Any way to get new customer pricing? If not, any reason not to switch to DTV?

The NFL RED ZONE can be had for the $9 sports pack price on DISH. To get it on Direct TV you have to have the whole Sunday package. Like with anything there may be exceptions but reading the posts over time, I don't see much chance. As noted above a post, perhaps it is easier now that I would not know,

That list is pretty much correct, you can add AMC to Direct TV. :)

Last edited:
It certainly is worth consideration if you do not mind reevaluating again in a year or so when the Direct monthly goes to the normal rate. Also consider that you may not get a DVR on all Direct receivers. That was a deal breaker for me. No telling in a year or two where Direct, Dish, Uverse, etc will be with costs, channels and equipment. Also, in some cases there is a thirty day guaranty where you can cancel with no penalty. I tried Uverse a while back and kept Dish at the same time. I am glad I did since Uverse did not meet my needs at that time. I am pretty close to 100 percent happy with Dish but will consider a move when my contract is up. The new customer discounts are attractive.

I switched to Dish 8 months ago after 4 years with Directv. One thing that disappointed me with Dish was that I had to subscribe to the Sports Pack to get the Big 10 Network and I thought the website was a little misleading on their channel lineups. If you're a sports fan the D* premiere pkg also has RSNs in HD included, so it's costing me $9.00 more on Dish, which I wouldn't mind except for the fact that I live in the Philly RSN area and get nothing.

So even without AMC the old familiar line still applies - If you like sports go with D* or if you like more basic HD stay with E*

I switched to Dish 8 months ago after 4 years with Directv. One thing that disappointed me with Dish was that I had to subscribe to the Sports Pack to get the Big 10 Network and I thought the website was a little misleading on their channel lineups. If you're a sports fan the D* premiere pkg also has RSNs in HD included, so it's costing me $9.00 more on Dish, which I wouldn't mind except for the fact that I live in the Philly RSN area and get nothing.

So even without AMC the old familiar line still applies - If you like sports go with D* or if you like more basic HD stay with E*

If you're in a Big Ten state all you need to do is subscribe to the Top 120 plus and it's included.

The removal of AMC has made me re-evaluate my TV watching needs and I've realized that I'm not getting $100/month+ value for the amount of stuff I watch, especially with the removal of Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels, Mad Men, and The Walking Dead. Reviewing the Dish Network site, I see that new customers can get pretty attractive pricing (ex. $30/month off for 12 months). Is there anyway for me to get that pricing as an existing out-of-contract subscriber?
You want to get $30 off a month for programming?! Good luck with that!

However, if you are an existing out-of-contract subscriber, you may be eligible for a good deal on the Hopper.

If I can't get a significantly lower price, I think I may be ready to switch to DirecTV. The whole-home DVR is very attractive to me (with 3 extra HD receivers) and it seems that I would save money both in upfront costs (vs. switching to Hopper/Joeys) and in monthly costs (due to pretty substantial discounts for 24 months). I would also really enjoy Sunday Ticket. Is there any reason to avoid DirecTV?
It'd depend on what you'd be comfortable paying. If you want to switch every other year to save money, then so be it, but that may be the only reason you'd be saving at DirecTV. DirecTV is more expensive for programming, but is less expensive equipment wise as you add more boxes. Directv's service, at least back when I had them, was just fine, so little to worry about there. If you worry about losing channels, Directv has lost fewer, but has also added fewer.

As always YMMV, so see what they can offer, then go to Dish and ask them to at least try to meet you halfway.

Really? They don't offer it to the entire state? If that's true then you're stuck paying the $9 for the multi-sports pack. I think the soprt pack is actually a pretty good deal. I live in Iowa which gets BTN but I still pay for the sports pack to get all the other regional channels for baseball and college football.

Really? They don't offer it to the entire state? If that's true then you're stuck paying the $9 for the multi-sports pack. I think the soprt pack is actually a pretty good deal. I live in Iowa which gets BTN but I still pay for the sports pack to get all the other regional channels for baseball and college football.

This is what I get when I plug in my zip code on BTN.com:

Good news! DISH Network subscribers within the Big Ten’s nine state footprint with America’s Top 120 Plus and above get BTN on channel 439, and b>BTN HD is available on channel 9500 to DISH HD subscribers. Subscribers outside the nine Big Ten states, or who are in the Louisville or Philadelphia area, must subscribe to DISH’s Multi-Sport package to receive BTN. Please call DISH Network at 1-800-333-DISH for details.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)