Any way to permanently archive DishDVR data?

vampz26

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
Chicago
I've have a few sentimental shows recorded on my DVR.

1) My wife, then fiance on the David Letterman show in NYC on CBS-HD.
2) My daughters first chicago cubs game, a guy caught a foul ball right in front of us and there were are in WGN-HD! :)
3) A GalleryHD Museum tours of the Cloisters in NYC, uptown manhattan, and the Milwaukee Art Museum...two of my favorite art museums ever.

...and a few others...

obviously, those are irreplacible. I was wondering if there was a way to legally record or archive those shows in a manner that would be platform independent where I could save these recordings as keepsakes?

A Dish CSR told me I could line-out to a DVD-R, but told me not to tell anybody...I guess I blew that one. I guess I was looking for something a little more 'legit'...

Try mounting your DVR hard drive ro on a Linux box, and poke around! I believe the transport stream files are unencrypted on most channels.

If you want to save in HD, use the Hauppauge HD-PVR. It records the HD stream from your receiver's component output.

Newegg.com - Hauppauge HD PVR High Definition Personal Video Recorder 1212 USB 2.0 Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices

For SD, just connect to any DVD recorder or record the receiver's SD composite/s-video output to a PC, and then edit and burn.

I found this on newegg...

Newegg.com - Hauppauge HD PVR High Definition Personal Video Recorder 1212 USB 2.0 Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices

And immediately had one of those WTF moments...wow, I wish I would have had one of these ages ago! :) I wonder what format it saves the content in...

Have you used one or should I poke around in the gadgets forum?

THANKS!

My wife was a teacher and grad student, so for years I dumped various shows and news segments out to my Panasonic DVD Recorder. My DVD Recorder is a few years old and I really wish I had one that supported DVD-RAM and had an ATSC tuner...but such is life.

"I really wish I had one that supported DVD-RAM"

Jim,

Just curious why do you want one with DVD-RAM? I have a Panasonic DVD recorder that records to DVD-RAM, no ATSC tuner though.

It sounds like its worth at least a show...I've spent 200 bucks on worse things... :)

they do work well. I have one setup in my Sage HTPC system for viewing all channels from cable from my HD STB. These little units do real time H264 encoding of the component inputs and the picture quality is damn impressive for the price and doing it real time.

It can also be used for standalone ripping (plug any component source into it you want) and shouldnt have any issues. I need to get another one and archive my DVHS tapes to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)