Any warnings about installers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigpro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Well, though I've posted quite a bit, it won't be until tomorrow that the installers come-- finally.
To you grizzled veterans out there, any traps or bogus charges I should keep an eye open for with my installer? I know that, though the installation is "free", nothing really is and expect them to come up with a few nickle-and-dime charges here and there. That's to be expected, but want to know if there's anything bogus to look for.
BTW, the place I'm in is wired for cable in three rooms-- I'm going to ask him to add an outlet in a fourth room. I only bought two receivers but would like one of them to be 'mirrored' to three rooms altogether (we hardly ever go in those rooms but I want something to be on when the TV's turned on-- but not worth an extra 5 bucks a month to get separate programming).
Thanks in advance.

I had OTA installation included with my D* charge, however the shady installer tried to get $50 from my wife to put it up. He told her it was a "steal" and he was giving her a discounted rate. Luckily she called me at work and I talked to him. I thought it was taken care of, but I got home to find no OTA antenna installed. Besides that, they did a hack job and left wires hanging off the edge of the roof.

A call to a CSR confirmed that the OTA was to be included, and that the installation was not "satisfactory". They sent the same company, and same kid out next week to install the OTA, and fix the wires. He grumbled to my wife that he wasn't getting paid for it though.

By OTA I meant off-air antenna.....don't know where OTA came from. I'm new..

Normally Directv does charge $50 for an off air antenna install. OTA means Over The Air or off air antenna.

We've had two free D* installs. One for the initial install and one for our HD upgrade. Both went pretty well, and no extra charges were included anywhere. The 2nd, included the OTA install .(I did move the Antenna myself the following weekend because it was in an unsatisfactory position to get all channels), but no problems with hidden charges.

install fees

bigpro said:
BTW, the place I'm in is wired for cable in three rooms-- I'm going to ask him to add an outlet in a fourth room. I only bought two receivers but would like one of them to be 'mirrored' to three rooms altogether (we hardly ever go in those rooms but I want something to be on when the TV's turned on-- but not worth an extra 5 bucks a month to get separate programming).

No bogus charges, but you are going to pay for getting more than 1 tv hooked up to each receiver. The "free" install includes hooking up 1 TV, and 1 VCR or DVD player (as long as the connections are available) to each receiver purchased. They charge a " slave " fee for each additional tv. When I had my last install the installer cut me a deal and hooked up 3 tvs to 1 receiver and only charged 1 slave fee of $55. Now that I know how they are hooked up, it's not worth it. I would rather have spent $4 for a cable splitter and done it myself. If you can get the receivers for free, my suggestion would be to have him install them and activate them... then call to disconnect and reconnect them when you want to use them.

Jason ---The $50 charge for OTA installation was already on the invoice.....

If that was the case then all that needed to be done was show that part of your invoice to the installer. Then he can't say anything.

Hi Jason,

That was done. I was working over the phone. My fiancee on site. She showed him the invoice. I talked to him on the phone, and went over the invoice with him. He said "alright, I'll take care of it", but it just wasn't done. He was just a poor installer. Not D* fault.

bigpro said:
Well, though I've posted quite a bit, it won't be until tomorrow that the installers come-- finally.
To you grizzled veterans out there, any traps or bogus charges I should keep an eye open for with my installer?

If you've got specific work items in-mind, talk it over with them first and don't pay if it isn't done to your satisfaction. For instance, if you ask for the dish to be in a particular spot on your roof, make him explain whether it can be done before he starts.

If you want specific equipment, don't let him start if he doesn't have it.

In 2004, I had a problem with rain-fade. I specifically wanted to replace a Phase III dish with a triple-LNB GainMaster, and discussed it with a supposedly "reputable" firm. The gentelman proceeded to send his "expert" installer without any GainMaster. When I called he said: "it's hard to aim and most customers don't need it. We can use a Square-Shooter instead for OTA HD". The Square-Shooter did not work (I expected that). Then he charged me $220 to re-aim my Phase III dish (without improving signal strength).

That vendor is frequently-praised on this site, which makes me laugh. I won't ever work with him again and cannot give a recommendation.

Anybody wanting more details must ask in a PM, I won't post his name on the forum.

The point here: don't pay if they don't do exactly what you ask without explaining BEFORE they start.

Make sure they put a drip loop in the coax run where needed, this is in their official dtv-insaller manual! (found here: http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/12429_00_AntennaManual_1D.pdf)

Most will just 'forget' to do it, it should not cost you anything extra.

Make sure they install a proper ground block, it would be wise to buy a outdoor weather-proof box, and pre install it (try to make sure it's mounted next to a ground, like a cold water pipe or a grounded electrical outlet, they can run a wire from the block to a ground, but the manual states this wire should be as short as possible, like inches, and insist the ground block/multiswitch (if a multiswitch is needed) are installed in the weather-proof box you installed.

Make sure they use rubber boots on all coax connections outside (even if it IS in a weather-proof box), they should do this without even asking, but just in case.

Or skip the box and put the groundblock/multiswitch indoors which may or may not cost you extra.

And if you have a clear view of the SW sky with great LOS, do not let him leave until the signals average in the mid 90s or so. There is a box you have to check to say that you are satisfied with the install and sign and initial it, if you aren't getting good 90s signals on at least 90% of all the xponders (the other 10% should average around 88), don't let him go or sign anything until he does.

dtv says signal strength of 70 or better, but if you can get 70 you can get 95. Im an installer for dtv I leave no signal below 93. the higher the sig the less rain fade you have and have them put feed through bushings and silicone on the holes if your going through the wall

If you have them fish cables through a wall, run cable through more than one wall, more than 150' of rg6 cable, or mounting on a pole unless needed for line of sight this is extra work and the installer deserves compensation if you are not sure call dtv 1-800-531-5000

projectorsrule said:
So how did it go bigpro?

Funny you should ask (thanks for asking, by the way). Turns out that Tuesday was the only day in the last month that it rained nonstop in Baltimore-- from Monday night to Tuesday night. I took the afternoon off work and everything just for the guy to show up and say that he can't install on the roof in the rain (which is completely understandable, though disappointing nonetheless). Still watching rabbit ears on the WEGA. My next appointment is Saturday. Wish me luck....

damaged said:
Saturday came and went, did you have any luck?
It went great, everything worked out perfect. The reason I haven't been on the boards is because I've been busy watching tv!
In fact, the worst thing is the guy connected the S-video unbeknownst to me, and I was still blown away by the HDTV. Imagine my glee when I got the hdmi connected!
Thanks to everyone for the input. It really helped.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)