the 2 extra channels I watched occasionally when I had choicextra vs family.
heh I wish I only had 2 channels I'd miss if I did that.

My biggest problem lately is trying to watch Direct after watching HD masters on the Coolsat. It take me a good week to start to accept the picture quality Direct puts out. Direct looks like I'm watching tv through plastic wrap I swear.
apples to oranges there. Directv SD (which I will admit some channels look like hell) against HD

I

apples to oranges there. Directv SD (which I will admit some channels look like hell) against HD

Ya but I can watch H2H and thats SD after the Coolsat HD. They don't blur the picture like Direct does. H2H has a pop to it, Direct don't. But when you take a master signal compress the luminance to 480 x480 then take the RGB component and compress it to like 200 x 200 then try to recreate a 640 x 480 picture it looks like hell. Also Direct has a weird green color push to the color temp in their picture. H2H or any other source I feed my tv's don't shift the color temp. And its not the D 12, the D 11 did it too. That I best is from them messing with the RGB component during compression. H2H don't mess with the RGB and keeps the full 640 x 480 resolution. Thats why it looks better and acceptable even after watching HD. Hell my Magnavox OTA converter box looks way better than Direct even on the Weigel mux that has 4 SD channels and one HD in it where Me, Me too, and This are in.

I just got home a short time ago from getting things together for a project which included stopping by a place I probably shouldn't say here. I got the part I was looking for & again looked at his Direct TV HD srt-up, all the way from the dish to the receiver & saw no tricks, no amps, just a straight shot to the receiver. I believe he was watching History but not 100% sure. Since I don't believe that I'm really dumb, his high def picture looked darn good. I always thought the higher the number, the better the picture. So if this was 240i, than I want it because it fills the entire screen & looks considerably sharper & clearer than H2H. It comes close to HD quality on my OpenBox at 1080i.

If you don't have Direct you need to experience it in your own home on your own tv for extended periods of time. You will see shortcomings you may not see in a short viewing time on someone else's tv. I saw Directs HD the day I bought my HD set. It was hooked to the floor model. I wasn't all that impressed. I watched different Direct HD channels for a couple hours while I talked with the salesman and made the deal. I actually bought that floor model (got a great deal) and brought it home and hooked it up to my 4DTV S video (Direct was fed with component at the store) and turned on a master DC-2 channel ITC that night. It blew the doors in on what I saw on that same tv earlier that day from Directs HD lite.

But like I said do the pizza dirty deed and experience it yourself, just remember one thing. You are locked into it for 2 years. And if you try to screw Direct by not giving them the terms of the contract you sign. They will make your life and credit rating a living hell. You can't take it for a week to try it then back out if it's not what you expect. That move will cost you $440.00 Your contract starts when the installer leaves and you sign job completion thats that.

The second shock happens when your teaser rate is up and you bill skyrockets for year two. You can either pay it or get the family package with 18 cable channels in it for the same price you paid for that big ChoiceXtra package the first year. Trust me on this, been there done that. I thought pizza was going to be great too. Boy was I proven wrong.

Last edited:
tvropro said:
70 bucks gets you choice extra nothing else. No NFL Sunday Ticket, RSN's , Center Ice, whole house DVR's, multiple receivers etc. It's a bit more for all the channels with toys. I'm sure Direct will also be cracking that $70.00 a month figure next February with there annual price increase maybe $75.00?

BTW Ice the 4DTV that you call 1DTV is actually a 3DTV now. The only thing it don't do is VC-2 subs. 4DTV stands for DC-2, Analog, VC-2. and anything ITC. A 410 is the only system locked for DC-2 subs only and a so called 1DTV.

Actually, you can get everything for a lot less than $250. I have two HR24's, one H25, Platinum package, MRV, HD access, HD Xtra and the protection plan. It runs about $140 per month.

$140 a month I thought that was a car payment :eek: I would never pay that let alone $70 a month. But I come from C band ala cart days at $3.85 for 3 months back in the day.

But even 140 X 12 = $1680.00 a year too rich for my blood.

If you don't have Direct you need to experience it in your own home on your own tv for extended periods of time. You will see shortcomings you may not see in a short viewing time on someone else's tv. I saw Directs HD the day I bought my HD set. It was hooked to the floor model. I wasn't all that impressed. I watched different Direct HD channels for a couple hours while I talked with the salesman and made the deal. I actually bought that floor model (got a great deal) and brought it home and hooked it up to my 4DTV S video (Direct was fed with component at the store) and turned on a master DC-2 channel ITC that night. It blew the doors in on what I saw on that same tv earlier that day from Directs HD lite.

But like I said do the pizza dirty deed and experience it yourself, just remember one thing. You are locked into it for 2 years. And if you try to screw Direct by not giving them the terms of the contract you sign. They will make your life and credit rating a living hell. You can't take it for a week to try it then back out if it's not what you expect. That move will cost you $440.00 Your contract starts when the installer leaves and you sign job completion thats that.

The second shock happens when your teaser rate is up and you bill skyrockets for year two. You can either pay it or get the family package with 18 cable channels in it for the same price you paid for that big ChoiceXtra package the first year. Trust me on this, been there done that. I thought pizza was going to be great too. Boy was I proven wrong.

My High Def Decoder for the big dish was one of the stupidest purchases for a satellite system of all time. If I were to compare that purchase to Direct, it would still remain the #1 stupidest choices. This thing is useless. I don't watch PBS as a rule & I have no inside information or the intelligence to get the other stuff you mentioned so I will keep it as a great 1 time hit conversation piece.
As far as Direct TV goes, I was told there are very few issues. My family & friends all seem to be OK with what they have. You make a lot of good points. I don't know if they all outway the good points the small dish has though. Since I've started subscribing to H2H, the price has gone up & we lost a channel.
I lost my subscription package one weekend & had to wait all labor day weekend to get any help because my webSAMS account was locked for the second time. The first time I was locked out was in the evening & SRL was closed.

My High Def Decoder for the big dish was one of the stupidest purchases for a satellite system of all time. If I were to compare that purchase to Direct, it would still remain the #1 stupidest choices. This thing is useless. I don't watch PBS as a rule & I have no inside information or the intelligence to get the other stuff you mentioned so I will keep it as a great 1 time hit conversation piece.
As far as Direct TV goes, I was told there are very few issues. My family & friends all seem to be OK with what they have. You make a lot of good points. I don't know if they all outway the good points the small dish has though. Since I've started subscribing to H2H, the price has gone up & we lost a channel.
I lost my subscription package one weekend & had to wait all labor day weekend to get any help because my webSAMS account was locked for the second time. The first time I was locked out was in the evening & SRL was closed.

If you do go DBS. Get the HD. Tvropro didn't and thats probally one of the reasons he hates it so much. Or he was afraid he might of liked it better than H2H! I don't know!:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts