any way to block static shock from an fta box, and other issues...?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
I keep having a slightly major problem with my reciever. It keeps loosing signal for some reason or the other. If I leave the reciever sitting on g10r overnight, either on or off, it seems like it'll lose all signal the next morning, and then requires a flip of the switch to make it work, and that's a 50/50 shot - sometimes it works, sometimes not... The weird thing is that when I reach around to flip the switch on back I'm almost always getting shocked with static, and can see a slight spark as it happens. It's probably due to the weather and static in my clothes or something even though we use fabric softener sheets in the dryer... but it's starting to get annoying. Is it possible that the static is somehow ruining the receiver, and/or is there any way to fix the problem of losing signal. At first I thought the signal loss was due to wind, and went out a few days back and readjusted lnb. That helped a while, but this loss of signal thing keeps happening. I think the satellite is probably right on the arc, but something with the wiring is messed up? Is it possible that a blown switch could cause this sort of issue? I think the switch should be ok, but maybe I'm wrong?

That’s not good that you keep getting a shock when you turn off the receiver. It almost sounds like a bad ground somewhere (maybe electrical) because you shouldn’t lose signal. I have one box that for some reason, doesn’t like it when it’s powered up on a channel not on Diseqc 1. If I hit channel up or down then it works fine (it’s the old Viacast 2000).

Have you tried to plug the box into another circuit in the house and see if that solves it? Because if you’re on a satellite when you shut the box off, it should be on the same satellite and should have signal when you power it on (unless you were on a feed at the time and now its off the air) :D

no, it's not on feeds that I'm focussing on. This is just the normal stuff on g10r or some other 24/7. I'm going to fiddle a bit more. Right now, it's plugged in to a surge protector. I'm hoping the receiver itself doesn't need reapair... will try some other plugins in the area later and see what happens.

Its been really cold and dry here where we live and static electricity abounds. Best thing to do is increase the humidity in your house. Get a humidifier. As long as you are not getting condensation on the windows you should be fine. No idea if this is causing the problems with your receiver, but I can tell you that static is causing problems with my home computer and a battery charger (sophisticated digital peak nimh charger) that kicks out every time I go near it. The air is so dry.

We have a humidifier in the bedroom, which isn't too far from the living room. Maybe I need to crank it up a bit.

Very strange.

Only thing I can think of is to check all coax connections for water, ice, looseness, etc. I assume you have a ground block on the coax between the LNB/motor and receiver, I'd even check that (thought that helped reduce/eliminate static build-up).

Is it static electricity going to ground from you thru your receiver? If it is, try grounding yourself before touching the receiver. Otherwise, any liquid fabric softener, diluted 50/50 with water, sprayed (with an spray bottle) over the carpet will lessen the problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)