Any Way to Restrict Deleting and/or Recording?

jayiw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Does anyone know of a way to have the Hopper 3 system require a password when someone goes to delete a DVR recording and/or require a password if someone tries to record something? Please tell me there is, this is driving me nuts. :(

Thanks!
Jay

No, and don't think they would add somthing to this level where it always asks for a password if the user had a setting to turn on this type of feature. What type of scenario are you envisioning where you would need this? Kids maybe?

For any accidental deletes, you have a couple of days to recover from the trash so that's kind of covered.

This is why we are getting two of the Hopper 3's at my house. I don't want to scroll through endless episodes of "The Bachelor" and I don't want my wife and daughter "accidentally" deleting my stuff to make room for their crap. This is how we keep a happy family. Cheaper than divorce!

Reactions: charlesrshell
That's the issue.... the wife keeps on deleting my stuff (even her own stuff and blaming me) and then saying she's not. I was even sitting there one night and saw her do it. Obviously she is without realizing it. And she keeps on recording things new AND reruns and denies that. It's driving me nuts.

Play hardball then. Set a passcode that only you know then go in the controls and set everything to the lowest settings so it requires a password to go to every channel. When you want to watch then you turn it off for yourself and THEY can watch YOUR shows with you. Tell them you'll unlock the gates to the TV once they agree to not do what you're telling them not to.

I'm obviously being sarcastic...but maybe you could try that for a couple of days?! Unless you wouldn't get a good night's sleep on the couch.

Good luck with all that!

20160819_154831.jpg

<For the new and reruns setting, while I sat down with my wife and showed her the do's and don't's on the new DVRs as we got them (and she's great at it now), there are times where she rushes or the Hopper freaks out and the record option gets set to new and reruns by mistake, which is a pain.>

Use folders for each family member,
Then they have to go into 'your' folder to see or watch/delete items.
And if they are going the extra step/effort to invade your folder to delete your programs, you've got bigger problems.

Play hardball then. Set a passcode that only you know then go in the controls and set everything to the lowest settings so it requires a password to go to every channel. When you want to watch then you turn it off for yourself and THEY can watch YOUR shows with you. Tell them you'll unlock the gates to the TV once they agree to not do what you're telling them not to.

I'm obviously being sarcastic...but maybe you could try that for a couple of days?! Unless you wouldn't get a good night's sleep on the couch.

Good luck with all that!

<For the new and reruns setting, while I sat down with my wife and showed her the do's and don't's on the new DVRs as we got them (and she's great at it now), there are times where she rushes or the Hopper freaks out and the record option gets set to new and reruns by mistake, which is a pain.>
That would just make it super inconvenient for me though. I've already told her the "rules" where she's not allowed to delete anything but she still does it. I made a new rule where she's not allowed to record anything, but she'll still do that as well. Thing is, she denies doing it but I was sitting there when she deleted one of my movies. She did it right in front of me. I said "LOOK YOU JUST DELETED MY MOVIE!" and she even denied it right then and there. It's not that she is doing it on purpose, she's just very careless with things. I am afraid to show her how to edit a DVR event. She will wind up deleting my upcoming recordings and such. It's like the more things I show her, the more things she messes up.

Reactions: Tron2012
This is why we are getting two of the Hopper 3's at my house. I don't want to scroll through endless episodes of "The Bachelor" and I don't want my wife and daughter "accidentally" deleting my stuff to make room for their crap. This is how we keep a happy family. Cheaper than divorce!
Didn't think two h3's were an option that dish would activate yet...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

They will when you order two different accounts at the same address....

...and they cannot both be on the same network. Have to be independent of each other so no sharing (viewing) of recordings from one H3 to the other. Why a two account system may just be a good (albeit more expensive) option for the ones with a not-so-better half manning the remote! ;)

...and they cannot both be on the same network. Have to be independent of each other so no sharing (viewing) of recordings from one H3 to the other. Why a two account system may just be a good (albeit more expensive) option for the ones with a not-so-better half manning the remote! ;)
I wish we could get some kind of news for the new DPH42 switch so we can get more than one Hopper 3 on the same account. Has anyone heard anything at all other than by the end of the year?

I would have to get rid of the wife before paying for 2 accounts to get (2) hopper 3's.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts