Any way to get the 942 working with 1 line?

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
Just received my 942. Installer isn't coming until 12/2. I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but just want to double-check. I currently only have 1 line running to my HD tv area. Using legacy equipment. Itching to get it running, even if it's only temporary. Installer will be swapping out my hardware with Dish pro hardware.

You might be able to get it going, but unlikely.

I think they changed the software so that you can't get out of initial setup until both tuners are hooked up.

Go ahead and try it. If trouble move the feed to the other sat input - might work on one but not the other.

EDIT: Per this: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=794662&postcount=2 apparently you might be able to get it going.

I hooked mine up yesterday with one line and had no problem at all. It was a little slow in running through the setup processes, but came out working perfectly.

Here's what I did.

First went to the point the dish step. Manually ran the switch test. It looks for both. It finished showing INPUT 1 all OK and INPUT 2 having a problem. But it allowed me to exit the screen. Then I went and set up my HDTV display options and went to exit out of the menus.

At that point it went into its 5-step initialization, which took several minutes. Then it did a EPG load. After that I had my EPG with the 100, 101, and HD Demo channel all working. I then called into Dish and the tech told me that a 942 would not work with only one input. I told him it was working fine and I was viewing the HD Demo channel as I spoke to him. He was surprised. He then activated my receiver and all of my channels came in normally.

No problem.

Sounds like it'll work. I can live with 1 tuner for a week. I'll give it a shot.
Thanks for the info :)

dont24 said:
Sounds like it'll work. I can live with 1 tuner for a week. I'll give it a shot.
Thanks for the info :)
It will not behave well. You don't have much control over which tuner it tries to use at any time.

tnsprin said:
It will not behave well. You don't have much control over which tuner it tries to use at any time.
Maybe I'll just hold off until the Friday install. I assumed it would use and display the active tuner.

I used my 942 on one cable for a few days, connected to tuner 1. It always displayed tv ok, but i had issues recording, as it always tries to use tuner 2 first for dvr timers. one answer i used was to record any other porgram at the same time to force the real timer to tuner 1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts