Any way to get new subscriber discounts over their normal offers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Icedog86

Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
I currently subscribe to Comcast and have the DVR and HD package. I'm thinking of switching to D* only because Comcast refuses to carry our secondary RSN, Fox Sports Pittsburgh, and I can't watch my favorite hockey and baseball teams even with Center Ice and Extra Innings. D* gives us FSN Pittsburgh in my market.

My question is this -- will D* deal at all with new subscribers on hardware and/or length of contract? I have a hard time paying $400 and signing up for 2 years to get a HD DVR when Comcast will do the same for $10/month with no contract. I keep reading about people calling retention, but will they do anything for new customers? Any strategies to recommend? Thanks.

ice dog,

you WANT to watch the PIRATES and the PENGUINS????????

dude, this is the steel city, ROETHLISBURGH< BLITZBURGH.

pirates and penguins...haha...hahaha....hahahahahha

Hey, I love watching the Steelers, but I don't need FSN Pittsburgh for that. Local TV carries most of those games. I'm just looking for the trifecta. :)

no way on length of contract....not sure about deals up front...never hurts to call and ask..probably could get some free premiums or money off a few months.

the old days of el cheapo tivos are gone though ....

you could buy one for 398 at newegg and at least 'own' instead of leasing

Thanks for the replies. I have to wonder about D*'s strategy in light of cable renting them cheaply and the phone companies rushing to offer TV service. I guess they figure they can get away with charging higher prices since their product is different than all the rest (i.e. Sunday Ticket, etc).

Unless you get bored easily and like to make a change change just for change or are planning on leaving the country, I wouldn't be too concerned about a two-year commitment. I've never understood why some people get so worked up on this issue. They won't even give a second thought to financing their car for five or even six years, but will really get upset over this.

The reason I care about the 2 year commitment is FIOS TV is coming to my area some time in 2007. If Comcast and Verizon are in the middle of a price war, and if FIOS offers the channels I want, I'd hate to be stuck with D*.

You can cancel your contract if you return the equipment for a fee. Read the small print. I own my equipment and can send back my receivers instead of an early termination fee. I'm not sure how it is with the fee on the lease but it may be better to pay it to get what you want now instead of later even if it cost a few bucks to do so.

I got DTV and they don't offer my RSN FSN-Pittsburgh although cable and E* offer it for free those f**king bastards. I'll keep DTV for the novelty of having ST for one year then I'll gladly pay to keep my DVR then tell them to go to hell for something better. Since you now have Comcast you may not like the picture quality on DTV. DTV's picture always varies too much and is never consitant. It ranges from crap to pretty good at times and at other times everything looks like crap. The Pens are almost done and the Sucko Buckos aren't worth a two-year contract. Wait for Fios since the Pens are just about done.

AND thats the main reason for the 2 year commitment. They want to lock in as many as they can because when the better things come and persons say I want that then they have them and they hope to keep them. D* knows whats out there and whats coming down the road and I guess I just don't understand why anyone would want to simply buy programming and say ok I will let you sell it to me and by the way I promise you 2 years for that and yeah I will pay the high cost of your equipment and yes I will be sure to let you have it back later plus I will even pay you a monthly fee on top of that.

D* pretty much flat out said that the leasing program benefits themselves, not the customer. Not in words, but actions and policies. Frankly I'm surprised that they didn't go this route years earlier.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)