Any way to get new customer pricing? If not, any reason not to switch to DTV?

joshsquall

Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
The removal of AMC has made me re-evaluate my TV watching needs and I've realized that I'm not getting $100/month+ value for the amount of stuff I watch, especially with the removal of Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels, Mad Men, and The Walking Dead. Reviewing the Dish Network site, I see that new customers can get pretty attractive pricing (ex. $30/month off for 12 months). Is there anyway for me to get that pricing as an existing out-of-contract subscriber?

If I can't get a significantly lower price, I think I may be ready to switch to DirecTV. The whole-home DVR is very attractive to me (with 3 extra HD receivers) and it seems that I would save money both in upfront costs (vs. switching to Hopper/Joeys) and in monthly costs (due to pretty substantial discounts for 24 months). I would also really enjoy Sunday Ticket. Is there any reason to avoid DirecTV?

With the first year pricing you would get a lower price. Just make sure to see they have the programming you would want. There are some national hd channels that direct does not have in HD if that's a factor for you

if you live in a location with alot of rain this could be an issue as dtv uses a KA band dish for HD channels that can offer more hd then dish if they ever add them but when heavy clouds or rain hd will be gone or breaking up , at that time most SD channels would be fine as they use the same type of signal that dish uses for SD/HD programing.

For the deal dish will look at your history and see if its worth keeping you just for a year or letting you filp around every 2 years for a better deal.

Direct TV would, by far, be my next choice to Dish if I were looking. So no, no reason to avoid them at all. You are correct the first two years Dish won't match what a new customer gets going to Direct TV. Nor does Direct match what Dish would give. If money is the number 1 thing. If Direct TV has most of the channels you want in HD no reason not to save the money. But I warn not to switch over just a channel, there were posts here of people saying they would go to Uverse, at this time Uverse dropped AMC also so.......

I'd expect D* to drop AMC also, or get one heck of a deal.

We're assuming the OP is not in a FiOS area. If you are, that's the one to look at if you leave Dish.

navychop said:
I'd expect D* to drop AMC also, or get one heck of a deal.

We're assuming the OP is not in a FiOS area. If you are, that's the one to look at if you leave Dish.

I agree. DirecTV does drop channels just like any other provider. G4 and Lifetime Real Women were two channels that were dropped from DirecTV that are currently not available.

If they do not drop AMC, it probably will be due to quite a deal especially with the Dish and AT&T disputes. AMC needs someone to carry it.

I agree. DirecTV does drop channels just like any other provider. G4 and Lifetime Real Women were two channels that were dropped from DirecTV that are currently not available.

If they do not drop AMC, it probably will be due to quite a deal especially with the Dish and AT&T disputes. AMC needs someone to carry it.

Would it then be called AMC Ticket :)

The removal of AMC has made me re-evaluate my TV watching needs and I've realized that I'm not getting $100/month+ value for the amount of stuff I watch, especially with the removal of Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels, Mad Men, and The Walking Dead. Reviewing the Dish Network site, I see that new customers can get pretty attractive pricing (ex. $30/month off for 12 months). Is there anyway for me to get that pricing as an existing out-of-contract subscriber?

It will be just like the local station disputes. AMC will see a much larger reduction in ad revenues than they would have realized in increased fees collected to carry the channels. Eventually AMC will come crawling on their knees begging to come back at a much more reasonable rate. U-verse taking a stand as well as Dish this time will only prove the point much more quickly.

Direct TV would, by far, be my next choice to Dish if I were looking. So no, no reason to avoid them at all. You are correct the first two years Dish won't match what a new customer gets going to Direct TV. Nor does Direct match what Dish would give. If money is the number 1 thing. If Direct TV has most of the channels you want in HD no reason not to save the money. But I warn not to switch over just a channel, there were posts here of people saying they would go to Uverse, at this time Uverse dropped AMC also so.......

I am mostly with you here. However, according to an article someone posted in the AMC thread Uverse didn't drop AMC. They came to an agreement.

Edit: According to another article I just read on the Wall Street Journal online it isn't a done deal yet. The two sides have just agreed not to remove the channels while they negotiate until a new contract is made. I wish it worked that way more often.

Directv is a very good service & is not given the credit it deserves by many on this mostly dish site. At least for the length of your contract you can expect a discount, their new customer promos carry over into the 2nd year at this time. Dish & Directv typically only roll out the red carpet for "new" customers. As I've said before why not take advantage of these deals every 2+ years, you have nothing to lose except the the money in your wallet by being a loyal customer to 1 provider.

Directv is a very good service & is not given the credit it deserves by many on this mostly dish site. At least for the length of your contract you can expect a discount, their new customer promos carry over into the 2nd year at this time. Dish & Directv typically only roll out the red carpet for "new" customers. As I've said before why not take advantage of these deals every 2+ years, you have nothing to lose except the the money in your wallet by being a loyal customer to 1 provider.

+1 same here :)

Call cust svc and ask to speak with loyalty. If anyone will do new cust pricing they will. It seems foolish to leave over one channel but thats your call.

Switching to Directv for one HD channel, AMC, for $80+ a month isn't worth it to me; it may be to others. Consider the other channel offerings. While some say the HD on Directv is clearer, many of their SD channels are not as clear as the same channel on DISH for whatever reason. I think this HD list is accurate. If it isn't I'm sure I'll be so advised.

DISH HAS:

BBC AMERICA
BLOOMBERG
CENTRIC
COOKING
DIY (DO IT YOURSELF)
EPIX 1
EPIX 2
EPIX 3
G4
GALAVISION
GAME SHOW NETWORK
H2
HISTORY iNTERNATIONAL
HLN (HEADLINE NEWS NETWORK)
INDIEPLEX
INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY
LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK
LOGO
MAV TV
NAT GEO WILD
NFL RED ZONE
OPRAH WINFREY NETWORK
PIXL
RETROPLEX
RFD TV
SPORTSMAN
STYLE
TCM (TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES)
THE HUB
VERIA

DIRECTV HAS:

ABC FAMILY
DISNEY E
DISNEY XD
ESPN NEWS
ESPU
FOX SOCCER PLUS
FUEL
GOL TV
MEGA
SHORTS
SMITHSONIAN

I know I will get razzed on this because it's soccer and I know many don't care for it but I like that with dish fox soccer network is in a regular pack and not sports pack as it is I believe it is with direct. I can turn off sports pack during the year so then I can get the soccer games

Last edited:
DirecTV has the Red Zone channel, it's just their version of it. But still very similar.

Correct, you have to ask and hope you can "discuss" getting as its tied to sunday ticket. When I had Directv in the past I was able to get it, but I know its not a given. Though these days it might be

Dtv sucks IMO . Had them a little over a year. 2nd year comes around and I try to get my bill lowered and they wouldn't budge . I finally cancelled months later and after I cancelled I got a call offering me new customer pricing. Already had dish installed. Dish is better overall. Better DVr, lower prices and great service .

Correct, you have to ask and hope you can "discuss" getting as its tied to sunday ticket. When I had Directv in the past I was able to get it, but I know its not a given. Though these days it might be
Isn't the Red Zone on DISH also tied to a sports package, though? Is there any way to get it solely (I ask because I'm interested!)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)